Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-28-2017, 02:08 AM   #5461
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Na Horuk Quote
With super telephoto vibrations are a real problem! With DSLRs even the mirror movement can cause visible vibrations. On the Q, that is not a problem. But pressing the shutter button is a big shake, so using timer (even better, with a remote) is best. Don't move around the tripod, as walking nearby can cause vibrations (this is mostly a problem for long exposures). Even wind or a breeze can cause vibrations if the lens is big.
The heavier the tripod, the less this will be a problem. But heavy tripods are bulky and difficult to transport so you have to find a compromise.
Of course, technique is important as well. For me, my results improved once I learned to press the shutter button slowly, gently. When I first started I didn't even notice that when I pushed the button I actually pushed very suddenly and with too much power. Its not needed and it has negative consequences. If you are hand holding the camera, using a good stance or bracing against something like a wall or tree can make a big difference, as well. Walking quickly, then suddenly stopping, extending arms while breathing heavily and snapping a shot usually leads to blur. Taking a couple seconds and being aware of yourself improves things a lot

Edit: Sorry if I went on bit of a rant there its just something I struggled with when I first started and its a weird realization people don't often fully appreciate
Thanks for your input.

I'm on smaller lenses atm, exploring a cmount. The next few months will be an industar 28/2.8 rangefinder lens, an auto 110 and one more c-mount.

After which I'll be going towards the bigger lenses, so your reminders are good for me to keep in the back of my mind.

---------- Post added 05-28-17 at 07:10 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by rmcnelly Quote
At 1380mm equivalent focal length it doesn't take much to jar the image and the length of this lens just adds more risk of movement. I've used this lens on my Panasonic GX8 which has a 2x crop factor and use the self timer to reduce vibrations when taking shots of the moon. I'm struggling to get a smooth shutter release without jerking the Q-S1 and may try using a hot shoe mounted thumb rest from my X100 to see if that helps.

I took the Tamron SP 60-300 out yesterday with the monopod and found it very difficult to keep steady at the 300mm setting, much easier at 200mm = 920mm FF equivalent . I tried changing my left hand grip either on the lens or the monopod without finding a clear solution. I'm recovering from an extensive left rotator cuff surgery and currently have little strength/endurance with my left arm :-(. I think I'll have better results once my shoulder fully heals.
I have a thumb rest shoe mount thing on my q-s1.

I'm impressed that you even tried using the 23a on a monopod. I bow down to you!

No kidding about the keepers - I especially like the water splash one of the duckies.

Are you using the proper Q/k adapter? Or just the generic one?

I have a generic one and have yet to decide how I'm going to mattify the inside.

05-28-2017, 02:31 AM   #5462
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Rmcnelly, great use of monopod. Are you still using SR? Have heard monopds shake enough to be useful with SR. Haven't tried it.

Spectacular shot with fisheye manipulation.
Thanks
barondla
05-28-2017, 05:00 AM   #5463
Forum Member

QuoteOriginally posted by wolfiegirl Quote
I have a thumb rest shoe mount thing on my q-s1.

I'm impressed that you even tried using the 23a on a monopod. I bow down to you!

No kidding about the keepers - I especially like the water splash one of the duckies.

Are you using the proper Q/k adapter? Or just the generic one?

I have a generic one and have yet to decide how I'm going to mattify the inside.

Thanks,

I'm using a generic Minolta to Q adapter (which has a small tripod mount) and also use an M42 to Minolta adaptor so I can use the M42 lenses.

---------- Post added 05-28-17 at 08:02 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by barondla Quote
Rmcnelly, great use of monopod. Are you still using SR? Have heard monopds shake enough to be useful with SR. Haven't tried it.

Spectacular shot with fisheye manipulation.
Thanks
barondla
Thanks,

Yes I'm still using Shake Reduction and have not tried turning it off.

--Rick
05-28-2017, 09:13 AM   #5464
Veteran Member

Ok that's great to know. I don't see any glow in these images. Did u do much pp?

What numbers are you dialling in for sr? Just whatever zoom value the lens states?

05-28-2017, 12:22 PM - 4 Likes   #5465

Few from Sunday Market w/02

Rick
05-28-2017, 09:14 PM - 1 Like   #5466
Forum Member

Ok that's great to know. I don't see any glow in these images. Did u do much pp?

What numbers are you dialling in for sr? Just whatever zoom value the lens states?

Always pp in Lr, especially when using vintage lenses.

All I dd for SR was enter 300 for the lens focal length.
05-29-2017, 01:24 AM   #5467
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Hinomaru Quote
Few from Sunday Market w/02
that first one is a stunner! all that colour!

A few more from the c mount

starbursts at f16!

And this one looked like it was on its way to explore (826 views!), but fell off before I got an invite

Lumax (B&H) 1inch f1.9 c mount, Q-s1
Save
05-29-2017, 05:39 AM   #5468
Forum Member

that first one is a stunner! all that colour!

A few more from the c mount

starbursts at f16!

And this one looked like it was on its way to explore (826 views!), but fell off before I got an invite

Lumax (B&H) 1inch f1.9 c mount, Q-s1
Save
That last pic is sublime!

05-29-2017, 05:07 PM - 1 Like   #5469
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I've just bought a Q7 from a supplier in Germany (Alpaphoto) who seems to be able to source B-stock in as-new condition. Back of a cupboard, trade fairs and that sort of thing, so they say. The camera arrived very quickly and was absolutely mint - only a small tear to the box.

They also had the genuine Adapter Q for K Mount Lens, so resistance was futile. I'll be using that with my A135/2.8 shortly.

The 02 zoom needed a run out, so here are a couple of shots. I used to have a K-01, but it is going to take me a while to get used to 4:3 again. I couldn't resist cropping the first in 3:2...
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX Q7  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX Q7  Photo 
05-29-2017, 06:35 PM - 3 Likes   #5470
Forum Member

Got caught in a storm yesterday and was able to shoot many pics from the passenger seat. Used the B&W mode to help visualize, but all edits were done on the RAW files in Silver Efex Pro. Some manually focused. All of these with the 02 lens.

---------- Post added 05-29-17 at 09:36 PM ----------

05-30-2017, 01:49 AM - 1 Like   #5471
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Shedking Quote
I've just bought a Q7 from a supplier in Germany (Alpaphoto) who seems to be able to source B-stock in as-new condition. Back of a cupboard, trade fairs and that sort of thing, so they say. The camera arrived very quickly and was absolutely mint - only a small tear to the box.

They also had the genuine Adapter Q for K Mount Lens, so resistance was futile. I'll be using that with my A135/2.8 shortly.

The 02 zoom needed a run out, so here are a couple of shots. I used to have a K-01, but it is going to take me a while to get used to 4:3 again. I couldn't resist cropping the first in 3:2...
We'll be watching!
05-30-2017, 02:24 PM   #5472
Forum Member

Pentax Q-S1 w/Sears Auto 28/2.8 Macro. Very soft and glowy even when stopped down.

w/MC Rokkor 50/3.5 Macro w/1:1 extension in poor light, not my best work.

Last edited by rmcnelly; 05-30-2017 at 03:22 PM.
05-30-2017, 03:27 PM   #5473
Forum Member

Pentax Q-S1 w/MC Rokkor 50/3.5 Macro

at 1:2

05-31-2017, 01:06 PM - 1 Like   #5474
Forum Member

3 shot HDR with 08 lens merged in Lr, click to see it at full resolution on Flickr.

Last edited by rmcnelly; 06-01-2017 at 09:40 AM.
05-31-2017, 06:54 PM   #5475
Forum Member

Q-S1 w/08 lens.