Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-28-2012, 07:18 PM   #556
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Q at the hockey rink! I shot home games there with my K-5 and a Sigma 70-200 but the Q slipped right in a pocket this time as a complement. I bet people wondered what I did with the small camera when I had a big one hanging on the shoulder!
Not the the plexiglass eats contrast like a hungry crocodile in a chicken cage and this is straight out of camera Jpeg.

I'm actually impressed by that little wonder with that fast standard prime!

Name:  IMGP0325.jpg
Views: 603
Size:  96.4 KB

Name:  IMGP0329.jpg
Views: 599
Size:  93.6 KB

Name:  IMGP0330.jpg
Views: 569
Size:  92.4 KB

Name:  IMGP0334.jpg
Views: 570
Size:  85.6 KB

Name:  IMGP0339.jpg
Views: 596
Size:  109.7 KB

10-28-2012, 07:26 PM   #557
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by VisualDarkness Quote
Like the "chin to the guitar man" there!
dude was seriously hammered, there was a guy in a costume next to him playing those toy guitars you give babies, haha, probably was holding his head up...
10-28-2012, 07:47 PM   #558
Pentaxian

One of the pic from the same shooting as my last post with some PP. I find it impressive! If only it would be possible to half the shutter speed I could leave the K-5 at home and save my back/shoulders.

Ps. The tracking in Q works great!
Name:  IMGP0336-Redigera-2.jpg
Views: 588
Size:  75.3 KB

Last edited by VisualDarkness; 10-28-2012 at 07:56 PM.
10-28-2012, 11:21 PM   #559

@VisualDarkness: what iso did you use to made the hockeyshots?

Henk

10-28-2012, 11:29 PM   #560
Veteran Member

My Q attended a little athletics relay meet that my kids were in, along with the K5. This is, err, perhaps not the Q's natural use or environment. especially since i only have the prime

I took about 500 shots with the K, and about 10 with the Q, lol. But i think - like most uses for the Q - it could make a unique little sports event camera if i prepare and have a strategy ahead of the game.

Last edited by saladin; 10-28-2012 at 11:35 PM.
10-29-2012, 12:15 AM   #561
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by henkvanzuylen Quote
@VisualDarkness: what iso did you use to made the hockeyshots?

Henk
Ah, the direct uploader kills the exif. It seems to be ISO250-800 but I should have gone slightly higher to get a tad brighter exposure. The F1.9 kept the ISO down. The processed one that I posted last is a pushed ISO250.

Got some unprocessed Jpegs with high ISO and low NR too from a night light walk and I find them workable. The mayor problem I've faced in low light isn't ISO, it's flare from the lightsources. I guess that would be helped if I get a hood (that really should be included).

The poster himself in minus degrees and ISO3200
Name:  IMGP0348.jpg
Views: 567
Size:  56.9 KB

A cold hand at ISO3200
Name:  IMGP0392.jpg
Views: 566
Size:  119.6 KB

Star shot handheld at ISO3200 and I could actually just see two of them with my bare eyes.
Attachment 145344

Long shutter speed fun.
Name:  IMGP0352.jpg
Views: 566
Size:  32.0 KB

And a shot just to show how much detail there actually still is in the shot. With some PP it is for sure printable in small sizes and I've seen good shots with ISO3200 film so why would it be impossible despite the small sensor?
Name:  IMGP0368.jpg
Views: 553
Size:  91.0 KB

Last edited by VisualDarkness; 10-02-2013 at 05:01 AM.
10-29-2012, 03:00 AM   #562

QuoteOriginally posted by saladin Quote
My Q attended a little athletics relay meet that my kids were in, along with the K5. This is, err, perhaps not the Q's natural use or environment. especially since i only have the prime

I took about 500 shots with the K, and about 10 with the Q, lol. But i think - like most uses for the Q - it could make a unique little sports event camera if i prepare and have a strategy ahead of the game.
Wow! That first shot is outstanding. Did you use tracking focus, or manual focus somewhere on the ground and trip when the runner came by?

I think the Q will be an outstanding little kid-sports camera with the new tele zoom. F2.8 should keep ISO down and shutter speeds up, and the burst mode is really quite good. And the weight will be much less than a K5 with 2.8 zoom
10-29-2012, 03:10 AM   #563

Ah, the direct uploader kills the exif. It seems to be ISO250-800 but I should have gone slightly higher to get a tad brighter exposure. The F1.9 kept the ISO down. The processed one that I posted last is a pushed ISO250.

Got some unprocessed Jpegs with high ISO and low NR too from a night light walk and I find them workable. The mayor problem I've faced in low light isn't ISO, it's flare from the lightsources. I guess that would be helped if I get a hood (that really should be included).

And a shot just to show how much detail there actually still is in the shot. With some PP it is for sure printable in small sizes and I've seen good shots with ISO3200 film so why would it be impossible despite the small sensor?
Great shots, to be honest that's pretty astonishing for ISO3200 from such a tiny sensor. I rarely use my Q above ISO640, where I feel it takes a nosedive; I rely heavily on the image stabilizer, which is quite excellent. But sometimes I remind myself its ok to push it a bit. My wife's Q is set to float up to 3200 and she took some pretty good city night shots at and around ISO2000.

I've shot TMax 3200 a few times, although I tended to push Tri-X instead of spring for the 3200 films due to cost and limited shelf life of the faster stock. The hardest thing I dealt with when pushing that far was contrast--it quickly gets out of hand. The Q does much better there, so I think you'd get more well-exposed and useable images with more regularity vs. pushing film. I think the film will still hold an edge in detail and resolution, but I'm not so sure about tonality.

Maybe I'll do a little test there--Kodak just discontinued the TMax 3200 product, so this would be my only chance to do so !

By the way--you mentioned your hockey shots were ISO250 and up. Do you have highlight compensation turned on? If so, try turning it off. Shadow Compensation OFF, also. Your contrast will improve. Cool captures, anyway, tho.

10-29-2012, 03:56 AM   #564
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Lisa Mitchell played the Governor Hindmarsh last night. I covered it for my music website with my big cameras and serious lenses, but snuck in a couple of shots with the Q for fun.

10-29-2012, 06:38 AM   #565
Veteran Member

Brought the Q to camp over the weekend... and it was a good idea as the SDM motor in my DA*16-50 has started to die... again.

The site in black and white

I spent about an hour splitting wood as the kids were away at an activity

We needed the wood for this obviously

And that was for:

Pat
10-29-2012, 08:23 AM   #566
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by ndjedinak Quote
Great shots, to be honest that's pretty astonishing for ISO3200 from such a tiny sensor. I rarely use my Q above ISO640, where I feel it takes a nosedive; I rely heavily on the image stabilizer, which is quite excellent. But sometimes I remind myself its ok to push it a bit. My wife's Q is set to float up to 3200 and she took some pretty good city night shots at and around ISO2000.

I've shot TMax 3200 a few times, although I tended to push Tri-X instead of spring for the 3200 films due to cost and limited shelf life of the faster stock. The hardest thing I dealt with when pushing that far was contrast--it quickly gets out of hand. The Q does much better there, so I think you'd get more well-exposed and useable images with more regularity vs. pushing film. I think the film will still hold an edge in detail and resolution, but I'm not so sure about tonality.

Maybe I'll do a little test there--Kodak just discontinued the TMax 3200 product, so this would be my only chance to do so !

By the way--you mentioned your hockey shots were ISO250 and up. Do you have highlight compensation turned on? If so, try turning it off. Shadow Compensation OFF, also. Your contrast will improve. Cool captures, anyway, tho.
Yeah, I find the SR really good and handholding at 1/6s is workable. The only problem with shake is that I'm not used to the light body therefor I often slightly tilt the camera when pushing the shutter button inducing some shake. I'm most impressed with the tracking that is more reliable than the one in the K-5, at least when subjects are moving across the frame. The AF never failed and that are some bad conditions for AF with the low light and reduces contrast and increased glare from the glass but contrast detection actually works like charm. I guess the high contrast between players and the ice helps a lot.

You have to do the test! 3200 film vs pushed film vs Q vs maybe a DSLR, it would be interesting.

I had shadow compensation off as I haven't fund any real use for it on the K-5 nor the Q. The lack of contrast is due to me experimenting with the contrast slider, together with the plexi glass , and I deem these shots as failed when it comes to the settings. The good side o the lack of extremes in the low contrast shots is that they are really easy to work with in Lightroom, but why shoot Jpeg then?
10-29-2012, 09:35 AM   #567
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Sandy Hancock Quote
Lisa Mitchell played the Governor Hindmarsh last night. I covered it for my music website with my big cameras and serious lenses, but snuck in a couple of shots with the Q for fun.
Nice capture !

QuoteOriginally posted by ve2vfd Quote
The site in black and white
This looks like out of the 1800's.
10-29-2012, 09:37 AM   #568
Pentaxian

That shot shows some great composition!
QuoteOriginally posted by ve2vfd Quote
Brought the Q to camp over the weekend... and it was a good idea as the SDM motor in my DA*16-50 has started to die... again.

Pat
Brr, could use that fire at the moment as I'm freezing.
10-29-2012, 01:07 PM   #569

Fantastic!!
10-29-2012, 01:10 PM   #570

Yeah, I find the SR really good and handholding at 1/6s is workable. The only problem with shake is that I'm not used to the light body therefor I often slightly tilt the camera when pushing the shutter button inducing some shake. I'm most impressed with the tracking that is more reliable than the one in the K-5, at least when subjects are moving across the frame. The AF never failed and that are some bad conditions for AF with the low light and reduces contrast and increased glare from the glass but contrast detection actually works like charm. I guess the high contrast between players and the ice helps a lot.

You have to do the test! 3200 film vs pushed film vs Q vs maybe a DSLR, it would be interesting.

I had shadow compensation off as I haven't fund any real use for it on the K-5 nor the Q. The lack of contrast is due to me experimenting with the contrast slider, together with the plexi glass , and I deem these shots as failed when it comes to the settings. The good side o the lack of extremes in the low contrast shots is that they are really easy to work with in Lightroom, but why shoot Jpeg then?
Your Q shutter button should break in over a few thousand frames--ours is much better now. I think. Or maybe I'm just used to the light body, also

I'll try tracking tonight if I can! Haven't even tried it yet :0

I've been conjuring up a Ricoh GRD vs Q test, I could add in a Ricoh GR1 easily enough. I also have a 28mm for my X-Pro...

Sure wish I had a 28mm prime for the Q. I'm tired of waiting, and grabbed the GRD to shoot while pentax twiddled their lens thumbs