Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-01-2012, 05:36 PM   #601
Veteran Member

ali,

i love the letterbox shot. that's awesome, my brain/eye took a second or so to decipher that it wasn't in fact a real door, lol.

11-01-2012, 05:38 PM   #602
Veteran Member

I'm finding it's not easy to get shallow DOF with the prime (no surprise there,) , but when you do I quite like the bokeh (with a green background, anyway) and subject isolation. Though even at iso250, noise is evident at larger viewing sizes.

iso 250 / f 1.9 / 1/640th in AV mode. shot raw, jpeg processed in silky. N/R kept at minimum.

seriously, how much fun is this camera? my kids think i'm crazy, i walk them to school some days, suddenly whip out the cam and take a random pic of something. lol. I love my k5 and k10, but you just don't do that off-the-cuff stuff with them regularly.

Last edited by saladin; 11-02-2012 at 01:38 AM.
11-01-2012, 05:43 PM   #603
Site Supporter

Ali Graham, Spellcaster:

Wow!
11-01-2012, 07:06 PM   #604
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by NickLarsson Quote
Just received my Q yesterday, here are my first shots

Really nice shots!
Love the way you captured the 'decisive moment'

11-01-2012, 08:18 PM   #605
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by spellcaster Quote
hi!

some night shots

That graffiti shot is too funny!
Who says that graffiti only is ugly, destructive and got nothing to bring?

QuoteOriginally posted by saladin Quote
I'm finding it's not easy to get shallow DOF with the prime (no surprise there,) , but when you do I quite like the bokeh (with a green background, anyway) and subject isolation. Though even at iso250, noise is evident at larger viewing sizes.

iso 250 / f 1.9 / 1/640th in AV mode. shot raw, jpeg processed in . N/R kept at minimum.

seriously, how much fun is this camera? my kids think i'm crazy, i walk them to school some days, suddenly whip out the cam and take a random pic of something. lol. I love my k5 and k10, but you just don't do that off-the-cuff stuff with them regularly.
It's really fun to use and , yeah, when you get some OOF backgrounds it really looks good. The biggest problem seem to be how it handles flare. Instead of stars I often get ugly circles on bright light sources and don't mention the power purple stuff. I guess that hoods would help a bit.
11-01-2012, 10:55 PM   #606

@spelcaster: that picture from the stairs is superb!...love it!

@saladin: nice flowershot with the waterdrops.

Henk
11-01-2012, 11:06 PM   #607
Pentaxian

A couple of night shots from my lively (not so) home "town":

11-02-2012, 12:31 AM   #608

I keep looking at the pictures of other posters on this forum and I am amazed at the sharpness that some of you guys are getting, I still seem to be struggling with it. Unless of course you sharpen up your images through post processing? I find that when I leave the Q on auto iso, it very quickly bumps up the ISO, even in daylight in slightly overcast conditions it starts increasing iso. Furthermore my images are quite soft, maybe I'm spending too much time staring at 100% blown up images. Below is an example, I took a picture of the same building in a park, one with my Nikon D40 with 35mm prime, the other with the Q. The Nikon stayed at its base iso of 200, 1/40th of a second shutter speed at f8. The Pentax was also on Av, set to f8, it bumped up the iso to 320 and shutter speed was 1/60th. When I compare the Nikon and the D40, under good light conditions I don't see much difference, except for the slight softness in the Q images that is there 90% of the time. However as soon as the light deteriorates the slightest bit, I lose sharpness.

Anyway, I still love the Q and despite some misgivings I have about it, it is still with me 100% of the time while my Nikon stays at home most of the time. The Q makes me want to take pictures and it makes me think all the time about what I am doing.

Nikon picture at the top.

Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
NIKON D40  Photo   
11-02-2012, 01:34 AM   #609
Veteran Member

Cobus, I'm sure you probably already know, but by f8 the Q is suffering badly from diffusion (on the prime anyway). Maybe that's part of the softness? Also, because nr is never actually off, and the sensor is a relatively noisy one, could that be eating at the sharpness too? The Q image you posted is certainly "foggier". The bumped up ISO and yet slower shutter is interesting. The nd filter wasn't turned on?

Last edited by saladin; 11-02-2012 at 01:40 AM.
11-02-2012, 02:10 AM   #610

Saladin, thanks for your comments, maybe you're right about the f8 issue, I wasn't aware of the diffusion issue. I didn't have the ND filter on, that's for sure. I get quite a lot of those "foggy" pictures for some or other reason, problem is that here in Paris for the last few weeks since I got the Q the weather has been awful, mostly grey skies, and the Q doesn't seem to like that very much. As it is the grey skies make pictures look awfully flat and dull, and as I said I discovered that the Q bumps up the iso automatically as soon as the light is less than perfect. When I look at the pictures that pinholecam posted, taken with the fisheye which I would have thought to be less sharp perhaps than the 01 prime, I am surprised at the sharpness.

At one stage I thought I was maybe blurring the pictures slightly due to movement, or that my focus was maybe slightly off, but I have installed the latest firmware and tried fine tuning focus manually using the focus peaking feature and I still get quite soft results and missing quite a bit of detail.
11-02-2012, 03:02 AM   #611
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by CobusBasson Quote
I find that when I leave the Q on auto iso, it very quickly bumps up the ISO, even in daylight in slightly overcast conditions it starts increasing iso..
I don't have my Q yet, but if my K5 is anything to go by, there is a setting for how fast it ramps up the ISO. Not nearly as much control as I'd like, but you can probably improve your experience.

Furthermore my images are quite soft, maybe I'm spending too much time staring at 100% blown up images. Below is an example, I took a picture of the same building in a park, one with my Nikon D40 with 35mm prime, the other with the Q. The Nikon stayed at its base iso of 200, 1/40th of a second shutter speed at f8. The Pentax was also on Av, set to f8, it bumped up the iso to 320 and shutter speed was 1/60th. When I compare the Nikon and the D40, under good light conditions I don't see much difference, except for the slight softness in the Q images that is there 90% of the time. However as soon as the light deteriorates the slightest bit, I lose sharpness.
As has already been mentioned (but missspelled to a different word) you get a lot of diffraction at f/8. Same as you would get at f/32 on your D40. Never stop down past f/4 unless there's a real need. Take the aperture you would have used on the D40 and divide by 4. (Admittedly not always possible.)
11-02-2012, 04:58 AM - 1 Like   #612
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
A fish-eye shot.

11-02-2012, 05:51 AM   #613
Site Supporter

Saladin, thanks for your comments, maybe you're right about the f8 issue, I wasn't aware of the diffusion issue. I didn't have the ND filter on, that's for sure. I get quite a lot of those "foggy" pictures for some or other reason, problem is that here in Paris for the last few weeks since I got the Q the weather has been awful, mostly grey skies, and the Q doesn't seem to like that very much. As it is the grey skies make pictures look awfully flat and dull, and as I said I discovered that the Q bumps up the iso automatically as soon as the light is less than perfect. When I look at the pictures that pinholecam posted, taken with the fisheye which I would have thought to be less sharp perhaps than the 01 prime, I am surprised at the sharpness.

At one stage I thought I was maybe blurring the pictures slightly due to movement, or that my focus was maybe slightly off, but I have installed the latest firmware and tried fine tuning focus manually using the focus peaking feature and I still get quite soft results and missing quite a bit of detail.
CobusBasson I read your previous post and I could relate to most of it, until I saw how soft the picture is. It almost seems as if your lens needs a good cleaning.

Then when I read your other post (quoted) I was laughing because it's the same here in Montreal. The weather has been bad bad bad since I got my Q (might be an un-documented feature).

I'm in agreement with the comment about sharpness of pinholecam's FE shots. I can't get sharpness anywhere near that and difference is certainly not because of diffraction in that case, the lense is a fixed f5.6.

Marc-Antoine
11-02-2012, 06:48 AM   #614
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by mamethot Quote
I was laughing because it's the same here in Montreal. The weather has been bad bad bad since I got my Q
I agree with that, it's also been my experience that the Q + prime is amazing sharp from f2 to f4, but above f4 things go downhill. As a rule I stay in the f 1.9-4.5 range and that seem to work well for me.

QuoteOriginally posted by saladin Quote
Cobus, I'm sure you probably already know, but by f8 the Q is suffering badly from diffusion (on the prime anyway)
Ah a fellow Montreal Q owner! Well, we now know there are at least 2 of us!

Pat
11-02-2012, 06:51 AM - 1 Like   #615
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by mamethot Quote
CobusBasson I read your previous post and I could relate to most of it, until I saw how soft the picture is. It almost seems as if your lens needs a good cleaning.

Then when I read your other post (quoted) I was laughing because it's the same here in Montreal. The weather has been bad bad bad since I got my Q (might be an un-documented feature).

I'm in agreement with the comment about sharpness of pinholecam's FE shots. I can't get sharpness anywhere near that and difference is certainly not because of diffraction in that case, the lense is a fixed f5.6.

Marc-Antoine
I'm not sure about toy lens variations, but the fisheye I have is pretty decent.

here is a 100% crop. Its unprocessed beyond my initial Q jpg settings.

this was the whole image

I'd happy enough with it. Not as 'toy lens' to me.

I don't pixel peep Q files anyway (that was never the point for me for this camera)
Sharpening in PP helps of course, but it should not be as bad as some of the samples faced by CobusBasson.

Here's another one. This time with Prime01.

100% crop