05-24-2020, 06:05 AM   #6377

Social Distancing

05-24-2020, 07:22 AM - 1 Like   #6378
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

05-25-2020, 06:55 AM - 4 Likes   #6379

Photos: Albums
Q7 Macros

Recently acquired an original K-Q-Adapter and of course had to try it.

First with a FA50/1.4 at approx. f2.4 - hand held:

Then with a Tamron 90mm Macro at f8 - tripod used:

The last one was a 5 second exposure - the Q7 / Tamron combo really is well balanced on the K-Q-Adapter when used with the tripod foot. A real breeze to setup and shoot with.

Phil

05-25-2020, 07:48 AM - 1 Like   #6380
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Inspiring shots, Phil. Keep it up!
05-28-2020, 03:15 AM - 4 Likes   #6381
Forum Member

I swung by the West Mooring Basin Wednesday afternoon. This little camera does good color and detail, it punches well above it's weight, especially in good light.

The town I live in, Astoria, has a lot of working fishermen. This, along with the other local trade of lumbering, is a terribly dangerous way to earn a living. There are lots of fishing boats around here and they all have to cross the Columbia Bar to get to open water. Check out the Columbia Bar on YouTube. This area is known as the Graveyard of the Pacific for good reason. The US Coast Guard has its rescue training school across the river and other countries all over the world send their folks here to learn how to rescue in the most terrible conditions to be found. And that Columbia Bar can change from placid to horrendous in a matter of minutes. You can be damned sure I am not interested in going out there.

We love the pilots who bring the ships across the bar, fair weather or foul. The bar pilots get the ships to Astoria where the river pilot takes over from Astoria to Idaho if be needs be. And we really love "The Coasties" who will come out and save your ass when you are clawing your way off the lee shore and every other rational person is at home by the fire. The fishing boats do not cross the bar with a pilot.
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX Q-S1  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX Q-S1  Photo 

Last edited by boojum; 06-04-2020 at 06:06 PM.
06-01-2020, 03:28 PM - 3 Likes   #6382
Forum Member

Here's a couple from the same outing. OK, I can't count, three.

Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX Q-S1  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX Q-S1  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX Q-S1  Photo 
06-05-2020, 09:51 PM - 2 Likes   #6383
Forum Member

Will he ever stop? You know, I've asked myself the same question. This is Seaside beach at the north end of town with the tide out and the sun directly ahead.
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX Q-S1  Photo 
06-06-2020, 01:29 PM   #6384
kwb
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by boojum Quote
I swung by the West Mooring Basin Wednesday afternoon. This little camera does good color and detail, it punches well above it's weight, especially in good light.

The town I live in, Astoria, has a lot of working fishermen. This, along with the other local trade of lumbering, is a terribly dangerous way to earn a living. There are lots of fishing boats around here and they all have to cross the Columbia Bar to get to open water. Check out the Columbia Bar on YouTube. This area is known as the Graveyard of the Pacific for good reason. The US Coast Guard has its rescue training school across the river and other countries all over the world send their folks here to learn how to rescue in the most terrible conditions to be found. And that Columbia Bar can change from placid to horrendous in a matter of minutes. You can be damned sure I am not interested in going out there.

Columbia River bar entry - YouTube

Those Who Serve: Columbia River bar pilots risk their lives to guide cargo ships - YouTube

Station Cape Disappointment trains near Ilwaco, Wash. - YouTube

Fishing Vessel Capsizes on the Columbia River Bar - YouTube

We love the pilots who bring the ships across the bar, fair weather or foul. The bar pilots get the ships to Astoria where the river pilot takes over from Astoria to Idaho if be needs be. And we really love "The Coasties" who will come out and save your ass when you are clawing your way off the lee shore and every other rational person is at home by the fire. The fishing boats do not cross the bar with a pilot.
Hi boojum, I live more than 300 miles upstream, I never knew that the Columbia Bar was such a dangerous place!
06-06-2020, 11:48 PM - 4 Likes   #6385
kwb
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Q7 and 480mm f/6 telescope. This is basically the same shot I have posted to another thread (Crop Factor - PentaxForums.com) but after adjusting sharpness.

Moon, 2020 May 31 by k kwb, on Flickr

The phase of the moon is almost the same as my previous moon shot (Let's share shots with Q! - Page 425 - PentaxForums.com) but this time it's much sharper. The main difference I think is that after taking the previous shot on a teeny travel tripod I retrieved a sturdier tripod from my office.
06-07-2020, 12:34 AM   #6386
Forum Member

Nice one. I have to hook up the Tamron 500mm mirror to the Q-S1, nail it to a tripod, and try my luck with some moon shots. Maybe even Venus if it shows up off my back porch.
06-07-2020, 11:33 PM   #6387
kwb
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Nice one. I have to hook up the Tamron 500mm mirror to the Q-S1, nail it to a tripod, and try my luck with some moon shots. Maybe even Venus if it shows up off my back porch.
Thanks, you can try Saturn and Jupiter too! Please don't forget to post the results here!
06-20-2020, 02:37 AM - 1 Like   #6388
Forum Member

Riding around back in the farmland around here just seeing what there was. Ran across an original fence, a couple of nice old cars and a tree in sweet bloom. Here they are,
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX Q-S1  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX Q-S1  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX Q-S1  Photo 
06-20-2020, 06:30 AM - 1 Like   #6389
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Riding around back in the farmland around here just seeing what there was. Ran across an original fence, a couple of nice old cars and a tree in sweet bloom. Here they are,
Yep, people out in the country sometimes do weird (or at least different) stuff with no zoning boards, Home Owner's Association, or other regulators around to try to standardize them, regulate them, and homogenize them.
06-20-2020, 12:48 PM - 4 Likes   #6390
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery

Genuine Q on Celestron Astromaster - 70 (900 mm) - stacked from 3 images, cropped. I'm sure much better results are possible with this setup.