Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 5700 Likes Search this Thread
11-03-2012, 08:54 AM   #631

QuoteOriginally posted by NickLarsson Quote
Thanks Nate!

Well, for traveling in another country I prefer taking the K-r or the K-01 with 2 or 3 primes because I favor IQ, but for street shooting the Q is really great, people notice you far less and you can bring this little thing with you everyday
After I converted to digital with the original d-rebel, I was an IQ freak. Digital just didn't match film at that point, especially in dynamic range, and I worked very hard to get the best IQ possible from my digital gear.

Over time, though, this wore on me. Last fall I took one of my old Leicas and 2 simple lenses (28 and 50s from Zeiss, I didn't chance taking my Leica glass) to China. I mostly shot tri-x, although I mixed in color now and again. I really enjoyed the minimalist experience:
//www.flickr.com/photos/ndjedinak/sets/72157628141616732

Tri-x isn't very high resolution, and has fairly large grain in 35mm (120 is a different story). I find the Q roughly equal to one of my old Barack Leicas shot on tri-x with period screwmount lenses. That's pretty darn good. Thus, I conclude I could have taken the Q with me to china (if pentax had a nice 28mm!!), and the shots would have been roughly comparable.

I just visited Hawaii, and took my x-pro 1. IQ is certainly better than the Q side by side, I find the x-pro approaches what I can get out of medium format (with a flatbed scanner, at least). I was surprised after printing a Q and X-Pro shot at 16x20 how well the Q stacks up. Since that time, I've started to probe more of the Q's limits--certainly, they are lower than a modern DSLR or even 35mm loaded with good film. But they're close enough, and used optimally, I've concluded it's good enough for me!

I'm likely leaving the x-pro at home for my trip to Europe this winter. I want to see what I can get out of the Q. And I'm sure ill enjoy the experience!

Anyway, just some rambling thoughts, thanks for sharing your shots.

11-03-2012, 09:17 AM   #632
Riv

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by CobusBasson Quote
I keep looking at the pictures of other posters on this forum and I am amazed at the sharpness that some of you guys are getting, I still seem to be struggling with it. Unless of course you sharpen up your images through post processing? I find that when I leave the Q on auto iso, it very quickly bumps up the ISO, even in daylight in slightly overcast conditions it starts increasing iso. Furthermore my images are quite soft, maybe I'm spending too much time staring at 100% blown up images. Below is an example, I took a picture of the same building in a park, one with my Nikon D40 with 35mm prime, the other with the Q. The Nikon stayed at its base iso of 200, 1/40th of a second shutter speed at f8. The Pentax was also on Av, set to f8, it bumped up the iso to 320 and shutter speed was 1/60th. When I compare the Nikon and the D40, under good light conditions I don't see much difference, except for the slight softness in the Q images that is there 90% of the time. However as soon as the light deteriorates the slightest bit, I lose sharpness.

I do unless I state otherwise. Unless your posting images as a lens/sensor test I don't see the harm in it. Post processing is part of the process, and especially in the Q's case I think the ability to get a good final image (without a lot of fuss) is more important than untouched images straight out of the camera. The Q doesn't hold up well to pixel peeping, but it does do very well in real life usage in prints up to 16x20 I'm told(haven't had the chance to try it myself yet).

I'm just expressing my opinion, don't think I'm slamming you or anything
11-03-2012, 10:34 AM   #633
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Zorglub Quote
Exactly my thoughts!
Wow...that fire in the sky shot is great!!!

Henk
11-03-2012, 11:14 AM   #634

@Riv. Thanks for the comments and don't worry, I don't see it as slamming me at all. I agree with you that the Q doesn't hold up well to pixel peeping so I am stopping it now, in the beginning I tried to check a lot of detail to judge the quality of the images compared to my Nikon, but I am now starting to appreciate the Q for what it is and using it for its strong points. I enjoy it immensely and I have it with me all of the time. The only thing is that I don't have a lot of free time to spend on post processing, but I have started playing around with Lightroom 4 and Paintshop Pro X4 with the Nik effects plugin, I will spend a bit of time enhancing my best images and dump the rest in the souvenir bin.

11-04-2012, 02:47 AM - 1 Like   #635
Pentaxian

Some shots I've made this morning.
It's a old railroadbridge over a smaal swamp.

1 prime 01

2 fisheye (PP in B&W)

3 fisheye trail to the bridge

4 fisheye just a shot near the parkingplace

Henk
11-04-2012, 03:52 AM   #636
Inactive Account

I love your first photo, the old railroad bridge with the prime...
11-04-2012, 03:54 AM   #637
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by henkvanzuylen Quote
Some shots I've made this morning.
It's a old railroadbridge over a smaal swamp.

1 prime 01

2 fisheye (PP in B&W)

3 fisheye trail to the bridge

4 fisheye just a shot near the parkingplace

Henk
Nice shots, I like #1 and #3

11-04-2012, 04:44 AM   #638
Pentaxian

Thanks guys!
11-04-2012, 05:57 AM   #639

QuoteOriginally posted by CobusBasson Quote
@Riv. Thanks for the comments and don't worry, I don't see it as slamming me at all. I agree with you that the Q doesn't hold up well to pixel peeping so I am stopping it now, in the beginning I tried to check a lot of detail to judge the quality of the images compared to my Nikon, but I am now starting to appreciate the Q for what it is and using it for its strong points. I enjoy it immensely and I have it with me all of the time. The only thing is that I don't have a lot of free time to spend on post processing, but I have started playing around with Lightroom 4 and Paintshop Pro X4 with the Nik effects plugin, I will spend a bit of time enhancing my best images and dump the rest in the souvenir bin.
Before you stop pixel peeping and focus on photography with the Q, make certain you optimize the Q as described above--it WILL produce images equal to your D40 in many cases.

In any case, I agree with the sentiment. Pixel peeping is a disease I sometimes am afflicted with myself, and my photography always suffers!
11-04-2012, 09:10 AM - 2 Likes   #640

Playing around with light while sitting in a parking lot waiting....

Shawn

Last edited by Shawn67; 11-04-2012 at 09:16 AM.
11-04-2012, 06:01 PM   #641

QuoteOriginally posted by Shawn67 Quote

Shawn
Sweet--I love using that flare pattern, also!
11-04-2012, 06:28 PM   #642
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Shawn67 Quote

Shawn
That's a cool one! I got a similar when shooting in a children playground (how brutal did that sound?) the other day.
11-04-2012, 06:32 PM   #643
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by VisualDarkness Quote
That's a cool one!
Very!
11-05-2012, 04:48 AM - 1 Like   #644
Pentaxian

Last edited by saladin; 11-05-2012 at 05:37 AM.
11-05-2012, 09:42 AM   #645
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Nice shots @Shawn67 and @saladin !

This week-end I've played a bit with the bold monochrome preset at night, you can get some nice "film noir" look with it