Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-23-2012, 01:38 AM   #871
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
LeRolls I like the results on those bottles, nice shots.

11-23-2012, 07:28 AM   #872
Loyal Site Supporter

Another bottle: (cross-posted from https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/mini-challenges-games-photo-stories/19001...lit-shots.html)

01 Standard Prime, shot in RAW and processed in Silkypix, taking advantage of its built-in lens correction (which works well; I shot RAW+ and directly compared the Silkypix correction to the in-camera correction), plus its perspective control options.
11-23-2012, 09:37 AM   #873
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by crewl1 Quote
LeRolls I like the results on those bottles, nice shots.
Thanks! Much appreciated!
11-23-2012, 06:18 PM   #874
Loyal Site Supporter

First attempt at Q astrophotography, with DA*200 on 1.4x-L converter, 2 stops down (effective f/8):

11-23-2012, 07:12 PM   #875
Site Supporter

Countdown to rocket launch.
Monkey Ball Bush ready to disperse seeds.
Q + DFA100WR on Fotodiox q-k adapter, AF540 flash
Holy cow !! What a set up you've got there, Larry!

I am truly amazed how those macro shots turn out with the Q!

JP
11-23-2012, 07:32 PM   #876
Veteran Member

Countdown to rocket launch.
Monkey Ball Bush ready to disperse seeds.
Q + DFA100WR on Fotodiox q-k adapter, AF540 flash
Very nice Larry! And thanks for showing your setup - I love to see gear photos and the setup used.

One question - why the Better Beamer for a shot like this? Were you trying to concentrate the light to a small area?
11-23-2012, 08:01 PM   #877
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by stormtech Quote
Very nice Larry! And thanks for showing your setup - I love to see gear photos and the setup used.

One question - why the Better Beamer for a shot like this? Were you trying to concentrate the light to a small area?
I thought that unit had a soft panel in the front. I thought he used it to get a more diffuse light.
11-23-2012, 08:44 PM   #878
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Docrwm Quote
I thought that unit had a soft panel in the front. I thought he used it to get a more diffuse light.
Oh - right you are! I thought it was a Better Beamer for some reason - now that you mentioned it I looked again and see it is a softbox.

Thanks for setting me straight Doc!

11-23-2012, 10:34 PM - 1 Like   #879

I've been considering "going light" by taking only the Q on my next holiday abroad, so I took it along for an evening birthday celebration. I remain impressed with the Q; I can lean on the IS and keep the ISO down if I'd like (1/15 is a sure thing, 1/8 is almost as sure):

Or I can push the shutter speed up to more easily capture live subjects... This one at ISO 3200:

I'd like to figure out how to get custom WB to render more neutral, as mine seems to take on a magenta hue fairly typically. In general, though, I really can't fault this camera. It's so darn small, and so darn good.
11-23-2012, 11:08 PM   #880
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by jpzk Quote
Holy cow !! What a set up you've got there, Larry!
I am truly amazed how those macro shots turn out with the Q!
JP
Thanks JP. The Q ia a wonderful machine for macro. WIth the Fotodiox I am still battling the 1/13 sync speed, so took a ton of shots to get just a few that worked since it was a bit breezy.
Can't wait for the built in shutter of the OEM adapter so I can use faster shutter speed. The flash and DFA100 I had bought previously for macro with the K-5, but the Q takes it to a whole 'nother level.

QuoteOriginally posted by stormtech Quote
Hi Stan, thanks. I am always fascinated with how others set up for their photography, so I like to show my methods whenever I can. It helps me too when others see a setup and give suggestions for better/easier/cheaper ways of getting the same result.
The thing on the front is a diffuser as Doc points out. It's my 'Pringle can' way of getting light right over the subject. (Member hangman43 does wonderful insect macro this way.) https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/photographic-technique/184991-need-help-i...ml#post1948806
I started doing it with the K-5, and it works for the Q in this setup. The diffuser is an even more generic version of this, I bought it locally. Cowboystudio Large Universal Studio Softbox Flash Diffuser | eBay

QuoteOriginally posted by Docrwm Quote
You got it Doc, I've been trying to learn from the macro forums.
11-23-2012, 11:17 PM   #881
Veteran Member

Baro-nite, I like the backlit and the moon shot. Lucky for us you could still hold the Q steady after getting through that 1964
11-23-2012, 11:19 PM   #882
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by ndjedinak Quote
I remain impressed with the Q; I can lean on the IS and keep the ISO down if I'd like (1/15 is a sure thing, 1/8 is almost as sure): IMGP0538_LR by ndjedinak, on Flickr
Or I can push the shutter speed up to more easily capture live subjects... This one at ISO 3200:
Very nice results, my high ISO shots on the Q leave a lot to be desired. The glove shot looks really good.
11-24-2012, 12:50 AM   #883
Veteran Member

Thanks JP. The Q ia a wonderful machine for macro. WIth the Fotodiox I am still battling the 1/13 sync speed, so took a ton of shots to get just a few that worked since it was a bit breezy.
Can't wait for the built in shutter of the OEM adapter so I can use faster shutter speed. The flash and DFA100 I had bought previously for macro with the K-5, but the Q takes it to a whole 'nother level.

Hi Stan, thanks. I am always fascinated with how others set up for their photography, so I like to show my methods whenever I can. It helps me too when others see a setup and give suggestions for better/easier/cheaper ways of getting the same result.
The thing on the front is a diffuser as Doc points out. It's my 'Pringle can' way of getting light right over the subject. (Member hangman43 does wonderful insect macro this way.) https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/photographic-technique/184991-need-help-i...ml#post1948806
I started doing it with the K-5, and it works for the Q in this setup. The diffuser is an even more generic version of this, I bought it locally. Cowboystudio Large Universal Studio Softbox Flash Diffuser | eBay

You got it Doc, I've been trying to learn from the macro forums.
Nice setup, macro is a demanding mistress.
11-24-2012, 06:22 AM   #884
Loyal Site Supporter

Lucky for us you could still hold the Q steady after getting through that 1964
I had help.
11-24-2012, 06:56 AM   #885

Very nice results, my high ISO shots on the Q leave a lot to be desired. The glove shot looks really good.
Thanks, the key is to shoot RAW and process in a converter that allows you to fine tune noise reduction. I don't mind grain so I turn luminance NR off entirely and sprinkle color reduction to taste. Don't underexpose and pull up shadows, just leave the ambiance as-is. If you shoot "stuff" you can dial in some -EV for more ambiance. For people, shoot 0EV or you'll want to pull up shadows on skin in post, and that won't go well That's it, really, no special magic! The Q's sensor is quite good.

Here's a silly shot of a friend at 3200.

As I mentioned, my Q tends to push custom WB to the cool and magenta side. I'd like to sort that. Otherwise, impressive for a tiny sensored compact camera! To be honest, I personally couldn't do a whole lot better with film in this murderous lighting. And to think the Q fits in the palm of your hand. Astonishing! Here's a shot from years ago on Fuji 800z negative film pretty similar in nasty lighting, I think.