Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-22-2013, 01:38 PM   #1396
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Bentley is cool!
QuoteOriginally posted by Sandy Hancock Quote
FA31 again.

A bit late but that shot is just wonderful! The way the 31mm renders barely OOF areas really benefits the Q.

01-22-2013, 01:47 PM   #1397
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by stormtech Quote
It's so cold outside - this whole week is supposed to be just unbearable to be outside. So having a little fun inside while the wind chill is ~ -10F (-23C). Here is our weather forecast for the week:

Now where is Bentley, our 200# English Mastiff - he is big enough that you don't usually loose track of him.......oh there he is..........smart dog!

Can you tell that I am disturbing him with my little Q?
Bentley is awesome and smart too!
(But are you sure someone didn't sell you a horse?)
01-22-2013, 01:48 PM   #1398
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by stormtech Quote
It's so cold outside - this whole week is supposed to be just unbearable to be outside. So having a little fun inside while the wind chill is ~ -10F (-23C). Here is our weather forecast for the week:

Now where is Bentley, our 200# English Mastiff - he is big enough that you don't usually loose track of him.......oh there he is..........smart dog!

Can you tell that I am disturbing him with my little Q?
By the way Stan,

What lens did you use for the Bentley shot? That is incredibly sharp. Did you use a flash?
01-22-2013, 01:59 PM   #1399
Veteran Member

Thanks for all the great comments on Bentley - he really is quite the character. The look he is giving me here is actually "what are you doing interrupting my snooze by the fire - go away!"

QuoteOriginally posted by DaveInPA Quote
By the way Stan,

What lens did you use for the Bentley shot? That is incredibly sharp. Did you use a flash?
I was quite impressed with the results also - especially since it was more of a "snapshot" than anything.

01 prime lens - Q in "P" mode with no flash - hand held with arms extended down near the floor.

"P" mode gave me 1/25th sec, f1.9, ISO 400 (have ISO set variable 125-400).
Shot in raw.
Very little PP - I have a pre-set in Acdesee Pro6 for just some basics for the Q shots - just a slight adjustment of contrast (+5), saturation (+5), clarity (+5), and just a touch of sharpness. Actually I applied no noise reduction in this shot - not bad at all for ISO400 in fairly dark indoor conditions.

01-22-2013, 02:21 PM - 1 Like   #1400
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Well done Stan! I really like that shot.

I decided to try a shot with similar settings to see what I got (Got my Q last week but just starting to really explore it). My living room was on the dark side so I ended up at 1/15th second, handheld. I had to sneak up on the beast to reduce the chance of his unleashing his canine fury upon me.

I fortunately made it safely back to my office for upload. Some adjustments for exposure, highlights, contrast, clarity and some sharpening done in Lightroom.

01-22-2013, 03:27 PM   #1401
Site Supporter

G'Day All,

I took my new Q for a walk yesterday, was a little out of my comfort zone as I rarely use a fixed focal length ( I like to crop in camera).

Not a vast number of keepers.

Anyway: 01 Prime JPEGs straight from camera then re-sized unless otherwise stated.

Not sure how to crop that one yet, maybe something like this:

And for comparison, from the Kx with 18-250:

Lastly this little fellow(gal?):

100% crop

Small boost to saturation, sharpness and a little touch of red:

01-22-2013, 03:35 PM   #1402
Veteran Member

I had to sneak up on the beast to reduce the chance of his unleashing his canine fury upon me.
Ya'll need to quit bugging your pets That look is priceless, though.
01-22-2013, 03:37 PM   #1403
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by alfa75ts Quote
G'Day All,

I took my new Q for a walk yesterday, was a little out of my comfort zone as I rarely use a fixed focal length ( I like to crop in camera).

Not a vast number of keepers.

Anyway: 01 Prime JPEGs straight from camera then re-sized unless otherwise stated.

Not sure how to crop that one yet, maybe something like this:

And for comparison, from the Kx with 18-250:

Lastly this little fellow(gal?):

100% crop

Small boost to saturation, sharpness and a little touch of red:
Very good work. Whoah so those critters do exist? I thought they were the result of some experiment and my zoo had the only specimen!

01-22-2013, 03:49 PM   #1404
Veteran Member

Well done Stan! I really like that shot.

I decided to try a shot with similar settings to see what I got (Got my Q last week but just starting to really explore it). My living room was on the dark side so I ended up at 1/15th second, handheld. I had to sneak up on the beast to reduce the chance of his unleashing his canine fury upon me.

I fortunately made it safely back to my office for upload. Some adjustments for exposure, highlights, contrast, clarity and some sharpening done in Lightroom.
Your pics looks great also Dave. I have probably only shot my Q for 200 or so images so far, but as I continue it is amazing me with what it can do with the small sensor. I was so skeptical at first...

And - funny! You are getting the same "corner of the eye" look as I got!!
01-22-2013, 04:19 PM   #1405
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by crewl1 Quote
Whoah so those critters do exist?
I've only ever seen three in the wild, not an easy subject as they like to turn their back on any threats.

This was the previous one (Kx 18-250 cropped and resized).

When I get a K-Q adapter I'm going to have to try for a Platypus, never seen one of those in the wild.
01-22-2013, 04:32 PM   #1406
Loyal Site Supporter

I've only ever seen three in the wild, not an easy subject as they like to turn their back on any threats.
My wife and I were lucky to spot one on our one trip to Australia -- it was down near Wilson's Prom. We were driving along some back road and noticed something just off to the side. I started shouting excitedly as soon as I realized what it was, and we turned the car around and crept back for a look. As long as we stayed in the car with the windows up it didn't mind us. What a treat, as is seeing your excellent photos here!
01-22-2013, 07:31 PM   #1407
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by VisualDarkness Quote
A bit late but that shot is just wonderful! The way the 31mm renders barely OOF areas really benefits the Q.
Thanks VD. The FA31 really makes a wonderful short tele macro on the Q. The look and balance with the Pentax adaptor makes it feel like a native lens too.
01-22-2013, 07:35 PM   #1408
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery

This was the previous one (Kx 18-250 cropped and resized).

When I get a K-Q adapter I'm going to have to try for a Platypus, never seen one of those in the wild.
Funny pic! I really like the pose there.
01-22-2013, 07:36 PM   #1409
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by baro-nite Quote
We were driving along some back road and noticed
Damn, you just reminded me, I've seen four (but only photographed two).
01-23-2013, 08:57 AM   #1410
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by hnikesch Quote
I haven't commented on any of your shots yet, I think mostly because I have been speechless I like them all, Great Job

Hans
hey thank you very much Hans, I'm honored