Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 5700 Likes Search this Thread
10-25-2012, 07:12 AM   #526
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Discovered that it was freezing outside in the morning and took out the K-5 and the Q.
01 Prime:

Name:  IMGP0011.jpg
Views: 755
Size:  109.4 KB

Name:  IMGP0019.jpg
Views: 760
Size:  55.6 KB

Name:  IMGP0020.jpg
Views: 723
Size:  65.4 KB

Name:  IMGP0022.jpg
Views: 704
Size:  93.3 KB

Name:  IMGP0025.jpg
Views: 696
Size:  100.3 KB

10-25-2012, 07:52 AM   #527
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Great shots VisualD, looks ccccold !
10-25-2012, 08:03 AM   #528
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by crewl1 Quote
Great shots VisualD, looks ccccold !
Actually it was 4°C when I took the photoes so it started to melt when I switched to the K-5. The Q surprises me but I really have to learn the the different settings.
10-25-2012, 03:24 PM - 1 Like   #529

Some lovely images on this thread and it still amazes me what this little beauty can do.

Here are a few I've taken, hope you like...

Lovin' my Q...

Cheers

ali

10-25-2012, 03:47 PM   #530
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by ali graham Quote
Some lovely images on this thread and it still amazes me what this little beauty can do.

The road shot is so haunting! Which settings did you use? I just got the Q so I'm experimenting.
10-25-2012, 04:35 PM   #531

QuoteOriginally posted by VisualDarkness Quote
The road shot is so haunting! Which settings did you use? I just got the Q so I'm experimenting.
Hi VisualD,

From what I can remember, not at computer at mo.

It was set on quick dial on high contrast B&W with 1 to 1 crop, I have slightly cropped it in computer but basically straight from the Q.

It was a grab shot on way to work out the front window of the car, one bright misty morning, lucky enough to get the bird in frame too ;D

Cheers

ali
10-25-2012, 06:11 PM   #532

QuoteOriginally posted by VisualDarkness Quote
Discovered that it was freezing outside in the morning and took out the K-5 and the Q.
01 Prime:
Love the color in these shots! Subtle, nuanced, and yet rich. Nice work. What color mode did you tweak?

10-25-2012, 06:15 PM   #533

QuoteOriginally posted by ali graham Quote

Lovin' my Q...

Cheers

ali
I particularly like the misty road (good timing to capture the bird!) and the flower. I personally don't like high contrast B&W mode; it looks like negs left in the soup too long. Try the regular setting and adjust to taste--the tones are much more film like...

I like to use an appropriate "filter," contrast one down from max, fine sharpness +1, NR low, shadow and highlight compensation OFF. Try it.
10-25-2012, 11:14 PM   #534
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Fantastic shots!

Remember to update the firmware, it's got focus peaking in 1.10 - oh joy :-)

I'm still shooting monochrome high contrast and loving it.

10-25-2012, 11:53 PM   #535
Pentaxian

a silly question perhaps, but is "monochrome high contrast" what mine calls "bold monochrome" in the smart effect menu? or are you guys using monochrome and a high contrast digital filter?
10-25-2012, 11:54 PM   #536
Pentaxian

and it's interesting how many of us seem to naturally use the Q for monochrome work. i don't know what it is, but it feels like a monochrome camera by nature for some reason.
10-26-2012, 02:50 AM   #537

Windy night

I was out yesterday night in the first autumn "storm" - got this snap with my Chinese C-mount 1,4/6 mm:

Same pic - fiddled with the wb

Last edited by Erich_H; 11-09-2012 at 06:09 AM.
10-26-2012, 07:41 AM   #538
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by saladin Quote
a silly question perhaps, but is "monochrome high contrast" what mine calls "bold monochrome" in the smart effect menu? or are you guys using monochrome and a high contrast digital filter?
I have the language set to Danish, but it's the digital filter that gives you the High contrast with Two settings. I usually use the lowest setting and adjust with EV compensation.
10-26-2012, 08:02 AM   #539

QuoteOriginally posted by ndjedinak Quote
I particularly like the misty road (good timing to capture the bird!) and the flower. I personally don't like high contrast B&W mode; it looks like negs left in the soup too long. Try the regular setting and adjust to taste--the tones are much more film like...

I like to use an appropriate "filter," contrast one down from max, fine sharpness +1, NR low, shadow and highlight compensation OFF. Try it.
Hi ndjedinak, Thanks for your comments.
I'm kinda 'stuck' on this mono hi contrast at the moment, tried using B&W filter, but didn't get the bite i'm after, although I do agree sometimes it's just looks like too long in the soup, lol.

QuoteOriginally posted by saladin Quote
Hi saladin, yeah sorry, my bad, it's actually called 'Bold momochrome' in the smart efect, it was late and was not near cam to check, sorry for confusion.

Cheers

ali

Ooops, Zorglub beat me to it, I too use lowest setting on Bold Monochrome.

Last edited by ali graham; 10-26-2012 at 08:05 AM. Reason: Just noticed that Zorglub beat me to answer.
10-26-2012, 10:07 AM - 2 Likes   #540

I liken "bold monochrome" to cross processing. It's great used as a seasoning, but it shouldn't be your regular meal.

As an aside, over-souped-monochrome-look is very popular in digital B&W. I surmise this is related to the lack of tonality in digital vs film, and therefore users seek "punch" through extreme contrast. One could easily get this look on film, if so desired, bit rarely was it desired... Here's an example, shot on film (I made a calculation error in development and gave too much time in the soup)

It works ok, but there's such a lack of midtones, and the image would be better if rendered in a more full manner. From the same roll:

Doesn't work. Far too high in contrast. I feel the same of the Q image of the two boys shown above.

This image is pretty high contrast, but still maintains midtones:

Or this, outdoors... My scanner can't quite get the blacks or whites (it has less dynamic range than the Q!) but you should get the idea.

Midtones are very important. The forest image above would be much better IMO from the Q if exposure had been more carefully controlled (perhaps HDR mode used) and a lower contrast B&W treatment. Note I don't mean low contrast; but the almost featureless blacks with a blown out white sky don't really work for me. The Q can render much better.

Perhaps that's why I always dissuade Q users from that bold monochrome setting--unlike many digital cameras, the Q can generate a full range of B&W tones... You don't need the gimmick of adding punch by souping too long

To each his own, of course, and I'm prone to getting a wild hair on occasion. As evidence, I present a series in "cross process random" mode

As always, have fun. The Q is really good at that.