Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 5700 Likes Search this Thread
12-22-2012, 12:35 PM - 1 Like   #1141

QuoteOriginally posted by spikebebop Quote
drougge = Nice B/W pics , how have you set up your dial settings to achieve these shots? I'm still new to Q and finding it the dial set ups a bit difficult to to get to grips with.
The Q has a number of different B&W modes. One of which is sort of hidden and gives pretty close to tha stark contrast look SOOC.

In the third page of the shooting menu set the Quick Dial to Smart Effect. Then set one of the positions to "Bold Monochrome" and you get pretty close to that look. AFAIK that is the only way to get the 'Bold Monochrome' effect. I also setup another position for the regular B*W mode with filter Effect set to Cyan, High/Low Key Adjust -2, Contrast +4 and Sharpening at +2. I set another position for Reversal Film and the last for Bleach Bypass with Digital Filter set to High Contrast. I leave the off position on 'Natural.'

Shawn

12-22-2012, 12:37 PM   #1142
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Shawn67 Quote
The Q has a number of different B&W modes. One of which is sort of hidden and gives pretty close to tha stark contrast look SOOC.

In the third page of the shooting menu set the Quick Dial to Smart Effect. Then set one of the positions to "Bold Monochrome" and you get pretty close to that look. AFAIK that is the only way to get the 'Bold Monochrome' effect. I also setup another position for the regular B*W mode with filter Effect set to Cyan, High/Low Key Adjust -2, Contrast +4 and Sharpening at +2. I set another position for Reversal Film and the last for Bleach Bypass with Digital Filter set to High Contrast. I leave the off position on 'Natural.'

Shawn
Still gonna keep editing my RAW files in LR4 but I think its awesome that they allow you to have that level of control for in camera effects.
12-22-2012, 12:47 PM   #1143

I go back and forth. Sometimes shooting Raw+ to get the in camera effect and the RAW that I can then convert using Nik Silver Efex Pro as a comparison. The Nik conversions turn out better but are of course more work. For quick shots the in camera B&W can do a pretty good job as long as you are willing to dial in exposure compensation as needed.

Nice shots BTW. I might try adding a little grain to the crane shot. It will even out the sensor shadow noise and I think would fit with the moody atmosphere of that shot.

Shawn
12-22-2012, 03:55 PM   #1144
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Don't think this genre is worth its own thread, so here are a few 'silly dinosaur photos' plus one, shot while I was waiting for the bus.

Attached Images

View Picture EXIF
PENTAX Q  Photo 
12-22-2012, 05:28 PM   #1145
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by johnmflores Quote

John,
Have you written anything comparing the Q, K-01, V1, etc.? I enjoy your work and would appreciate your thoughts on those cameras. I believe you own, or have owned, those and other MILCs.
12-22-2012, 05:38 PM   #1146
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Docrwm Quote
John,
Have you written anything comparing the Q, K-01, V1, etc.? I enjoy your work and would appreciate your thoughts on those cameras. I believe you own, or have owned, those and other MILCs.
Funny you should mention that...these three cameras were likely the most ridiculed cameras of the last year or so. I'm planning a blog post on them - "The Island of Misfit Cameras". Prolly January.
12-22-2012, 05:42 PM   #1147
Pentaxian

Funny you should mention that...these three cameras were likely the most ridiculed cameras of the last year or so. I'm planning a blog post on them - "The Island of Misfit Cameras". Prolly January.
Would also be interested on your thoughts. Have a feeling that it won't be nearly as negative as the rest of the world's take...

12-22-2012, 05:52 PM - 1 Like   #1148
Veteran Member

I look forward to it. Your work speaks for itself.
12-22-2012, 06:12 PM - 1 Like   #1149
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Docrwm Quote
John,
I just happened to read a few articles on John's blog this afternoon. While he doesn't have any down right comparisons, he has written a couple nice pieces on the Q and K-01.

John - I enjoyed reading your blog and will continue to as you update it. I especially liked the article "The Case Against Full Frame".
12-22-2012, 07:45 PM   #1150
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by stormtech Quote
I just happened to read a few articles on John's blog this afternoon. While he doesn't have any down right comparisons, he has written a couple nice pieces on the Q and K-01.

John - I enjoyed reading your blog and will continue to as you update it. I especially liked the article "The Case Against Full Frame".
Stan,
I've enjoyed John's articles for some time. I know he has tried many different MILCs and, out of selfishness, wanted to hear his thoughts comparing them. I enjoy his work and am glad that he decided to stay on PF and continue to contribute.
12-23-2012, 01:32 PM   #1151
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Sunset, Frederick, MD

Nice suprise when I left work, glad I had my Q!!
Attached Images

12-23-2012, 03:02 PM - 3 Likes   #1152

Have the Q less than a week but it is the most enjoyable week of my photographic life!
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX Q  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX Q  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX Q  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX Q  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX Q  Photo 
12-23-2012, 03:35 PM - 1 Like   #1153

I just added a lot of Q photographs and a few words about them on my website. I shot them during our Summer holidays in Scotland.
Wim van Velzen photography: webarticles, q for cute

This one was stitched from several shots with the zoom.

Nice detail on one of the campsites:

12-23-2012, 04:09 PM   #1154
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by wpvv Quote
I just added a lot of Q photographs and a few words about them on my website. I shot them during our Summer holidays in Scotland.

Nice photos on your blog! Looks like a good trip.
12-23-2012, 05:14 PM   #1155
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Brianog Quote
Have the Q less than a week but it is the most enjoyable week of my photographic life!
I like the atmospheric last shot of the candles, makes me think of some kind of fantasy horror movie.
QuoteOriginally posted by wpvv Quote

Really nice ones! I can swear that I saw Frodo lurking around is a couple of them (knowing it's not New Zealand).