Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 5697 Likes Search this Thread
01-17-2013, 11:07 AM - 1 Like   #1336
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by DarkNexiz Quote
I'd love to start contributing to this thread but I feel like my shots are really bad, since this is my first camera other than a p&s. Any tips on what ISO's or Apertures will work best for me? All of you guys' shots look amazing, so I was wondering what kind of tips you might have.
Look for situations in good light where you can use the lowest ISO setting of 125 to start Use AV mode and keep the aperture as close to the lowest number possible with the lens you have.
Let the camera choose the shutter speed.
Take your time to focus and hold the camera steady while shooting.
This is just a starting out suggestion, once you get comfortable with it experiment by changing any settings and see what happens.

01-17-2013, 01:14 PM   #1337

QuoteOriginally posted by crewl1 Quote
Look for situations in good light where you can use the lowest ISO setting of 125 to start Use AV mode and keep the aperture as close to the lowest number possible with the lens you have.
Let the camera choose the shutter speed.
Take your time to focus and hold the camera steady while shooting.
This is just a starting out suggestion, once you get comfortable with it experiment by changing any settings and see what happens.
Thanks for the suggestion. I sort of understand what ISO and F X.X are, but the explanation of how they'll affect the photo is very much appreciated. I really truly am a newbie at this, so thanks for the help

QuoteOriginally posted by baro-nite Quote
Oh, dive right in on posting photos -- you'll get a friendly reception, and you'll likely get comments that will help you learn faster. Nothing wrong with keeping the camera on Auto mode. Main issue is likely to be when you are in low light and the flash kicks in; built-in flash rarely produces great-looking results when it is the primary light source.
I should be going out shooting sometime this afternoon, I'll see if I feel happy enough with any shots to post them.
01-17-2013, 01:37 PM   #1338
Riv

Photos: Albums
Thanks for the suggestion. I sort of understand what ISO and F X.X are, but the explanation of how they'll affect the photo is very much appreciated. I really truly am a newbie at this, so thanks for the help
Another from Michigan, Welcome. Try looking around here , there's many articles written from the beginner and up. It's aimed at dSLR owners, but many of the same principles apply to the Q. Start with beginner tips and go from there.
01-17-2013, 02:25 PM   #1339
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I sort of understand what ISO and F X.X are, but the explanation of how they'll affect the photo is very much appreciated. I really truly am a newbie at this, so thanks for the help
Mark Wallace is great at explaining this kind of stuff. Here are a few highly recommended videos:

Exposure ? Adorama Photography TV from Adorama Learning Center

Understanding Stops: Adorama TV from Adorama Learning Center

Aperture Values ? Adorama Photography TV from Adorama Learning Center

01-17-2013, 05:38 PM   #1340

Here are a couple from my new "Q". I still haven't used it a lot, but when I have used it, it is fun. I converted these to B&W to help with the obvious noise since these were taken at night.

01-17-2013, 05:49 PM   #1341
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by cwhans Quote
Here are a couple from my new "Q". I still haven't used it a lot, but when I have used it, it is fun. I converted these to B&W to help with the obvious noise since these were taken at night.
Very nice. I like them.
01-18-2013, 12:00 AM   #1342
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by volosong Quote
From yesterday. Shot with the 06 lens, AV mode.

15.2mm, f4.5, 1/2000

15.2mm, f/4.5, 1/1600

45mm, f/4.5, 1/2000

45mm, f4.5, 1/1600
Steven, I assume these were taken on the flightline at EAFB, a great series. Thanks for sharing Cliff

01-18-2013, 12:32 AM   #1343
Veteran Member

Wild corner of the garden.
01 Standard Prime - Manual mode.

Last edited by Steve.Ledger; 03-21-2013 at 10:29 PM.
01-18-2013, 06:35 AM   #1344
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
I'd love to start contributing to this thread but I feel like my shots are really bad, since this is my first camera other than a p&s. Any tips on what ISO's or Apertures will work best for me? All of you guys' shots look amazing, so I was wondering what kind of tips you might have.
Lots of good info above, as stated just start posting and ask for CC (comments and critique) and you will get it. Welcome also from Michigan.

Hans
01-19-2013, 04:16 PM   #1345

Finally got to go out and get some shots. Accidentally left the ND filter on for longer than I meant to after the water shots, so some of the shots got too blurry. I was able to get a few good ones though, hope you guys like em. Also please feel free to tell me what I did wrong or what I could do better, I'm really new to this and photography in general.
-Dark

(sorry, didn't really know how to rotate this without going through Photoshop, just wanted to get it up here)

(Couldn't tell on the camera that it was just barely out of focus, I still like it)

There are a few more, check out the gallery here: Photo Album - Imgur

Last edited by DarkNexiz; 01-19-2013 at 04:22 PM.
01-20-2013, 12:14 AM   #1346
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by sledger Quote
Wild corner of the garden. 01 Standard Prime - Manual mode.
Nice greens!
01-20-2013, 12:16 AM   #1347
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Finally got to go out and get some shots. Accidentally left the ND filter on for longer than I meant to after the water shots, so some of the shots got too blurry. I was able to get a few good ones though, hope you guys like em. Also please feel free to tell me what I did wrong or what I could do better, I'm really new to this and photography in general. -Dark
Nice shots Dark. I like the statue and the sideways ice fall
01-20-2013, 12:18 AM   #1348
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Santa Monica sunset, 02 zoom.

Carousel 03 Fisheye
01-20-2013, 12:47 AM - 2 Likes   #1349
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Santa Monica 03 Fisheye

01-20-2013, 05:40 AM   #1350
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
I like these shots of Santa Monica. I lived there for a couple of years in the 70's, still looks very familiar, too.