06-13-2013, 12:19 PM   #2611
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums

06-13-2013, 03:46 PM   #2612
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery

06-13-2013, 07:01 PM   #2613

QuoteOriginally posted by alulacheery Quote
SRHS, I love those shots! I really do think I need to get myself a Q!
thank You so much ...

QuoteOriginally posted by hakea Quote
@srhs - wow, amazing job. What settings did you use? Lots of pp, i assume? Beautiful model btw. ^^
thank You,
Av mode + BW setting, PP using NIK silver effect (to increase dynamic range and add film look a like) ... so I think It need not much PP
06-14-2013, 07:34 AM   #2614
Forum Member

QuoteOriginally posted by srhs Quote
This my first post here, here're some photos from my Q

Pentax Q +01 lens

Out of this world...
very meticulously done

hope to see more of your photos

06-14-2013, 10:25 AM   #2615
Veteran Member

Awesome shot guys (:

I believe that the Q is a wonderful piece of equipment that is hard to work with and master. But mann if produces great images on the right hands. I have a love and hate relationship with mine hehehe
06-14-2013, 03:47 PM   #2616

QuoteOriginally posted by Blythman Quote
These are excellent. Do you have exposure details?
Thanks Blythman, I do have the info: They were all shot with the 01 prime at f2 with a B&W 092 IR filter. I used a tripod for all shots. #1 was with an ISO 200 @ 1/10 sec. #2 ISO 200 @ 2sec, exposure bias +1. #3 ISO 400 @ 1/20 sec. #4 ISO 400 @ 1/8 sec, exposure bias +1. #5 ISO 400 @ 1/15 sec. I processed the RAW images in Lightroom 4. #s 1 and 2 were edited using Nik Silver Efex Pro. #s 3 and 4, I swapped red and blue color channels in Photoshop and finished editing in Lightroom. On a whim I applied a cross processing filter to #5 in camera; I liked the result so I just tweaked the colors a little in Nik Color Efex pro.
06-14-2013, 04:28 PM - 1 Like   #2617
Forum Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Little Hurricane

Really love these guys and they were great in concert. Anyway, took the Q and 01 and set it to ISO 1250. Not the best lighting conditions for any camera but, I think the Q did an alright job.

06-14-2013, 08:53 PM - 1 Like   #2618
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by bowdish67 Quote
Really love these guys and they were great in concert. Anyway, took the Q and 01 and set it to ISO 1250. Not the best lighting conditions for any camera but, I think the Q did an alright job.

Terrific shots Bowdish, esp. the photo of the drummer!

A few taken today while cycling.
Attached Images

06-14-2013, 09:50 PM   #2619
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I've been really impressed with the Q, even at 1250. I really like your drummer shot.

I spent Saturday at an aquarium and was surprised at how well the Q performed. I had taken it along mainly because it's so small and lives in my purse. I was planning on taking most of the pictures with the K5, but once I saw the first couple of pictures, took most of them with the Q.

Seeing Sea Shells

Small seahorse

Delicate dragon

Grumpy

I used both the 01 and 06 lenses. I had better results with the 01, it was quite dark and even with f2.8, I ran into problems with camera shake with the longer 06 lens. In any case, I had a great time and was quite pleased with the results. I'm still a very happy camper.
06-15-2013, 06:11 AM   #2620
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
I think you did a little more than alright, very nice shots

Hans
06-15-2013, 06:15 AM   #2621
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by mtngal Quote

I spent Saturday at an aquarium and was surprised at how well the Q performed. I had taken it along mainly because it's so small and lives in my purse. I was planning on taking most of the pictures with the K5, but once I saw the first couple of pictures, took most of them with the Q.

I used both the 01 and 06 lenses. I had better results with the 01, it was quite dark and even with f2.8, I ran into problems with camera shake with the longer 06 lens. In any case, I had a great time and was quite pleased with the results. I'm still a very happy camper.
Nice shots Harriett, you did a great job avoiding glare and reflections. It's been a few years for me and aquariums. I really like the small seahorse shot, nice composition.

Hans
06-15-2013, 06:25 AM   #2622
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by jva59 Quote
A few taken today while cycling.
Interesting views of Pittsburgh, biking is a cool way to shoot the hood and you got some nice results. When on a bike I keep my Q on a Carabinier hooked to my belt using my thumb strap, keeps it ready and out of the way when riding.

Hans
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-30  Photo 
06-15-2013, 07:56 AM   #2623
Forum Member

QuoteOriginally posted by sundr Quote
Thanks Blythman, I do have the info: They were all shot with the 01 prime at f2 with a B&W 092 IR filter. I used a tripod for all shots. #1 was with an ISO 200 @ 1/10 sec. #2 ISO 200 @ 2sec, exposure bias +1. #3 ISO 400 @ 1/20 sec. #4 ISO 400 @ 1/8 sec, exposure bias +1. #5 ISO 400 @ 1/15 sec. I processed the RAW images in Lightroom 4. #s 1 and 2 were edited using Nik Silver Efex Pro. #s 3 and 4, I swapped red and blue color channels in Photoshop and finished editing in Lightroom. On a whim I applied a cross processing filter to #5 in camera; I liked the result so I just tweaked the colors a little in Nik Color Efex pro.
Thanks. Just had a faint hope that the infra red blocking filter was particularly weak, and that hand holding would be possible
06-15-2013, 09:21 AM   #2624
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by hnikesch Quote
Interesting views of Pittsburgh, biking is a cool way to shoot the hood and you got some nice results. When on a bike I keep my Q on a Carabinier hooked to my belt using my thumb strap, keeps it ready and out of the way when riding.

Hans
Thanks, Hans! I have a small front basket, where my Q usually rides with a jacket and kept in place by net.
06-16-2013, 05:30 PM   #2625
Veteran Member

I got a fisheye lens last week. I've basically gone nuts with it! It's such a fun lens to go and shoot with.

Album: EarlVonTapia's Album: Fisheye fun! - PentaxForums.com
(All shots were straight JPGs from the camera, except given Auto WB treatment and resized in LR)

Here are a few specific pictures from the album and some thoughts about the lens.

- This is my first fisheye, so it took me a while to get the most out of it. My current technique involves basically trying to get as many straight lines into the edges of the frame, where they will see the most distortion and provide the most emphasis.

IMGP6010 2 - EarlVonTapia's Album: Fisheye fun! - PentaxForums.com

IMGP6028 2 - EarlVonTapia's Album: Fisheye fun! - PentaxForums.com

IMGP6086 2 - EarlVonTapia's Album: Fisheye fun! - PentaxForums.com

- The fisheye is great for street shooting. You can just shoot into "space" without aiming directly at people, so it seems like you're just taking a picture of something else even though you want to get the people into the frame.

IMGP6126 2 - EarlVonTapia's Album: Fisheye fun! - PentaxForums.com

IMGP6033 2 - EarlVonTapia's Album: Fisheye fun! - PentaxForums.com

IMGP6124 2 - EarlVonTapia's Album: Fisheye fun! - PentaxForums.com

- Greatly inspired by Kayakfari and others who were putting their Q's on painter's poles, I went to the local outdoor gear store and got a mini Ultrapod. It's a foldable tabletop tripod that has a built-in velcro strap, and it only cost around $13. The velcro strap is what I was after, since I wanted to be able to quickly strap it to my trekking pole when out hiking and such to get those sweet overhead shots. I'm not about to go on a multi-day hike with a painter's pole, but I figure with a trekking pole + a log/rock assist, I can easily get the Q over 10 feet, maybe even to 15 feet, which should be enough to get some neat perspectives.

Here's a test picture of the Q + ultrapod + trekking pole from the store.

IMGP6110 2 - EarlVonTapia's Album: Fisheye fun! - PentaxForums.com

- I think my favorite use for the fisheye though is as a fun conversation piece. I've brought it to a few dinners now, and everyone loves it! It can easily get your food + the other person into the frame. I was even able to fit an entire 8-10 seater round table quite easily while seated from my spot.

IMGP6065 2 - EarlVonTapia's Album: Fisheye fun! - PentaxForums.com

IMGP6129 2 - EarlVonTapia's Album: Fisheye fun! - PentaxForums.com

IMGP6146 2 - EarlVonTapia's Album: Fisheye fun! - PentaxForums.com

At around $140, I can't really say anything bad about this lens (maybe the annoying infinity non-focus). I've only taken a test video with it, but I have a cheap $5 hotshoe/tripod thread adapter coming in so I can combine the Q + fisheye on top of my K30. My idea is that I want to take video with the fisheye while I'm shooting pictures with the K30, similar to the GoPro tutorial trend that seems to be making the rounds lately.

There are a few more pictures in the album so check them out!

Last edited by EarlVonTapia; 06-16-2013 at 05:47 PM.