Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 5697 Likes Search this Thread
07-18-2013, 04:55 PM   #2836
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Taylor14 Quote
I had to get pretty close to the bees with the Prime! But I made it out ok!
Q with 01 Prime
Nice work!

07-18-2013, 04:56 PM - 1 Like   #2837
Veteran Member

Pentax Q, 01 Prime, DNG processed with ACDSee Pro 6
07-18-2013, 05:02 PM   #2838

QuoteOriginally posted by Swift1 Quote
Nice work!
Thanks! And by the way I love everyone's pictures here! This forum convinced me to buy the Q since the initial reviews were pretty negative.
07-18-2013, 06:29 PM - 3 Likes   #2839
Banned

Thanks! And by the way I love everyone's pictures here! This forum convinced me to buy the Q since the initial reviews were pretty negative.
:
:
Photography business for many good reasons is very conservative — because many details in camera design, lens design and production chain must be robust, well and conservatively made. However, reviewers are often individuals who think that seriousness and conservative spirit of camera production should be extended further into the photograph.

Which is not true, of course, and makes photography such a dull, predictive, stereotyped and unimaginative affair. Pentax, as a unique bunch of people behind a brand name, is different than many others, and it would like people in general to take a more relaxed approach and make innovative kind of images, make their imagination burst in all directions so to speak. Thus Pentax starts by confusing convention in camera design: using very small sensors to make very small and non-intimidating cameras, naming lenses as 'toy lenses', making cameras in 100s of colours, etc.

But the message is stopped by the self-appointed gatekeepers of the 'serious photography' fandom: by different 'online experts', influencing bloggers, 'serious reviewers', old sea dogs, and one-stick-measures-all websites like the DPR, DXO, etc. They don't get the fun side of things, they don't know how to value expressiveness of a photograph because creativity cannot be measured with their rulers and yardsticks — creativity in fact means throwing firm rulers away.

Therefore they write unfavourable 'reviews', which are nothing but manifestos of their own lack of image-nation.

Last edited by Uluru; 07-19-2013 at 12:11 AM.
07-18-2013, 06:37 PM   #2840

QuoteOriginally posted by Uluru Quote
:
:
Photography business for many good reasons is very conservative — because many details in camera design, lens design and production chain must be robust, well and conservatively made. However, reviewers are often individuals who think that seriousness and conservative spirit of camera production should be extended further into the photograph.

Which is not true, of course, and makes photography such a dull, predictive, stereotyped and unimaginative affair. Pentax as a brand is different than many others, and it would like people in general to take more relaxed approach and make innovative kind of images, make their imagination burst in all direction. Thus Pentax starts by confusing convention in camera design: using small sensors, naming lenses as 'toy lenses', making cameras in 100s of colours, etc.

But the message is stopped by the self-appointed gatekeepers of the 'serious photography' fandom, like different 'online experts', influencing bloggers, 'review' and one-stick-measures-all websites like the DPR, DXO, etc. They don't get the fun side of things, they don't know how to value expressiveness of photograph because creativity cannot be measured with their yardsticks.

Therefore they write unfavourable 'reviews', which are nothing but manifestos of their own lack of image-nation.
Yes! I agree. I want a camera that makes me want to use it! The Q's design and build quality inspire. No Sony NEX could do that. They may take better pictures but it would turn out just like my parents DSLR, only using it when they have to. Not just for fun.
07-18-2013, 07:42 PM   #2841
Veteran Member

:
:

Which is not true, of course, and makes photography such a dull, predictive, stereotyped and unimaginative affair. Pentax, as a unique bunch of people behind a brand name, is different than many others, and it would like people in general to take more relaxed approach and make innovative kind of images, make their imagination burst in all directions. Thus Pentax starts by confusing convention in camera design: using very small sensors to make very small and non-intimidating cameras, naming lenses as 'toy lenses', making cameras in 100s of colours, etc.

But the message is stopped by the self-appointed gatekeepers of the 'serious photography' fandom, like by different 'online experts', influencing bloggers, 'review', old sea dogs, and one-stick-measures-all websites like the DPR, DXO, etc. They don't get the fun side of things, they don't know how to value expressiveness of a photograph because creativity cannot be measured with their yardsticks.

Very well said and enjoyable to read.
07-18-2013, 09:32 PM   #2842
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Uluru, these are Profound points. As enjoyable to read, as the Q is to use. Bravo Uluru.
thanks
barondla

07-18-2013, 10:44 PM   #2843
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by alulacheery Quote
And I got lucky when a pigeon waved at me, others from today need a bit of cropping etc in photoshop.
Ha ha, such a friendly bird!

This butterfly was not easy to take a photo of! But I eventually got him.
Great shots of the critters and Lavender.

QuoteOriginally posted by Swift1 Quote
Pentax Q, 01 Prime, DNG processed with ACDSee Pro 6
Fantastic composition!
07-19-2013, 05:17 AM   #2844
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by crewl1 Quote
Tonight I found out that Black Widows are actually dark brown, and hairy.

I think the hourglass warning should have been placed on top vs. the underside, don't you?

If these are shaky I hope you can understand why.

Q + DFA100 WR

You got a lot closer than I would have, nicely shot

Hans
07-19-2013, 05:19 AM   #2845
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by alulacheery Quote
The end result is wonderful, I really love the colours.

I stumbled across a firework display in Monaco, I happened to have the Q in my bag, 01 lens, no tripod made it tricky though. In the spirit of the Q I tried out quite a few different settings, once again I am really pleased with the colours from this little camera.
You did quite well with the exposures,

Hans
07-19-2013, 05:22 AM   #2846
Veteran Member

:
:

Which is not true, of course, and makes photography such a dull, predictive, stereotyped and unimaginative affair. Pentax, as a unique bunch of people behind a brand name, is different than many others, and it would like people in general to take a more relaxed approach and make innovative kind of images, make their imagination burst in all directions so to speak. Thus Pentax starts by confusing convention in camera design: using very small sensors to make very small and non-intimidating cameras, naming lenses as 'toy lenses', making cameras in 100s of colours, etc.

But the message is stopped by the self-appointed gatekeepers of the 'serious photography' fandom: by different 'online experts', influencing bloggers, 'serious reviewers', old sea dogs, and one-stick-measures-all websites like the DPR, DXO, etc. They don't get the fun side of things, they don't know how to value expressiveness of a photograph because creativity cannot be measured with their rulers and yardsticks — creativity in fact means throwing firm rulers away.

I couldn't agree more, nicely said

Hans
07-19-2013, 06:23 AM   #2847
Veteran Member

A Mqstery!

Here is rather simple photo from the Twin Rocks series. I didn't notice the thread-like line extending from the grass middle right down to the lower right corner until I viewed the picture on a large monitor at work.

At first I thought it must be a strand of spider web, but there is a loop-like structure where it attaches to the grass. The loop is probably about 1/4 inch long. In the 100% crop, you can see there are 3 loops, only the top one has the "thread."

Any idea what this is? Fishing line? But the ends of the loop don't look like it and it seems too fine to be used for surf fishing.

Q, 02 lens, 15 mm, f4.5, 1/2000, processed in Raw Therapee
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX Q  Photo   
07-19-2013, 12:57 PM   #2848
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by cfraz Quote
Here is rather simple photo from the Twin Rocks series. I didn't notice the thread-like line extending from the grass middle right down to the lower right corner until I viewed the picture on a large monitor at work.

At first I thought it must be a strand of spider web, but there is a loop-like structure where it attaches to the grass. The loop is probably about 1/4 inch long. In the 100% crop, you can see there are 3 loops, only the top one has the "thread."

Any idea what this is? Fishing line? But the ends of the loop don't look like it and it seems too fine to be used for surf fishing.

Q, 02 lens, 15 mm, f4.5, 1/2000, processed in Raw Therapee
I think the "thread" may be a spider wed strand, and not related to the loops. No clue what the loops are...
07-19-2013, 01:08 PM - 1 Like   #2849
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
I've been feeling uninspired recently, but have managed a few shots with the Q. Looking at this thread always gives me a big lift and inspires me to get out and just take pictures.

Contrasts. I find the different styles of arches, so close together but reflecting different times and different styles, interesting. Also, the difference between the warm artificial lighting and the sun-not-quite-up cool light of early morning. (Q, 02 lens)

This is a puzzle someone who either thinks I'm better at jigsaws than I really am or is sadistic gave to me a number of years ago. There's a different puzzle on the back-side of it, very similar to the front side. Its been on the top of a bookcase, unopened, until I had the bright idea it might make a good photograph. (Q, 01 lens)

Pretty scenery, a place I used to visit almost every weekend but which I haven't bothered to go to this summer (Q, 06 lens)

On the same day I took this picture I took some others by holding up my Hoya R72 filter in front of the camera. I wasn't particularly impressed with the Q's IR ability. It's slightly better than the K7, probably on a level with the K5, but much less than the K100. I didn't think it was good enough to invest in a separate 40.5 filter for it.

Pretty flowers (Q, 02 lens)

Getting closer to the flowers - Q, Pentax K to Q adapter and the DA 35 macro:

I like this combination, it's easier to handle for me than the Q and the Viv 105 macro. I think these were hand-held, but I've also used both with a gorilla pod that works well (the first picture was taken with it). What's interesting is that I bought the gorilla pod a long time ago and wasn't impressed with it as a table-top replacement. I hardly used it at all, it's been living in a desk drawer. It works quite well with the Q and I use it often now.
07-19-2013, 01:18 PM - 1 Like   #2850
Pentaxian

This little guy was blocking my driveway this morning.
01 prime, cropped a little and run through LR5.