Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 5700 Likes Search this Thread
02-11-2015, 02:14 PM - 2 Likes   #4411
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Shopping at the outlet mall

I recently purchased an old (1960’s) vintage 135mm lens to adapt to my Pentax Q7 camera, a crop factor of 4.7. So the 135 has the effective focal length of 635mm when mounted to the Q7. The following images were shot hand held while my wife was shopping at the outlet mall. Manual focus on a sunny day without a hood can be a challenge using the LCD so I only got about 5% keepers.

This Snowy Egret was fishing, it was following the diving ducks around the pond waiting for the ducks to force small fish to the edge of the pond so it could get to them. I have seen the same behaver between Snowy’s, Herons and other diving birds acting as fishing buddies. The shore birds forcing fish out and the diving birds forcing fish to shore.

A Hooded Merganser

A friendly Wood Stork, trolling for French Fries at the food court

An example of fishing buddies at work shot last year with my DSLR a Tricolored Heron and a Cormorant

02-11-2015, 03:49 PM   #4412
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Hans, Great shots from this combo!

How big is lens + Q?
02-14-2015, 03:42 PM   #4413

First shot with Q-S1 and 08, the other two with the 03 Fisheye.
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX Q-S1  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX Q-S1  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX Q-S1  Photo 
02-15-2015, 02:40 PM - 3 Likes   #4414
Veteran Member

In a B24

Shot with my Q7 and 03

Inside the B24

I attended a Wings of Freedom fly in and shot the flyovers and outside of the aircraft with my K30 but inside I needed a wider lens

You entered at the rear of the aircraft from under the belly, the first thing I saw was the tail gunner area, and you had to be one of the smaller crew members to get back there. Thank goodness for a fisheye lens and RAW, the exposures were a challenge.

One of the side gun stations

The under belly turret, I think a 12 year old would have been too large to get into it, shown here in the raised landing position

The Bombay catwalk I had to suck it in and bull myself through, we were about 3 feet above the runway but at 10,000’ that would be a strange walk with the doors open

Looking forward to the cockpit, this is as far forward as we could get, I believe you had to crawl under the cockpit to get to the front gunner station

You exited out the Bombay doors

Thanks for looking

Hans

---------- Post added 02-15-2015 at 04:41 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by Amarony Quote
First shot with Q-S1 and 08, the other two with the 03 Fisheye.
Got to love the FEye, nice shooting

02-15-2015, 03:51 PM   #4415
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by hnikesch Quote
The under belly turret, I think a 12 year old would have been too large to get into it, shown here in the raised landing position
It's so easy to forget, or today not to know, that the generation that fought those aircraft for us weren't as . . . mmm, comfortably sized? . . . as we are today.

Even the size of the aircraft we flew in the VN era was significantly larger.

I parked a Douglas A-3D Skywarrior on the ramp next to a B17 at NAS Barber's Pt, HI in '68 (while they were filming the movie 'Tora, Tora, Tora') and couldn't believe the difference in size. I do wish I could still find the photo I took of that scenario. (An', yeah, it would'a been a Pentax Spotmatic shot!)

Another memorable event was descending through a broken ceiling into the pattern there after a 5 hr trans-Pac flight from NAS Alameda, CA and the first sight I saw was three fake Japanese 'Zeros' and a P-40 in the pattern with us. A very strange feeling.

Even in the '70's Barber's Pt looked like a WW 2 airdrome. So much so that "we" managed to land on the mat between the painted parallel runways despite having briefed that issue.
02-16-2015, 06:00 AM - 1 Like   #4416
Veteran Member

Talking about the B17

Also shot with the Q7 and 03

You entered the B17 front the front through a hatch then you had to crawl back to the center upper gunner station.

Once inside you could look forward to the front gun station, it had 3 guns, a right, left operated directly and a center under the seat it was controlled from the seat in the Plexiglas dome.

We then went rearward through the Bombay, again on a catwalk also very narrow over the open Bombay doors.

Then rearward to the bottom gun turret again you had to be nighty small to get in.

Continuing back to the main cabin and side gun stations

Looking back to the tail gunner (off limits) looks like they didn’t want anyone getting stuck back there

02-16-2015, 09:06 AM   #4417
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by hnikesch Quote
Also shot with the Q7 and 03

You entered the B17 front the front through a hatch then you had to crawl back to the center upper gunner station.

Once inside you could look forward to the front gun station, it had 3 guns, a right, left operated directly and a center under the seat it was controlled from the seat in the Plexiglas dome.

We then went rearward through the Bombay, again on a catwalk also very narrow over the open Bombay doors.

Then rearward to the bottom gun turret again you had to be nighty small to get in.

Continuing back to the main cabin and side gun stations

Looking back to the tail gunner (off limits) looks like they didn’t want anyone getting stuck back there.
Thank you for the pictures!
They give us another reason that thank "the greatest generation"!

Looks like a Q would be an excellent choice for this tour. I remember when I took a standard size camera on a gold mine tour in Colorado: I and my camera bag just barely fit in the very tight lift.

02-16-2015, 11:13 AM   #4418
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Well done. And a perfect use for the Q+03.
02-16-2015, 08:17 PM   #4419
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by pinholecam Quote
Q7+Vivitar 55/2.8 macro

These are amazing. Ricoch should license them from you to advertise the Q series.
02-16-2015, 08:51 PM   #4420
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by enoeske Quote
Fun with the 07 pinhole

Went into the city (Chicago) with just the 07 lens, shooting b&w square crop.

I really like the 07; very "digital Holga". It's the perfect compliment to the Bold Mono setting.
02-16-2015, 10:05 PM - 1 Like   #4421
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by fuent104 Quote
These are amazing. Ricoch should license them from you to advertise the Q series.
They did actually.
In Dec I got an email requesting for one of the macro photos I had done with the original Q.
It was for a Ricoh/Pentax sample booklet they used for shows and for distributors to see.

So I sent them 2 shots and one was chosen.

Just 3 weeks back, I got a reply and a link to download the booklet.
So at least the photo came to some good use.
02-16-2015, 10:09 PM - 3 Likes   #4422
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Q+06

Hand-held through a dirty window pane and cropped quite a bit.

First three with Q, last two with Q7 - all with 06.

Grain is slightly more apparent in Q images with about the same PP applied to all shots.
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX Q  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX Q  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX Q  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX Q7  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX Q7  Photo 

Last edited by pacerr; 02-16-2015 at 10:16 PM.
02-17-2015, 12:16 AM - 3 Likes   #4423
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Dots n' chairs

Floor Three

Life Tone

Happy Owl

Toboggan Time

The Highlands Group (Second Floor)
02-17-2015, 10:10 AM   #4424
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Floor signs. Now there's a photo theme to match Lonely Benches.
02-18-2015, 06:18 AM   #4425
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by pacerr Quote
Hand-held through a dirty window pane and cropped quite a bit.

First three with Q, last two with Q7 - all with 06.

Grain is slightly more apparent in Q images with about the same PP applied to all shots.
NICE, great results