Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-01-2015, 11:54 AM - 2 Likes   #4786
Digitiser of Film
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Deesquared Quote
Shopping on the square
Great shot!

Here's one from me for today - Bamburgh Castle (pronounced "Bam-ber-rer") in Northumberland, about 60 miles north of my home. We had decent weather today with blue skies and sun, so I went for a drive and took the Q7 & 02 with me. Unfortunately, not much in the way of interesting clouds, so the sky was a little characterless - but it was nice to see the castle so clearly

Attached Images

11-01-2015, 12:41 PM   #4787
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by BigMackCam Quote
Great shot!

Here's one from me for today - Bamburgh Castle (pronounced "Bam-ber-rer") in Northumberland, about 60 miles north of my home. We had decent weather today with blue skies and sun, so I went for a drive and took the Q7 & 02 with me. Unfortunately, not much in the way of interesting clouds, so the sky was a little characterless - but it was nice to see the castle so clearly
Wow, that's an awesome castle and nice shot! Wish I had a castle near me!
11-01-2015, 02:17 PM - 1 Like   #4788
Digitiser of Film
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Deesquared Quote
Wow, that's an awesome castle and nice shot! Wish I had a castle near me!
Thank you If you're interested, there's some historical background on Bamburgh Castle here:

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bamburgh_Castle

One of the benefits of living in this part of England is that we have quite a lot of beautiful historical architecture (castles, stately homes etc.) within easy reach. I really should make a point of photographing them more often!
11-01-2015, 06:20 PM   #4789
Veteran Member

Ancient Greek dude is like, "Whatev..."
by John Flores, on Flickr

11-01-2015, 06:26 PM   #4790
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by johnmflores Quote
How far were you from the Greek Dude?
It's not often that we see the background naturally soft like this with the Q.
11-02-2015, 07:37 AM - 1 Like   #4791
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
This is the best thread on this forum. I’m beginning to believe that those who complain about the Q series either don’t have one hence they do not know what they are talking about or if they do have one it’s just a dust collector.Here is a Gallery demonstrating what I do with my Q cameras and you can go to my WEB site to check out my blog’s discussing the Q as applicable to this type of photography.
11-02-2015, 07:58 AM - 2 Likes   #4792
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by reh321 Quote
How far were you from the Greek Dude?
It's not often that we see the background naturally soft like this with the Q.
I was shooting in 16:9* so I'd guess that I was between 2'-3' away with the Q7 and 01 prime. It helps that the 01 is pretty sharp from wide open, although this was shot at F2.2. The lack of objects between the subject and the background (the nearest bust is ~10'-15' away) and the lighting helps to create the distinct separation.

*Which comes into Lightroom at a 16:9 but the full 3:2 file is there in case you want to adjust the composition. Which is cool

Here are some others from the day. The Q7 and 01 prime were so easy to carry and shoot with.

The Sun Wants to Do Art Too.

Aristede Mailol's Printemps (Spring)

Wife Descending Stairs

11-02-2015, 09:16 AM   #4793
Digitiser of Film
Loyal Site Supporter

@CWRailman - getting a 404 error to that link? Would love to see the gallery...

@johnmflores - the Printemps shot is outstanding and great use of rule of thirds
11-02-2015, 10:29 AM   #4794
Veteran Member

@CWRailman - getting a 404 error to that link? Would love to see the gallery...
I do not know why, I just accessed it Try this:
Scottsdale Model Railroad Historical Society
11-02-2015, 10:50 AM   #4795
Digitiser of Film
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by CWRailman Quote
I do not know why, I just accessed it Try this:
Scottsdale Model Railroad Historical Society
Hmm. Both links now open OK, however I'm on my laptop now instead of my tablet... Anyway, I'm in. Thanks Denny

---------- Post added 11-02-2015 at 05:57 PM ----------

Wow... I just took a quick look through your gallery, Denny. I'm not sure which impresses me more - the model making or the photography. Both excellent. I'm going to enjoy a longer look through these photos a little later

Certainly goes to show that the Q cameras, when used properly, are capable of outstanding results...
11-02-2015, 11:26 AM   #4796
Veteran Member

Hmm. Both links now open OK, however I'm on my laptop now instead of my tablet... Anyway, I'm in. Thanks Denny

---------- Post added 11-02-2015 at 05:57 PM ----------

Wow... I just took a quick look through your gallery, Denny. I'm not sure which impresses me more - the model making or the photography. Both excellent. I'm going to enjoy a longer look through these photos a little later

Certainly goes to show that the Q cameras, when used properly, are capable of outstanding results...
Thank you. Some years ago I did a basic tutorial for beginners on how to photograph their models and you can see how easily that is done on my Photographing Models page. Please be aware that presentation was put together before the Q series was launched and it was done as a guide for non photographers so it is rather simple. However, based on comments I received as well as some samples of their work and a few inquires about procuring a similar camera, I know it did inspire some photographically challenged individuals to attempt photographing their models. My later blogs, which can be found under the Photography category on the Blog page, introduced modelers to some of the Q's capabilities and demonstrated and discussed using the Q series for this type of photography. The Q’s depth of field, which is one of it’s strong suits, is the reason I got involved with the Q series.
11-02-2015, 01:46 PM   #4797
Digitiser of Film
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by CWRailman Quote
Thank you. Some years ago I did a basic tutorial for beginners on how to photograph their models and you can see how easily that is done on my Photographing Models page. Please be aware that presentation was put together before the Q series was launched and it was done as a guide for non photographers so it is rather simple. However, based on comments I received as well as some samples of their work and a few inquires about procuring a similar camera, I know it did inspire some photographically challenged individuals to attempt photographing their models. My later blogs, which can be found under the Photography category on the Blog page, introduced modelers to some of the Q's capabilities and demonstrated and discussed using the Q series for this type of photography. The Q’s depth of field, which is one of it’s strong suits, is the reason I got involved with the Q series.
Thanks for this, Denny - I'll be sure to take a look at your presentation. I had a good look through your gallery and have been showing some of my favourites to my father (he loved them). Thanks for sharing - nice work! I wonder how many Q-unaware photographers appreciate that they are such capable imaging tools... The various mainstream magazines and web-sites really misunderstood this series of cameras, didn't they? Ah, well...
11-07-2015, 02:55 AM - 2 Likes   #4798

Inveterate Footballer

Weather's lousy, let's play ball!
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX Q10  Photo 
11-11-2015, 01:46 PM - 4 Likes   #4799
Forum Member

Canada Remembrance Day

11-11-2015, 04:19 PM   #4800
Site Supporter
Site Supporter