Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 5700 Likes Search this Thread
12-03-2015, 05:01 PM   #4831
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by LeRolls Quote
A few shots from the Q and Q7 from back in the day.

Always had fun with the Q and Q7.
Wonderful! Your portrait stuff has always been great--I'm glad to see some of your other work too.

---------- Post added 12-03-15 at 07:02 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by BigMackCam Quote
I'd recommend starting out with a classic Q three lens kit - the 01, 02 and 06. That will give you a very good, fast prime, and two decent zooms - the longer of which is also constant aperture. Unless you really need very wide angle capability, there's not much you can't achieve in day-to-day shooting with those three lenses...

---------- Post added 12-03-2015 at 10:54 PM ----------

Another shot that I posted in the "Single in December" challenge...

"Happiness, 80mg SR"
Pentax Q7 + Fujian 35mm f/1.7 CCTV lens with 2 x macro extension rings
1/25 sec, f/2.8, ISO 100
I like it! Any more you can say about the details of the shot?

12-03-2015, 05:31 PM - 1 Like   #4832
Digitiser of Film
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by filoxophy Quote
I like it! Any more you can say about the details of the shot?
Thank you! Well, the subject is a Bedranol (Propranolol Hydrochloride) pill, which is a beta blocker. Part of my breakfast, sigh I placed it on a black cardboard background. I had the Q7 mounted on a tripod, with the camera close in and the Fujian 35mm f/1.7 lens fitted with two macro extension rings to get close focusing - adjusting the focus first, and then the aperture to get the transition of blur I wanted towards the rear of the pill. The shot was taken in RAW format. Lighting was from a hand-held CREE LED flashlight - just moved it around until I got the most favourable look. Reviewing the captured shot, the black cardboard was - as expected - kind of dark grey and, and I could see all of the wood-pulp fibres, so I reduced the exposure on the background in Lightroom to give a blacked-out effect, as if the pill was just floating (I didn't really achieve the floating effect, but that was the intention). I also bumped up the saturation a little, as the Fujian lens isn't too good with contrast - this made the blue of the pill a little "louder". Oh, and I upped the sharpening just a little, and cropped to 1x1 square format. That's it, I think. It's a working prototype, as shots go - I'd like to re-do it with a pill that has a clearer shell, and with a lens that will get me a sharper in-focus area (but this shot was specifically for the "Single in December" challenge, where I've committed to using my Fujian 35mm f/1.7 for the whole month, LOL ).

Last edited by BigMackCam; 12-03-2015 at 05:41 PM.
12-04-2015, 07:41 AM   #4833
Digitiser of Film
Loyal Site Supporter

Another cross-post from the Single in December challenge...

This was quick experiment to take a cheery Christmas decoration (a red, glittery tree made from twisted wire) and make it look bleak and cold, which I did by shining a flashlight at it to create a shadow on white card. I photographed the shadow and and did a bit of quick post processing in Lightroom and Silver Efex Pro. And now I have a Christmas card I can send to anyone I don't like

"Weihnachtsbaum"
Pentax Q7 + Fujian 35mm f/1.7 CCTV lens
1/30 sec, f/2.8, ISO 400
12-04-2015, 03:37 PM   #4834
Veteran Member

We don't see portraits too often on this thread, so here's one taken a few weeks ago. Q + 01, on a cloudy day which turns the sky into a giant softbox...

12-05-2015, 07:04 AM   #4835
Digitiser of Film
Loyal Site Supporter

Cross-posting my entry in the "Single in December" challenge. An architecture theme for 5th December...

Awful weather today - rain, almost-washed-out sky and very strong gusting winds. At least it's not too cold. With the wind buffeting me and rain hitting my face, I was trying to keep the camera as dry as possible. My mind wasn't fully on the job, and I forgot to reset my shutter speed from a previous unsuccessful shot containing a lot of white sky - hence this one was also taken at 1/2000 sec. As a result, Auto ISO bumped sensitivity up to ISO 640. No matter... not too much of a problem for this kind of shot. The Fujian lens suffered from fringing / blooming in high contrast areas, but it's less of a problem in B&W.

"Shark Fins @ Birtley Swimming Centre"
1/2000 sec, f/4, ISO 640

Last edited by BigMackCam; 12-05-2015 at 07:27 AM.
12-07-2015, 08:08 AM   #4836

Photos: Gallery
Few from local Swap Meet w/Q7 & 01

Rick
12-07-2015, 08:43 AM - 2 Likes   #4837
Digitiser of Film
Loyal Site Supporter

Two more shots I took for the "Single in..." challenge, for 6th & 7th December.

This one is of the two rows of LED lights in my Manfrotto hot-shoe lighting unit. The repeating bulb shapes, and the repeating geometric shapes in the shadow areas looked like they could make for an interesting abstract photo:

"LED-ache"
Pentax Q7 + Fujian 35mm f/1.7 CCTV lens with 2 x macro extension rings
1/640 sec, f/2, ISO 400

This shot of a razor blade was taken at high ISO and processed in both Silver Efex Pro and Analog Efex Pro to give kind of an old airport x-ray machine look. I wanted it to look slightly menacing:

"Razor Blade"
Pentax Q7 + Fujian 35mm f/1.7 CCTV lens with macro extension ring
1/125 sec, f/3.5 (est'd), ISO 3200

12-09-2015, 09:48 AM - 2 Likes   #4838
Digitiser of Film
Loyal Site Supporter

Another couple of shots I posted in the "Single in December" challenge...

This first shot, for 8th December, is the shank and rowel of western-style riding spur. I liked this for its aesthetic appeal, but dislike its design purpose. Taken against a black card background using the on-board flash of the Q7 with a piece of white cloth as a diffuser. Post processed in LR and Silver Efex Pro:

"Whoa, Hoss!"
Pentax Q7 + Fujian 35mm f/1.7 CCTV lens with macro extension ring
1/13 sec, f/5.6 (est'd), ISO 100, in-camera flash with cloth diffuser

This second shot, for 9th December, was inspired by 1970s magazine advertisements in the tones, contrast and graininess I went for. I had in mind an advertisement urging people to learn how to shoot for self defence (I'm neither pro nor anti gun, I will say - this was just an idea). The gun is a CO2 BB replica of a Russian Makarov pistol, and the "hand model" is my Mum

"Uh oh! Mom's mad!"
1/60 sec, f/5.6, ISO 1600
12-10-2015, 12:34 AM   #4839
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by towa Quote
Q7 + 06

Who is that?
12-11-2015, 07:36 AM - 1 Like   #4840
Digitiser of Film
Loyal Site Supporter

My 10th December shot for the "Single in December" challenge...

A "selfie", taken handheld with estimated focus distance based on the length of my arm. Sharpness isn't perfect because of this. Cropped to square format to match the triangle of eye / end of nose / center of brow. Post processing in LR6 and Silver Efex Pro to blast the overall and midtone contrast, bring up the exposure on the white of the eye, darken the shadows and convert to grainy film-like B&W.

"Self - December 2015"
1/60 sec, f/2.4 (est'd), ISO 250
12-11-2015, 07:52 AM   #4841
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
One thing that strikes me about the Q-shots in general is the innovative, experimental compositions this camera seems to bring out. In short -- it DOES promote fun in a way not often seen with the more traditional DSLR gear.
12-11-2015, 09:32 AM   #4842
Digitiser of Film
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by pacerr Quote
One thing that strikes me about the Q-shots in general is the innovative, experimental compositions this camera seems to bring out. In short -- it DOES promote fun in a way not often seen with the more traditional DSLR gear.
With the photos I'm taking this month, it's a combination of the weather, camera and lens that's encouraging me to be more experimental. We haven't had a great deal of decent weather of late... as a result, all of my shooting for the last few days has been indoors (on the one recent occasion I took photos outdoors, I was battling 70mph winds, LOL). With indoor lighting, I've had to rely on higher ISO sensitivity for a number of the shots, which results in a lot more noise than I'm used to with the K5 and K3. Added to that, the Fujian 35mm f/1.7 CCTV lens I'm using is equivalent to 165mm on full frame, or 110mm on APS-C, due to the 4.7x crop factor of the Q7. That has presented me with some challenges in terms of perspective distortion (I would typically prefer to use a wider angle lens for close up / indoor subjects). So, I've had to experiment and think a little more than normal. Interestingly, I'm now much happier with the lens than I ever thought I could be. With a bit of care, it's capable of decent results - perhaps not in terms of optical refinement, but artistically speaking.
12-11-2015, 02:51 PM - 2 Likes   #4843
Digitiser of Film
Loyal Site Supporter

My "Single in December" shot for the 11th...

Taken using a pocket CREE LED flashlight that I keep in the car for emergencies, but occasionally use for photographic lighting. I stood it on on end against a piece of white card, and captured the image with the room lights off. . Post processing in LR6 to move the tones towards a flame like range of oranges, rotate 90 deg and crop slightly. Final processing in Analog Efex Pro.

"Re-entry"
1/500 sec, f/2.4 (est'd), ISO 200

Last edited by BigMackCam; 12-11-2015 at 04:17 PM.
12-11-2015, 03:00 PM   #4844
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Mack, I'm loving your results here! The abstract flashlight one is great, and something about the gun one...the angle, the rings, knowing it's your mom--it really works for me visually without my being able to say exactly why. And I like that! Keep sharing, please!
12-11-2015, 03:32 PM   #4845
Digitiser of Film
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by filoxophy Quote
Mack, I'm loving your results here! The abstract flashlight one is great, and something about the gun one...the angle, the rings, knowing it's your mom--it really works for me visually without my being able to say exactly why. And I like that! Keep sharing, please!
Hey, thanks! I really appreciate you letting me know... Honestly, none of my shots was this "artsy" until recently - but working with the Fujian lens is forcing me to focus on composition and artistic elements. The lens IQ is average at best, and the equivalent focal length is way longer than I'd normally use. Those limitations are making me work harder, and it seems to be paying off with some images that I'm actually happy with, for a change

Incidentally, my mum is still married to my dad, but I'll let her know you dig chicks with guns