Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 5700 Likes Search this Thread
12-11-2015, 07:31 PM   #4846
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Taylor Swift live from Melbourne, Australia. The Q is my concert camera. Howie Be.

Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX Q  Photo 
12-13-2015, 10:39 AM   #4847
Digitiser of Film
Loyal Site Supporter

My "Single in December" challenge photo for the 12th, which had a theme of "Texture". The textures here are in the form of different skin surfaces and body hair... specifically, the male breast.

Like many, I can find the human body a somewhat uncomfortable subject when portrayed in anything other than a positive way. This photo is intentionally stark, taken with direct in-camera flash (hence some of the blue / green colour artefacts, exacerbated in post processing) and with darks and contrast heavily exaggerated. Filtering and vignetting are used to give an eye-like effect, mirroring the voyeur. Focus was a hit and miss estimated affair, but as with my recent selfie, I'm not too hung up on precise focus for this shot. Post processing in LR6 and Analog Efex Pro for a lo-fi look.

Not sure if this should be classed as "NOT SAFE FOR WORK", but just in case, I'm only posting the link HERE. Please only view it if you're in an appropriate viewing situation.
12-14-2015, 05:59 AM   #4848
Digitiser of Film
Loyal Site Supporter

Here's my "Single in December" challenge shot for 13th. Although I'm a peaceful kind of chap, I've been told before that I look like a thug right after a haircut (I clip my hair very short), so decided to base my shot on this A thug, off looking for trouble after a football game one sunny Saturday... Cropped to 16x10 and post processed in LR6 + Silver Efex Pro for a bleached out, high contrast look as if taken in sunny weather.

"Headhunter"
Pentax Q7 + Fujian 35mm f/1.7 CCTV lens
1/13 sec, f/4, ISO 100 + Metz 52 AF-1 flash
12-15-2015, 09:06 AM   #4849
Digitiser of Film
Loyal Site Supporter

Another "Single in December" entry, for the 14th.

With this one, I was thinking of a couple of things... the scene at the end of the film "Deliverance" where the arm rises out of the water, and also zombie horror flicks. Tripod and timer shot of my own hand against a plain white background with normal room lighting, cropped slightly for framing, and heavily processed in LR6, Silver Efex Pro and Analog Efex Pro.

"Deliver Us"
1/40 sec, f/4, ISO 200

12-15-2015, 01:19 PM   #4850
Forum Member

very cool picture!
12-15-2015, 01:48 PM   #4851
Digitiser of Film
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by paulcote Quote
very cool picture!
Thank you
12-15-2015, 01:57 PM   #4852

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by BigMackCam Quote
Another "Single in December" entry, for the 14th.

With this one, I was thinking of a couple of things... the scene at the end of the film "Deliverance" where the arm rises out of the water, and also zombie horror flicks. Tripod and timer shot of my own hand against a plain white background with normal room lighting, cropped slightly for framing, and heavily processed in LR6, Silver Efex Pro and Analog Efex Pro.

"Deliver Us"
1/40 sec, f/4, ISO 200
Nice work Mike. Quite a powerful image - I can see a wall sized print at a gallery - this is very Graphic Art.

Rick

12-15-2015, 03:04 PM   #4853
Digitiser of Film
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Hinomaru Quote
Nice work Mike. Quite a powerful image - I can see a wall sized print at a gallery - this is very Graphic Art.

Rick
Thank you very much! I've never tried this sort of thing until I began the "Single in December" challenge here on PentaxForums, but it's the most fun I've had with photography so far, and people are very kind with their feedback
12-15-2015, 05:25 PM - 1 Like   #4854

Great shot!

A few weeks ago I happened to go to a trainshow where I had the QS1 with the 01 lens with me. The photos came out pretty crappy (it was crowded, so I couldn't stop for more than a second or two, and people would walk into the pictures anyway; bad light; very reflective surfaces; etc.). Anyway, I managed to save a few, also by heavy (too heavy?) post-proc. Now they look kind of like old postcards, I almost like them this way....
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
Pentax Q-S1  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
Pentax Q-S1  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
Pentax Q-S1  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
Pentax Q-S1  Photo 
12-15-2015, 05:36 PM   #4855
Digitiser of Film
Loyal Site Supporter

It depends on how you view them. As pure photography, the processing is heavy, but the same could easily be said of mine. You have definitely produced striking and very enjoyable images, and - to me, at least - that's what counts. I love your pictures - great job!
12-16-2015, 10:01 AM   #4856
Forum Member

yes those are artful
12-16-2015, 01:52 PM - 1 Like   #4857
Digitiser of Film
Loyal Site Supporter

This is my somewhat disappointing entry for day 15 of the "Single in December" challenge. I've fallen behind a little and with my mind on things other than photography, the well of inspiration has run dry. Hopefully it will come back soon enough

One of my other hobbies is writing and playing music, including electronic dance. This photo is of (a section of) my "Korg Volca Keys" synth-sequencer. I've tried to pick up on elements of another of my recent photos (the purple LED one). This was taken hand-held, and unfortunately I didn't quite nail the focus point due to body movement. Processed in LR6 and Analog Efex Pro.

"Synthetika"
Pentax Q7 + Fujian 35mm f/1.7 CCTV lens with macro extension ring
1/50 sec, f/5.6, ISO 2000

Last edited by BigMackCam; 12-16-2015 at 02:29 PM.
12-16-2015, 04:07 PM   #4858
Forum Member

So its getting clear to me the value of the Q is in its artfull ability as opposed to the pixel peeping. I recently bought some Fuji gear and i do like it because it is sorta like Pentax in that it has a button for the menu items and also cool colors etc. Thing is the APS C format cameras do have hi IQ but they are sorta large as the lenses are very large. I guess if I forget about IQ and go more for 'the picture' then the Q is actually better for that because of the size and portability and ability to carry a whole set of lenses in your tactical coat. I recently bought a Barn Coat off Woot I think and it is in fact a Tactical barn coat made by 511 (got it for 50 bucks and it was a steal) and so the inner pockets can also be quickly accessed from outside the coat using hidden velcro enclosures. I didn't realize when I bought it... its sort of like a Carhartt but has these hidden very large pockets for Pistols! Well I can put my cameras in those pockets and have quicksdraw like access . i have three q's so I can actually put a lens on each one and depending on what I want to shoot, I can pull the camera out. I am a camera junkie and have now bought the Fuji XM1 and XT10 after that (because I liked the XM1 so much) and then when Woot had the X10 on sale I nailed it too. Maybe its a mistake to have too many cameras because you have to think about what you want to use and you never become 'one' with your camera per se as if you only use 1.

At the end of the day, its the image and how much you and others like it.

---------- Post added 12-16-15 at 06:11 PM ----------

I will say paludinus's posts are pretty awesome and professional... could be used somewhere for something great.... and coming from a drunk like me, I hope its a compliment. I bought me a sampler twelve pack but i don't think its clouding my judgement as I had only three so far.

---------- Post added 12-16-15 at 06:12 PM ----------

Eventually our Q's will become collectibles don't you think?
12-16-2015, 04:20 PM - 2 Likes   #4859
Digitiser of Film
Loyal Site Supporter

Paul, interesting post. Re IQ, to some extent I'd agree, although the Q7 (and therefore, I guess, the other Qs) can produce very nice IQ in the right conditions. I've posted this here before, but the following shot was with the Q7 - very little post processing. I wouldn't compare it to my K3, but even at 1:2 reproduction - for prints - it's perfectly good, and 1:3 on screen is excellent. Obviously the attachment is compressed...
Attached Images

12-16-2015, 04:24 PM   #4860

QuoteOriginally posted by paulcote Quote
So its getting clear to me the value of the Q is in its artfull ability as opposed to the pixel peeping. I recently bought some Fuji gear and i do like it because it is sorta like Pentax in that it has a button for the menu items and also cool colors etc. Thing is the APS C format cameras do have hi IQ but they are sorta large as the lenses are very large. I guess if I forget about IQ and go more for 'the picture' then the Q is actually better for that because of the size and portability and ability to carry a whole set of lenses in your tactical coat. I recently bought a Barn Coat off Woot I think and it is in fact a Tactical barn coat made by 511 (got it for 50 bucks and it was a steal) and so the inner pockets can also be quickly accessed from outside the coat using hidden velcro enclosures. I didn't realize when I bought it... its sort of like a Carhartt but has these hidden very large pockets for Pistols! Well I can put my cameras in those pockets and have quicksdraw like access . i have three q's so I can actually put a lens on each one and depending on what I want to shoot, I can pull the camera out. I am a camera junkie and have now bought the Fuji XM1 and XT10 after that (because I liked the XM1 so much) and then when Woot had the X10 on sale I nailed it too. Maybe its a mistake to have too many cameras because you have to think about what you want to use and you never become 'one' with your camera per se as if you only use 1.

At the end of the day, its the image and how much you and others like it.

---------- Post added 12-16-15 at 06:11 PM ----------

I will say paludinus's posts are pretty awesome and professional... could be used somewhere for something great.... and coming from a drunk like me, I hope its a compliment. I bought me a sampler twelve pack but i don't think its clouding my judgement as I had only three so far.

---------- Post added 12-16-15 at 06:12 PM ----------

Eventually our Q's will become collectibles don't you think?
Thanks Paul A compliment indeed! I've had the Q for just a few months, and never had a DSLR before --- just find it very relaxing sometimes to take photos and then tinker with the images when they need to be tinkered with. And I do love how small it is, with the 01 you don't even need a barn coat! (Not that I wouldn't like to have one, it's just this silly work dress code or whatever.....)