Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-14-2017, 09:26 AM - 2 Likes   #5506
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
So, I'm still finding my way with the Q7 and have got to the bit where I try to correct the barrel distortion that seems to be present in all the Q lenses.

The JPEG OOC seems a little soft compared to this Silkypix image. Is there a camera setting that affects JPEG sharpness?

Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX Q7  Photo 
06-14-2017, 11:01 AM   #5507
Unregistered User

QuoteOriginally posted by Shedking Quote
So, I'm still finding my way with the Q7 and have got to the bit where I try to correct the barrel distortion that seems to be present in all the Q lenses.

The JPEG OOC seems a little soft compared to this Silkypix image. Is there a camera setting that affects JPEG sharpness?
There are two camera settings to affect jpeg sharpness.

Press the INFO button. Move green selection square to upper left corner: Custom Image. Select desired overall image style (i.e., Natural). Press OK button. Press +/- button to access image parameters. Toggle down to S or FS (bottom parameter.) Adjust Sharpness (or Fine Sharpness) as desired. Turn Adjustment wheel to toggle between Fine Sharpness and Sharpness. You can get all the sharpness you want.

I generally leave Fine Sharpness and Sharpness at their lowest setting and sharpen later in Photoshop. YMMV.

Barrel distortion is automatically corrected if enabled on the INFO page.

Last edited by Unregistered User; 06-14-2017 at 05:42 PM. Reason: typo, more info
06-14-2017, 02:57 PM   #5508
Forum Member

QuoteOriginally posted by pinholecam Quote

Finally decided to get the Pentax 08 zoom.
Nice wide angle in a small package.
Nice!

---------- Post added 06-14-17 at 06:05 PM ----------

I'm fairly new to Extra Wide Angle and am just learning what kind of shots to look for. Just got a Fisheye lens for my GX8 and learning there as well.

I think I might need to just go and shoot only with the 08 lens for a while to learn it better. When I've approached other focal lengths that way, I seem to learn quicker.

Last edited by rmcnelly; 06-14-2017 at 03:06 PM.
06-14-2017, 10:42 PM - 4 Likes   #5509

The last few days I've been taking pictures around town with my trusty QS-1, mostly in the street style with the standard prime.

I took this next one with the telephoto zoom, it's moments like these where I appreciate lens interchangeability in such a small package.

Shooting like this has really made me wish Pentax would put out a firmware update to give the Q a snap focus distance option like on the Ricoh GR. If you're in manual focus and you turn the Q off and on, the focus resets to some preset distance that's not good up close.

06-15-2017, 03:28 AM - 2 Likes   #5510
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by pinholecam Quote

Finally decided to get the Pentax 08 zoom.
Nice wide angle in a small package.
Great to see you have finally surrendered! I am looking forward to seeing all the great pictures of beautiful Singapore that you will certainly take with the 08 lens.

I have been trying to resist Q lust for years but I must admit that I failed: I have now two original Qs, one Q7, two Q-S1, every Q lens available under the sun, plus lots of accessories, including many adapters, custom cases and such. All this despite having many more "capable" cameras, including full frame Sony A7 and A7II, medium and large format film cameras, etc. But the Q series cameras are so Qute that it's difficult to resist! And I just love the idea of having two cameras and a whole set of lenses in a small waist pouch...

Cheers!

Abbazz
06-15-2017, 11:25 AM   #5511
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Cipher Quote
There are two camera settings to affect jpeg sharpness.

Press the INFO button. Move green selection square to upper left corner: Custom Image. Select desired overall image style (i.e., Natural). Press OK button. Press +/- button to access image parameters. Toggle down to S or FS (bottom parameter.) Adjust Sharpness (or Fine Sharpness) as desired. Turn Adjustment wheel to toggle between Fine Sharpness and Sharpness. You can get all the sharpness you want.

I generally leave Fine Sharpness and Sharpness at their lowest setting and sharpen later in Photoshop. YMMV.

Barrel distortion is automatically corrected if enabled on the INFO page.

Thanks Cipher! Really helpful...
06-15-2017, 06:55 PM   #5512
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by adjutant Quote

Shooting like this has really made me wish Pentax would put out a firmware update to give the Q a snap focus distance option like on the Ricoh GR. If you're in manual focus and you turn the Q off and on, the focus resets to some preset distance that's not good up close.
It would be nice if the Q had snap focus. There is a way in manual focus to keep the focus from resetting upon turn on. At least it works on the Q7.

Camera on>menu>camera page3>Memory page2>click focus position. Focus will not reset when camera is turned on/off.
Hope this helps
barondla

06-15-2017, 07:29 PM - 4 Likes   #5513
Forum Member

Duplicate post from the adapted lenses thread.

Q-S1 w/Kodak Cine Ektanon 63mm f/2.7 which has a built in helicoid for close focusing. I just got it mounted and am loving it on the Q-S1 and my M43 GX8.

06-15-2017, 07:34 PM - 1 Like   #5514
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
rmcnelly, great macro shots. That is an interesting lens!
Thanks for sharing
barondla
06-15-2017, 08:07 PM - 1 Like   #5515

QuoteOriginally posted by barondla Quote
It would be nice if the Q had snap focus. There is a way in manual focus to keep the focus from resetting upon turn on. At least it works on the Q7.

Camera on>menu>camera page3>Memory page2>click focus position. Focus will not reset when camera is turned on/off.
Hope this helps
barondla
I can't believe I missed such a feature on my camera. It helps a lot, thanks. I'm really glad I visit this forum.
06-18-2017, 06:12 AM - 1 Like   #5516
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Yellow standard primes are cheaper than black or silver, it seems:
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX Q7  Photo 
06-19-2017, 05:56 AM - 2 Likes   #5517
Forum Member

Q-S1 w/Kodak Cine Ektanon 63/2.7 which has a built in helicoid.

---------- Post added 06-19-17 at 08:58 AM ----------

Q-S1 w/08 lens and perspective edited in LrCC.

Best viewed full size on Flickr.

06-22-2017, 01:43 AM - 3 Likes   #5518
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Two shots to illustrate the 06/Q7's abilities under available artificial light...

FloraHolland, Alsmeer, The Netherlands.
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX Q7  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX Q7  Photo 
06-26-2017, 10:49 AM - 3 Likes   #5519
Forum Member

Q-S1 w/08 lens at car show

I took my Q-S1 w/08 lens as a second camera to back up my GX8/PL15 at a local car show. This resulted in a huge amount of duplicate shots, ugh. The 08 lens was very useful for this type of photography.

The '59 Corvette was my favorite:

Last edited by rmcnelly; 06-26-2017 at 11:04 AM.
06-27-2017, 07:44 PM - 2 Likes   #5520
Forum Member

Q-S1 w/Kodak Cine Ektanon 38mm/2.5 which has a built in helicoid.