10-14-2017, 04:29 PM - 2 Likes   #5642
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Took this with my Q7 and 06 lens today.
10-17-2017, 04:34 AM - 2 Likes   #5643
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by barondla Quote
Wow Abbazz! The Speed Booster quality looks superb wide open. Didn't expect it to look this good. Does it fall off in color?
Thank you, barondla, for the kind words. My previous picture (admittedly taken in bad light, under light rain) was heavily edited with Silver Efex II. Here's the straight out of camera color JPEG:

And here is the raw file edited to taste:

Surprised the adapter was available and obtainable this quickly. Can't wait to see more results and to get your thoughts on it. You should write a review for Pentax Forums. A little extra Q exposure never hurts.
The adapter has been available since the end of August 2017. The adapter itself is quite good and its results depend mainly of the lens it is used with. Of course the crop factor of the Q tend to amplify the defects of any lens. With the Speed Booster, the crop factor is x2.3 for a Q7 or Q-S1 or x2.8 for a Q or Q10, so you'd better get a good lens to begin with. But even with the old 55/1.2 Nikkor, which does exhibit lots of colorful aberrations wide open, this Speed Booster is able to deliver some nice black and white portraits or stage photos in available light conditions.

I am sorry but I have no time right now for a review, but I will try to post something on next week-end, which happens to be Labour Day here.

Cheers!

Abbazz
10-17-2017, 01:42 PM   #5644
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Thanks for the reply Abbazz. Looks good in color. No rush on a review. Just excited a company decided to make optics for the Q.
Thanks again,
barondla

10-18-2017, 01:51 AM   #5645
Pentaxian

Thanks for the reply Abbazz. Looks good in color. No rush on a review. Just excited a company decided to make optics for the Q.
Personally, I would be extatic if MS Optical could manufacture another batch of the elusive MS-Optical Sonnetar 25mm f/1.1 for Pentax Q...

Cheers!

Abbazz
10-18-2017, 07:10 AM   #5646
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Abbazz Quote
Personally, I would be extatic if MS Optical could manufacture another batch of the elusive MS-Optical Sonnetar 25mm f/1.1 for Pentax Q...

Cheers!

Abbazz
Agree it would be great to see another batch of these lenses for the Q. Even better would be a pancake lens like the Perar shown in his workshop. MS Optical Japan - Japan Camera Hunter scroll down to see it. Build this in a Q friendly focal length and people would buy it. It looks so beautiful.

Thanks
barondla
10-21-2017, 02:10 PM - 3 Likes   #5647

Hell Abbazz !
Have you checked if there are really 2 stops of light measured by the camera between f/0,666 & f/1,4 ? (f/1,4 on the Nikkor without the devil's accessory & f/1,2 with it)

Q7 + 02
Heavy pp : The natural image was flat. I was disappointed, so I played with the color of the sky. With a "small" touch of indigo, the color of the sky is now gloriously false. Just some fun

10-21-2017, 11:42 PM   #5648
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Phenix jc Quote
Hell Abbazz !
Have you checked if there are really 2 stops of light measured by the camera between f/0,666 & f/1,4 ? (f/1,4 on the Nikkor without the devil's accessory & f/1,2 with it)
I just did the test and I got 1/1250s at f/1.2 with the focal reducer (F/0.666) and 1/400 at f/1.4 without it. That's a little bit less than 2 stops but the picture taken with the focal reducer looks overexposed, so I guess there are indeed two stops between them!

Here are the two shots:

Cheers!

Abbazz

[EDIT] Forgot to add: The picture was taken after sunset, hence the 1/400s at f/1.4.

Last edited by Abbazz; 10-22-2017 at 01:56 AM.
10-22-2017, 02:37 PM - 1 Like   #5649
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
DOF and the Shift Lens Effect

The perceived wisdom with Q lenses is to shoot wide open, or half a stop down from wide open.

Does that still hold true if you are subsequently going to rely on a shift lens effect to straighten things up? This lady's garland is sharper than her olive branch...surely there was enough DOF from the 01 prime?
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX Q7  Photo 
10-22-2017, 09:33 PM - 3 Likes   #5650
Veteran Member

Q7 + 01 Standard Prime

Philly from the BOK rooftop
by John Flores, on Flickr

Q7 + 06 Telephoto Zoom @44.5mm

Philly from the BOK rooftop
10-23-2017, 12:53 AM - 4 Likes   #5651
kwb
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Abbazz, thank you for these tests!

Phenix jc, false and nice

John, great urban landscape.

08 wide zoom at 3.8mm.

After sunset by k kwb, on Flickr

SMC PENTAX-M MACRO 1:4 50mm with genuine Pentax Q-K adapter.

I'm gonna press this key for you. by k kwb, on Flickr

02 Standard Zoom at 5.1mm, f/4, ISO 100, ND filter ON, 0.4 sec.

Men in red by k kwb, on Flickr
10-23-2017, 08:28 PM - 4 Likes   #5652
Veteran Member

Went to Philly to go to the launch of friend's Laura Baird's "I Wish I Was a Sparrow." Took the Q7, 01 Prime, 08 Wide Zoom and 06 Tele Zoom. I knew ahead of time that I'd need to convert to B&W due to the low light so I set up the EVF that way.

Brickbat Books, Philadelphia

Laura Baid, 'I Wish I Was a Sparrow' album party. Brickbat Books, Philadelphia.

10-23-2017, 09:00 PM   #5653
Unregistered User

Nice available light work John. I find that using the Q7 in situations like this is very non-disruptive, most people don't even notice that you are taking pictures. The option of using electronic shutter is good to have when you have to be absolutely silent.
10-23-2017, 10:38 PM - 1 Like   #5654
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Retired wagon

I shot this image a few years ago while on a motorcycle trip.
Pentax Q7, ISO 200, 1/50ss, Aperture priority, 5-15mm lens f8 at 8mm focal length.
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX Q7  Photo 
10-24-2017, 02:27 AM - 1 Like   #5655
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by CWRailman Quote
I shot this image a few years ago while on a motorcycle trip.
Pentax Q7, ISO 200, 1/50ss, Aperture priority, 5-15mm lens f8 at 8mm focal length.
As a young lad I watched my cousins making wheels of that type and fitting red hot iron rims to them, I was allowed to turn the wheel that worked the forge bellows, presumably because it kept me as far away from the forge as possible.

In the summer you had to regularly drive your cart through water to swell up the timber and stop the iron rims falling off, the engine, donkey, pony or horse depending on the cart size, could have a drink as well. Donkeys had a very keen sense of when work was in the offering and it could take you quite some time to catch the engine.

I had forgotten all that, thanks for stirring the memory.

CD