Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 5700 Likes Search this Thread
01-18-2018, 05:19 AM - 1 Like   #5731

QuoteOriginally posted by barondla Quote
Nice job dingo-by-the-sea. You have the Q-S1 and lenses performing at a great level. Keep on shooting.
Thanks,
barondla
Thank you! It goes with me everywhere and had unexpectedly become my favorite camera!

01-30-2018, 04:00 AM - 4 Likes   #5732

Photos: Gallery
I'm glad you've captured some images from Dakota Crescent. There's a lot of "old" post colonial stuff that will have to be replaced, but it seems too much is being replaced without retaining something special, like the play area. All the while even more expensive condos air going up to satisfy the appetites of ex-pats and airbnb.

Any suggestions where this ang mo could go on his next trip in March?[COLOR="Silver"]

---------- Post added 01-30-18 at 04:26 AM ----------

My first ever fish eye photo on any camera. Loving my QS1 more and more.

Last edited by Gwailo Ang Mo; 01-30-2018 at 04:23 AM.
01-30-2018, 06:26 PM   #5733
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Welcome to the Q and this forum Gwailo Ang Mo. Excellent first fisheye image. You have it rock n rollin. You will love the fisheye. The Q are great cameras and a lot of fun. People get more creative when using a Q. Do you have other lenses in addition to the FE? You should consider entering a shot in the Point and Shoot Contest. See signature below.
Thanks for sharing,
barondla
01-30-2018, 06:51 PM   #5734
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Gwailo Ang Mo Quote
I'm glad you've captured some images from Dakota Crescent. There's a lot of "old" post colonial stuff that will have to be replaced, but it seems too much is being replaced without retaining something special, like the play area. All the while even more expensive condos air going up to satisfy the appetites of ex-pats and airbnb.

Any suggestions where this ang mo could go on his next trip in March?[COLOR="Silver"]

---------- Post added 01-30-18 at 04:26 AM ----------

My first ever fish eye photo on any camera. Loving my QS1 more and more.
Ha.. ha.. what a choice of name for the forums

Sadly, too much of this misguided idea that building new stuff = progress here...

The usual spots to try out will be the streets surrounding Chinatown or Little India.
Unfortunately, you just missed Thaipusam which is yesterday and today.

Little India retains most of its character as the regular folks still use it and there has not been as much new developments in that area.

Chinatown is a 'fake' "Chinese town" since less and less locals go there to get anything done and its spruced up as a tourist area.
Its some of the streets around it and the older inhabitants that offer a glimpse of what the place was. (and opportunity for people/candid photography)

02-05-2018, 08:30 AM   #5735

QuoteOriginally posted by pinholecam Quote
Ha.. ha.. what a choice of name for the forums

Sadly, too much of this misguided idea that building new stuff = progress here...

The usual spots to try out will be the streets surrounding Chinatown or Little India.
Unfortunately, you just missed Thaipusam which is yesterday and today.

Little India retains most of its character as the regular folks still use it and there has not been as much new developments in that area.

Chinatown is a 'fake' "Chinese town" since less and less locals go there to get anything done and its spruced up as a tourist area.
Its some of the streets around it and the older inhabitants that offer a glimpse of what the place was. (and opportunity for people/candid photography)
I should have said I know bits of Singapore white well. I was a tiny tot in the 50s at RAF Changi and I've made fifteen return visits since 1989.

I agree Chinatown is nothing exciting (apart from the availability of free Wifi). I don't know why I haven't been round Little India more. I guess I will need to put that right! I enjoy the CBD when it's empty at weekends. I hope I might get the chance to see some of the otters.

During my last visit, I was at the rail terminus at Tanjong Pagar when they opened it for the last time on Xmas Day 2016. I had a great time with my QS1 and Leica and got a couple of acceptable photos that day. I hope you were there on one of the open days. Not only did I have a wonderful time, it was a trip down memory lane, remembering an extremely late arrival on the train all the way from Butterworth in 2011.

:-)
02-07-2018, 11:25 PM - 4 Likes   #5736

Testing Wildlife Posibilities

Using a 135mm (705mm) to see if i could get ussable images. I think i need a better 135mm because i get tons of CA that softwere can only disimulate a little . Any suggestion?

02-08-2018, 12:59 AM   #5737
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by coyot3 Quote
Using a 135mm (705mm) to see if i could get ussable images. I think i need a better 135mm because i get tons of CA that softwere can only disimulate a little . Any suggestion?

Which one do you use? SMC Pentax-M 135/3.5 is nice and compact. Half stop between 4 and 5.6 might be the best aperture for the genuine Q.

...errr - I meant half stop between 3.5 and 5.6

Last edited by Piotrek K; 02-08-2018 at 03:47 AM.
02-08-2018, 04:15 AM   #5738
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I've had good results with an A135/2.8 @f4, but another interesting (and low-cost) option is the M75-150/4 zoom.

See my post #1222 on the thread "The "reach" of the Q" thread for some samples.

More interesting still is the wonderful SMC Pentax-D FA 100/2.8 @ f4. The extra sharpness would easily compensate for any cropping.

Last edited by Shedking; 02-08-2018 at 04:20 AM.
02-08-2018, 06:09 PM - 1 Like   #5739
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I love the 08

I am always astonished by the results from the 08.
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX Q7  Photo 
02-11-2018, 07:35 AM - 1 Like   #5740

Echoes across the Limmat

Looking from a courtyard from one side of the Limmat to the Lindenhof in Zurich I noticed how the lamp and the hut were serendipitously aligned. I have been in that courtyard quite a few times over the past 30 years and never noticed until that day. Taken at full stretch on the 06 lens.

OK, the purists will argue there is some fringing when you look at it in close detail (and it's nowhere near as bad as in the early days of digital photography), but as a holiday snap with a difference, taken on a camera with a difference, I'm not complaining (and I'm not going to spend hours at the computer tarting it up to remove the fringing), especially as you can see the ruddy pigeons clearly on the roof of the hut!

Pentax Q-S1
Q 06 15-45
f 1/320
ISO 100
45mm
Attached Images

02-11-2018, 09:25 PM   #5741
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Gwailo Ang Mo Quote
Taken at full stretch on the 06 lens.

OK, the purists will argue there is some fringing when you look at it in close detail
I can usually quickly manage with Snapseed just to finge off most tree branch purple fringes with a selective desaturation brush.
02-13-2018, 05:42 PM - 1 Like   #5742

Nice shot anyway.
As always, the Pentax Q/Q7 sensor is very demanding, legacy lenses aren't really at their best with it.
Any modern 135mm, ED glass, (APO?), should be better : A not so expensive Samyang 135mm 2.0 ?
I've myself to try the gigantic Nikkor 135/2 ai/ais. I'm not too optimistic, and 135mm is on the short side, but why not afterall...
(BTW, forget diffraction with legacy lenses, don't hesitate to try f/8, but check the result)

Misery, Q7+02 stitched
02-14-2018, 12:45 PM - 2 Likes   #5743
Forum Member

Pentax Q-S1 06 Telephoto Zoom

Hello friends...
I bring you some pictures through the streets of Seville, playing with speed and movement ... I hope you like them ...[COLOR="Silver"]

---------- Post added 02-14-18 at 12:55 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by er1kksen Quote
A couple shots from the last couple days- it's chilly out! Both with Q7 and 06 Zoom. My Q gear is for sale over in the marketplace- I've had a great time with it, but I need geotagging after all.
Bella takes .. !!! squeezing the virtues of 06 ...!!!
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX Q-S1  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX Q-S1  Photo 

Last edited by Alayos92; 02-14-2018 at 12:51 PM.
02-15-2018, 10:59 PM   #5744
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Alayos92 Quote
Pentax Q-S1 06 Telephoto Zoom

Hello friends...
I bring you some pictures through the streets of Seville, playing with speed and movement ... I hope you like them ...

Really nice! I especially like the first one.
02-16-2018, 02:50 AM   #5745
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Kitty, Daisy and Lewis at The Corner Hotel, Melbourne, Australia. Kitty on guitar.
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX Q  Photo