Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-29-2018, 09:17 AM - 1 Like   #5971

The 500 F4P is an amazing lens, every time I use it it impresses me. I didn't try the Sony without the TC301 but without it the crop would have been pretty small. The resulting crop with the TC301 in place is around 10MP. Next clear night I will try it. With it on the Q I think I was getting motion blur, the electronic shutter probably wasn't helping there. Wonder if the Pentax K to Q adapter could be adapted to Nikon mount to get an actual shutter?

The TC301 is the recommended teleconverter for the 500 f4p.

Shawn

12-29-2018, 09:56 PM   #5972
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Shawn67 Quote
The 500 F4P is an amazing lens, every time I use it it impresses me. I didn't try the Sony without the TC301 but without it the crop would have been pretty small. The resulting crop with the TC301 in place is around 10MP. Next clear night I will try it. With it on the Q I think I was getting motion blur, the electronic shutter probably wasn't helping there. Wonder if the Pentax K to Q adapter could be adapted to Nikon mount to get an actual shutter?

The TC301 is the recommended teleconverter for the 500 f4p.

Shawn
Imagine the Pentax K to Q adapter could be modified to fit Nikon lenses. Remember the guy on this site that made the multi mount adapter for K mount bodies? It allowed Nikon & Olympus OM lens to fit a Pentax dslr. That mount probably wouldn't fit the adapter, but it shows what could be possible.adapter

Thanks,
barondla
12-29-2018, 10:38 PM - 1 Like   #5973
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by barondla Quote
Imagine the Pentax K to Q adapter could be modified to fit Nikon lenses. Remember the guy on this site that made the multi mount adapter for K mount bodies? It allowed Nikon & Olympus OM lens to fit a Pentax dslr. That mount probably wouldn't fit the adapter, but it shows what could be possible.adapter.
Some Nikon lenses don't need any adapter to be used on Pentax cameras. The shape of the bayonet is close enough to allow Nikon lenses to engage firmly inside the Pentax bayonet, but without allowing the lens to rotate enough to reach the locking position. The flange focal distance (register) is also quite close between Pentax and Nikon (45.46mm vs. 46.50mm). As the register is longer for Nikon, there is no risk of a Nikon lens not reaching infinity when used on a Pentax bayonet. The only consequence would be that the Nikon lens would not focus quite as close when used on a Pentax bayonet and also that it would focus a little past the infinity mark. But the difference usually doesn't matter, especially for long lenses. See this old thread for details (unfortunately, most pictures are down): Using Nikon F Lenses On Pentax K Bodies (LBA Post): Pentax SLR Talk Forum: Digital Photography Review

I guess it might be possible to put the big Nikon telephoto on a sturdy tripod and to fit a Pentax Q with the Pentax adapter behind the big lens without needing any modification to the adapter or additional hardware.

Cheers!

Abbazz
12-30-2018, 06:42 AM - 1 Like   #5974
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Abulafia Quote
Great Q shots!

12-30-2018, 09:31 AM   #5975

Thanks for the information on the adapters. I was thinking the K mount side of the adapter looks like it would just unscrew so it should be pretty easy to drill a Nikon mount flange to screw in its place. To get fancy one could add a 1.04mm spacer behind the Nikon flange to maintain proper flange distance. That would be helpful on the 500mm as the infinity stop is right on the mark.

Now if I could just find that adapter used....

Thanks,

Shanw
12-30-2018, 02:52 PM   #5976
kwb
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Pentax Q-S1 with Nikon 500mm F4P. Uncropped. The Q had more detail than shots I also took with a Sony A7RII with the same lens plus a 2x Nikon TC-301 teleconverter.

Shawn
Great image, Shawn!
500mm is a perfect focal length for the Moon on Q7 and Q-S1 (maybe a bit too long for Q and Q-10), and the lens seems to be super sharp!
12-30-2018, 08:27 PM   #5977
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Thanks for the information on the adapters. I was thinking the K mount side of the adapter looks like it would just unscrew so it should be pretty easy to drill a Nikon mount flange to screw in its place. To get fancy one could add a 1.04mm spacer behind the Nikon flange to maintain proper flange distance. That would be helpful on the 500mm as the infinity stop is right on the mark.

Now if I could just find that adapter used....

Thanks,

Shanw
May not be as simple as that. If, big if, the back side of both lens mounts were perfectly flat, it would be easy. Usually lens mount backs aren't flat.

Tried converting a Lensbaby Tilt Transformer from Nikon to Pentax. Had Pentax donor lens mount. It wasn't flat on back side. Neither was the Tilt Transformer. Never managed to get it working.

Thanks,
barondla.

12-30-2018, 08:30 PM - 2 Likes   #5978

Thanks, the 500mm is crazy sharp. Just an outstanding lens.

Not on a Q but....

Shawn

---------- Post added 12-30-18 at 10:33 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by barondla Quote
May not be as simple as that. If, big if, the back side of both lens mounts were perfectly flat, it would be easy. Usually lens mount backs aren't flat.

Tried converting a Lensbaby Tilt Transformer from Nikon to Pentax. Had Pentax donor lens mount. It wasn't flat on back side. Neither was the Tilt Transformer. Never managed to get it working.

Thanks,
barondla.
Good point. I converted a couple of Rokinon Canon EF mount lenses to Sigma SA (using Pentax K mount extension rings) and in that case it was easy as the backs of the mounts were totally flat. There were really only 3 contact points at each of the screw holes.

I guess it totally depends upon if the back of the Pentax mount in the adapter is flat or not.

Shawn
01-01-2019, 05:46 AM - 5 Likes   #5979
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Tamron 16/1.4 (C-mount) at f2 - probably my favorite lens for the Q. Very small, so fine for snaps during family outings.
Attached Images

01-02-2019, 09:51 AM - 3 Likes   #5980

Never shot one of these. Dont really know where to point lol. This is a single exposure qs1 02 lens. Single exposure since I dont have stacking software on my phone. Edited in lightroom mobile

01-02-2019, 05:48 PM - 2 Likes   #5981

Some exploring at Pioneer Park

01-02-2019, 06:06 PM   #5982
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Perry Wilson Quote
Never shot one of these. Dont really know where to point lol. This is a single exposure qs1 02 lens. Single exposure since I dont have stacking software on my phone. Edited in lightroom mobile
Excellent image. Great 1st attempt.
Thanks for sharing,
barondla
01-06-2019, 04:20 AM - 7 Likes   #5983
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Melbourne Shot Tower, using the 03 Fisheye lens

01-06-2019, 07:10 AM - 5 Likes   #5984

Late autumn in Italy.

Autunno a Prato di Campoli / Autumn in Prato di Campoli by Federico Tomasello, su Flickr

Autunno a Prato di Campoli / Autumn in Prato di Campoli by Federico Tomasello, su Flickr

01-14-2019, 03:44 PM - 6 Likes   #5985
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery

Tamron 16/1.4 has cool aperture shape at f4. (Almost) forgot to test it on Christmas tree.

Last edited by Piotrek K; 01-14-2019 at 04:13 PM.
« The MaQro Qlub! | - »