Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-23-2022, 12:19 AM - 5 Likes   #6751
Forum Member

Pentax Q + auto 110 Lens. For the macro shots, I've used the 50mm + close-up lens, all handheld.

Unfortunately, these will be the last of the photos I upload as I have already sold my Pentax Q and I'm upgrading to Fujifilm X-t10 I found a nice deal for.

It was a fun ride. I bought the camera so I could learn photography from scratch and I have learned A LOT from camera operation basics, editing RAW to adapting and embracing technical disadvantages of the Q and working around them to produce decent photos. I've outgrown the Q now and I'm ready to learn with a more powerful camera. Thank you everyone here in the Q forums, I have learned priceless camera knowledge.

All the photos we make with the Q is a firm testament that the photographer and not the gear is the deciding factor of a good photo.

(Oh, I'm also not quite done with Pentax yet. I'm already ordering Pentax PK mount lenses to adapt for the X-T10 so you guys may still see me around)

06-24-2022, 06:44 AM - 1 Like   #6752
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Cipher Quote
There is a reason that Ansel Adams, Edward and Brett Weston and other photographers lived in this area!

The Carmel/Point Lobos pictures were taken on a hazy/misty day and were initially quite flat. Another part of the "look" on these images is due to the 50mm Auto 110 lens and its 230mm equivalent FOV. Because I'm only using the center part of the image it has a uniform edge to edge sharpness with virtually no distortion or vignetting. At f4.5 it is on the edge of diffraction, which also gives it a smoother look. It may not be as clinically sharp as the 06, but I like it. As far as the initial capture I always have a 30mm deep hood (37mm on a 37.5-37mm adapter) on the 50 and expose manually to have a fair amount of headroom in the highlights. Unless there is a wide range of light values, I usually use JPG, I find that at low ISO it gives me better results than I can get from RAW, YMMV.

I use Photoshop Elements 2020 for processing and I usually up-size the image to 32" x 20" at 300 dpi first before doing any processing. I applied the haze removal tool at its default setting and then used the adjust sharpness tool, but not very strong. I then set levels and added some saturation, both over-all and in the greens. The mission image had some shadow-area burning to get some deeper blacks in the trees.

The water on the rocks may have had a little more sharpening. You can see a little fringing on the upper left edge of the rocks image, if I had regular PS I probably could have gotten rid of that, although it doesn't bother me, it adds "edgy-ness" to the image. It might be tricky to get that over-all look with a FF camera at 230mm but it is a snap with the Q-7 and the 50mm.

I down-sized the images to fit my blog, which is where the Pentax Forum files came from, the full-size files look even better, of course.

Hope that gives you some ideas, I find the haze removal tool to be a real godsend for images like these provided you don't over-do it.
Great blog! I'll look for Halldór Laxness in English.
06-28-2022, 12:08 PM   #6753
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Cipher Quote
Carmelite Mission and Point Lobos, Carmel, California. Pentax Q7 w/ Pentax 110 50mm @f4.5:
I saw this image quite a while back and its still in my "minds eye"
This somehow has a very impressionist painting feel to it - at least when viewing it on my laptop. Reminds me of various California Impressionist landscape paintings William Wendt: The Sculpted Landscape | California Plein-Air Impressionism

I also have a Q7 and the full Pentax 110 kit. But... i also just got a M4/3 GM5.
So... contemplating which adapter... a Q7/110 or a M4/3/110 adapter?
06-30-2022, 02:24 PM   #6754
Unregistered User

QuoteOriginally posted by PentHassyKon Quote
I saw this image quite a while back and its still in my "minds eye"This somehow has a very impressionist painting feel to it - at least when viewing it on my laptop. Reminds me of various California Impressionist landscape paintings William Wendt: The Sculpted Landscape | California Plein-Air Impressionism
Very apt observation. There is just enough mist in the air to give an impressionistic look to photos shot there. The reduce haze option in Photoshop ( either full version or Elements) is a great way to fine-tune the results.

QuoteOriginally posted by PentHassyKon Quote
I also have a Q7 and the full Pentax 110 kit. But... i also just got a M4/3 GM5.So... contemplating which adapter... a Q7/110 or a M4/3/110 adapter?
You'll probably get soft and somewhat dark corners with the 110 50mm on M4/3, although that would be a plus in a portrait. I haven't tried it myself but I know it is a popular lens with the M4/3 crowd. You might have to get Lensbaby discs for that if you want to stop it down. I used a rubber washer in the 110 to Q adapter, it just popped in and it gives me about an f4.5 aperture, which is pretty much optimum for resolution/diffraction.

07-21-2022, 04:53 PM - 3 Likes   #6755
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Q meets Q7 and got a baby!

07-23-2022, 02:17 PM - 1 Like   #6756
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

After using Q family, I feel like I lost muscles lol. Holding K3+17-70 feels like I am lifting a mountain
07-25-2022, 07:18 PM - 4 Likes   #6757
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Jupiter Canyon Hike with Incredible Q7

Jupiter Canyon Hike with Incredible Q7!

07-30-2022, 01:28 PM   #6758
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Brand new shinny 06 lens, just showed up
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
Pixel 2 XL  Photo 
08-02-2022, 05:02 PM - 1 Like   #6759
Pentaxian

Nice 06 !
just a tip...they bounce on concrete and acquire a bend as I discovered to my chagrin
08-03-2022, 04:44 AM   #6760
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Transit Quote
Nice 06 !
just a tip...they bounce on concrete and acquire a bend as I discovered to my chagrin
Don't be embarassed. This can happen even in the best of families such as my own. :>)
09-08-2022, 07:28 PM - 6 Likes   #6761

Passing Chicago Light as we sail in, ahead of storm. Q10 with 01 Prime lens.
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX Q10  Photo 
09-08-2022, 08:09 PM   #6762
Pentaxian

Very nice shot. Amazing the detail and contrast depth in that tiny sensor
09-09-2022, 03:15 AM   #6763

Very nice shot. Amazing the detail and contrast depth in that tiny sensor
Thank you! It is amazing what you can get with this little camera. I'm still trying to cross over the line into the realm of "amateur" haha. I shot this in aperture priority mode, from a moving, pitching sailboat, with maybe 5 minutes of edits on the back end. I looked at the info from the file: ISO 125, 8.5mm, f/6.3, 1/60.

Last edited by dr_canak; 09-09-2022 at 03:34 AM.
09-09-2022, 03:52 AM   #6764
Pentaxian

Have you got distortion correction turned on ? a wee bit of tilt on the edges
09-09-2022, 04:40 AM   #6765

Have you got distortion correction turned on ? a wee bit of tilt on the edges
Yeah, I know what you're saying. I did not know about Distortion Correction, but just checked the camera and it is set to "on", so assume it was on when I took the picture. I use Luminar Neo for edits, set the camera profile in there and turned on "Auto Distortion Correction". Maybe that overdid it, and I should have left it as is? Admittedly, I just did it w/o thinking, and maybe I should have paid closer attention to the effect that Neo's distortion correction was having. I'll make sure and look closer next time. Thx much for the feedback. Really helpful as I did not know about the in-camera correction.