Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-24-2012, 08:32 AM   #16
Veteran Member

Barondla, where did you get that aperture control adaptor? I would like to give that a try with my DA*300 and old cheapie TC

01-24-2012, 03:25 PM   #17
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Original Poster
cali92rs, the adapter is on eekbay. It is sold by RJ/Jinn Finance. Make sure you order the one with tripod mount and aperture control ring. My 1st PK adapter had neither so the DA lenses shoot closed all the way down - useless. The tripod adapter allows use of DFA100 macro without hanging so much weight from Q and moves tripod mount away from body so lens clears tripod head. Have fun. Da*300 is great on Q. No idea how converter will work. I use K7 first and if more mag is needed use Q as digital teleconverter. No light loss plus " digital teleconverter" can be custom setup for long tele shooting -amount of lcd mag for focusing, little extra sharpening, greater contrast, slightly warmer WB to counteract tele shooting, etc. It is the future.
thanks
barondla

Check out P&S contest #49 WINNERS in compact camera forum and enter #50. Any brand camera enter now!
01-28-2012, 01:36 PM   #18
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Cool Setup

Hi Barondla:

I too am experimenting with using the Q for extreme telephoto. Where did you get the Reddot finder and does it work for accurate focussing?

Thanks.

Dale
01-28-2012, 04:38 PM   #19
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
DDoram, the RedDot finder is used on rifles and it came from a hunting store. Living in Canada it might be tougher to purchase. About 15 years ago had a Canadian rep that would travel to the US to sell car amplifiers. 1st time visiting the store he saw our gun department. Said he had never seen so many guns for sale in 1 place. We only had about 100 guns- nothing special. Other interesting thing was it took him an hour to go from Canada to US, and 3 times as long for him to return to his own country. Years later we learned that we should have followed Canada's lead on border security.

The RedDot doesn't do anything for focusing. It merely lights up an internal dot to help you find the subject. It is very frustating to see wildlife and not be able to frame it on the lcd. It is not easy to target a small bird with a 1650mm field of view lens.

Should point out the Reddot doesn't fit the hotshoe of a camera directly. I had to rig it. Think a company makes an adapter for this.

Focusng will be manually on the Q lcd. Make sure you enable the magnify option in the menu. I am very happy with the Q as a digital teleconverter. It gets me images I couldn't get other wise.
thanks
barondla

Last edited by barondla; 01-28-2012 at 04:44 PM.
01-29-2012, 05:21 AM   #20
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Q MF Magnification

Hi Barondla:

While the 4X MF magnification works with the 01 prime, is it supposed to work when you have a Q to K adapter? It doesn't seem to work for me.

Thanks.

Dale
01-29-2012, 05:30 AM   #21
Inactive Account

Wow, insane! Really love the setup. Can really see the Qs use in both this and Macro applications.
I would seriously consider this camera when Pentax bring out a 1:1 Macro for it then watch out!
01-29-2012, 07:11 AM   #22
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
DDoram, the Q must be set to mag lcd with an adapted lens. Menu, "camera", focus settings, MF assist, 2 or 4x. Once turned on it will mag when you press OK button. It will return to normal view when shutter button is slightly pressed or after a certain length of time. This also allows mag with the Pentax non premium lenses and is a must have for the fisheye, imho

Tonto, I hope Pentax makes a macro lens. Right now I am using the Pentax DFA 100 macro. There is a Fujian lens that Steve Nunez is using that does amazing closeups. If I remember it is 35mm focal length, a C mount lens, pretty sharp, and under $60!

Glad people like the long Q setup. I got the idea from snostorm. highly recommend reading posts by snostorm, devorama, and falconeye about the inner workings and techniques of the Q. Wealth of knowledge hidden there.
thanks
barondla

Check out P&S contest #49 winners in compact camera forum. Enter #50. Any brand camera. Enter now! Q is invited.

Last edited by barondla; 01-29-2012 at 10:04 AM.
01-29-2012, 08:45 AM   #23
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Wow this very interesting! Thanks for sharing this info.
I would love to see a u-tube video of you explaining the setup, components, and some representative shots with the da300 and dfa100 if you have the time and inclination.
Finally a reason to consider the q
01-30-2012, 10:23 PM   #24
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Thanks crewl1. Have no idea how to do an U tube video. Might post an image of the parts and do some more explanation. Have found a new eagle spot with them in nest. Will post a pic with #01 prime vs DFA300.

thanks
barondla

ps don't forget the Q is a very capable video camera also. It works with adapted lenses and allows manual control. I have to try this and learn basic movie making/editing.
01-30-2012, 10:33 PM   #25
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Look forward to it, thanks.
02-19-2012, 03:00 PM   #26
Veteran Member

I'm holding out for the 2.8 PRO version...

QuoteOriginally posted by barondla Quote
Pentax Q w/ Pentax DA*300 f4 lens, aperture control adapter, Reddot laser finder, and home made lcd shade. Not a toy. The Q grown up!
thanks for looking
barondla
you're insane!

Cheers,
Cameron