Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-23-2012, 08:09 AM   #1
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
the Q & horses

Pentax Q - a set on Flickr
added some more photos taken with Q ( EV @ -0.3 ) , still straggling to get it right with strong Australian sun.
blown highlights - still the problem, will try tomorrow with EV @ - 0.7 although next few days is going to be +40 or +42 deg C - not really walking outdoors weather!
any suggestions how to reduce blown highlights - or it is just limitation of a small sensor??
kind regards
jack

01-23-2012, 02:47 PM   #2

Your settings

Hi Jack.
I've been following your posts with interest, so thank you for posting! If available, can you please post the exif data for the image with the white SUV? It's image IMGP0313. I think you've done incredibly well with this camera and I'm interested in your settings for motion. It looks as if the SUV was in motion, given the surroundings.

I had the Q kit when it first came out (01 and 02 lenses), but returned it prior to the price drop and firmware update. Now I'm rethinking my decision.

Thanks in advance.
Kimberly
01-23-2012, 06:55 PM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

DigiPro, the firmware updates really take the Q to the next level. Af is much improved and it actually focuses on the right thing.
thanks
barondla
01-23-2012, 07:54 PM   #4

Barondla, thanks for the confirmation. The only other item on my wish list is an attachable EVF (that can be used with all lenses). At times it was a bit difficult to see the screen in the bright Florida sun. The ergonomics of this camera fit my hands very well. With the recent announcements of new cameras, hopefully the Q prices will drop even lower.

01-23-2012, 10:21 PM   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Wish Pentax would have put a connector for efv on the Q. Since they didn't how about a Hoodman type lupe to cover and shade the screen with magnification? Friend has it on his Q. I would really like a folding lcd hood with magnification - like the hood on a tlr. It would protect the lcd when folded up.

Once Pentax made a little P&S camera that had slots to take a little sunshade for the lcd. When detached it folded flat and was paper thin. Sold for less than $10.
thanks
barondla

" every camera sensor crops the world"
01-24-2012, 02:51 AM   #6
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
SUV was moving fast

QuoteOriginally posted by DigiPro Quote
Hi Jack.
I've been following your posts with interest, so thank you for posting! If available, can you please post the exif data for the image with the white SUV? It's image IMGP0313. I think you've done incredibly well with this camera and I'm interested in your settings for motion. It looks as if the SUV was in motion, given the surroundings.

I had the Q kit when it first came out (01 and 02 lenses), but returned it prior to the price drop and firmware update. Now I'm rethinking my decision.

Thanks in advance.
Kimberly
thank you Kimberly,
I just uploaded that photo with Exif ( I hope, my first upload!), have a look:
https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/post-your-photos/172770-streets-q-my-firs...ml#post1791859
kind regards
jack
01-24-2012, 06:19 AM   #7

Jack,
Excellent! Thanks for the extra info, really appreciate it. I am THIS close to buying the Q again. Just waiting to see what other goodies are announced next month before I make my final decision.

Kimberly

01-24-2012, 06:31 AM   #8
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Have you seen our Q review?

Pentax Q Review - Overview - PentaxForums.com

The camera that's coming next month is way different from the Q. The focus won't be as much on size or portability as it will be on performance. The K-01 sounds like Pentax's first stab at a mirroless alternative to the DSLR, though they are by no means abandoning the DSLR line.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
01-24-2012, 09:31 PM   #9
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Some tips to reduce blown highlights:

1. Check shutter speed and aperture. Q with 01 or 02 premium lenses uses builtin leaf shutters by default. This only goes to 1/2000. Q lenses only close down to f8 ( and you don't want to be there for max sharpness). Even at ISO 125-200 this can cause problems. It does no good to +- exposure comp if the camera is already doing all it can in that area - it can't make the pic darker. You can either go into menu and select ND filter with leaf shutter or go into custom menu and select the electronic shutter ( it goes to 1/8000!). Then the +- has more range to work. This should eliminate blown highlights.

2. Set ISO as low as possible for more dynamic range.

3. Shoot in Raw for normal subjects.

4. Static subjects use jpeg and three shot HDR ( on natural).

5. For single shot there is also a shadow/highlight adjustment in jpeg. Careful these can add noise.

Hope this helps
thanks
barondla
01-25-2012, 12:02 AM   #10
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
thank you barondla,

yes , it is much different than using K7.
did try ND and HDR, must start using RAW just do not want to do much post processing ( no time!).
kind regards
jack