Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-31-2012, 11:36 AM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Please share other's reactions to the Q

Was wondering... In regards to other's first contact.

Do you ever pull your Q out and not get a comment or reaction from your subjects or others nearby if it's their first time seeing it?

Or does it mostly get confused for a run of the mill P&S and not garner much attention?

01-31-2012, 04:36 PM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Interesting question. The answer varies. Nonobservative people seem to view it as a simple P&S. Visually oriented people quickly latch onto the retro styling and know it's not just a P&S. These people often ask about the Q with genuine interest. Have learned to control the situation by how I hold the camera. With lens resting in fairly open hand the retro shows. If I wrap left hand around lens, can hide it and most of the body. Then it looks like a P&S to everyone. Love my Q.
thanks
barondla
01-31-2012, 06:08 PM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
I have taken it out a number of times and I always get a reaction of great interest. I was part of a local photography meet up group and took the Q and K-5 with me. When I took the Q out everyone came over to check it out. Some Nikon users were fawning over it and loved the small size and the build. I showed them a few shots later in the day and were impressed by small camera. So far everyone I have encountered thinks it is really cool. I aslo stopped in to Penn Camera(Washington, DC) this weekend and the sales person was really liking it. Penn Camera is going out of business and they had a Lumix GF2 they were selling at a good price. I have to say the Q was way better build quality and menu operation was so much better. I love the Q and have no regrets, kudos to Pentax for thinking outside the box and pushing some limits.
01-31-2012, 08:47 PM   #4
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

My Q received very positive feedback and lot of interest from Media teaching people in my University.
they were amazed with build quality of Q and 01 and 02.
they are all Canon users,we have tried one of theirs Zacuto Z-Finder Pro on Q, to fit perfectly it would need small modification, but even as it was it made huge difference when we took it into the bright Australian sun.
the Zacuto mount is big and obviously looks a bit ridiculous on Q , I hope that someone in China is listening and would come up with similar but simpler and cheaper design more suitable for the Q.
Some of those Media people use Leica cameras and they commented that Q has a very similar feel while being used, very pleasing to my ears!

Last edited by i_trax; 01-31-2012 at 11:46 PM.
03-15-2012, 06:06 AM   #5
Veteran Member

No one in any crowd has asked me about the Q nor noticed it which i think is good for me and why i like the Q.
but
When i'm walking with the fujifilm x100, i get the usual question, "is that a leica?" or comments like "going old school leica uh"
but
When i'm walking with the Canon 7D i get stares and when the white is on i get approached
03-15-2012, 06:12 AM   #6
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by EricBrown Quote
I have taken it out a number of times and I always get a reaction of great interest.
It was very juvenile of me to laugh at this.
03-15-2012, 09:19 AM   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Northern Soul Quote
It was very juvenile of me to laugh at this.
LOL, after reading my post again, I did too!

03-15-2012, 09:23 AM   #8
Forum Member

Hi guys,
a couple of days ago I was at a Robotics Competition at the Stanford University, held within a campus building (artificial lights, not too intense). I had my Q with me, with both the primes.
I was documenting the event (pretty funny, indeed) and a pro photog that was also there with two big'n'heavy Nikon FF guns approached me asking about the Q. I handed it to him, and he was generally impressed by the Q feel (perhaps just to be nice, though).
"Do you really don't need any flash here? with that tiny thing?", he asked. "Well, I'll let you see by yourself. Gimme your email and I'll send you some samples."
So I did, and he answered with surprise and appreciation for the image quality. He didn't pointed out his own results, though.

Would you like, you could find the report here (I'm sorry, though, it's in Italian): Robotics Contest - One Year in America
03-18-2012, 02:11 PM   #9
Banned

QuoteOriginally posted by Paolo.Bosetti Quote
Would you like, you could find the report here (I'm sorry, though, it's in Italian): Robotics Contest - One Year in America
Nice shots. They look pretty clean at the size embedded in the post.

PS: It's funny to read Italian and find words like "robot" and "budget" in there
03-18-2012, 02:28 PM   #10
Forum Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Laurentiu Cristofor Quote
PS: It's funny to read Italian and find words like "robot" and "budget" in there
Thanks Laurentiu. You know, techie slang, whatever the language, is prone to bastardize English words. Although "robot" is a Czech word borrowed in many (most) languages as is.
03-19-2012, 07:29 AM   #11
Pentaxian

(...)
(...) techie slang, whatever the language, is prone to bastardize English words. Although "robot" is a Czech word borrowed in many (most) languages as is.
...and 'budget' comes from the old French 'bougette' which means a small 'bouge', a 'bouge' being a leather bag, a purse.
03-19-2012, 08:36 AM   #12

Actually all the cool-sounding words in all languages were borrowed from the Estonian language.
03-19-2012, 10:47 AM   #13
Banned

Thanks Laurentiu. You know, techie slang, whatever the language, is prone to bastardize English words. Although "robot" is a Czech word borrowed in many (most) languages as is.
QuoteOriginally posted by Mistral75 Quote
...and 'budget' comes from the old French 'bougette' which means a small 'bouge', a 'bouge' being a leather bag, a purse.
It's not that I thought those words are English, but that I just don't think they mesh well with Italian. For example, I find it funny to read "due robot", "i sedici robot", using the same form as the singular for the plural.
03-19-2012, 01:16 PM   #14
Forum Member

It's not that I thought those words are English, but that I just don't think they mesh well with Italian. For example, I find it funny to read "due robot", "i sedici robot", using the same form as the singular for the plural.
I think we are really going OT here but at the risk to look pedantic, an Italian language rule states that borrowed foreign words must not be pluralized: "un robot, due robot" and not "un robot, due robots".