Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 179 Likes Search this Thread
12-01-2012, 12:19 PM - 1 Like   #136
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums

Staff note: This post may contain affiliate links, which means Pentax Forums may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. If you would like to support the forum directly, you may also make a donation here.

Caught some cormorants and pelicans sunning themselves at Legg Lake last week.

Sigma 70-200

DA*300

Your run-of-the-mill reach shot of a GBH

Short video

Last edited by crewl1; 12-01-2012 at 12:38 PM.
12-01-2012, 01:20 PM   #137

Nice shot of the cormorants with the DA*300 ! How was the light at that time?
I will be getting my Q and Q-K , Q-Nikon adapters soon :-) will be trying out the FA*300 f4.5 and a Nikon 300 f4.5 ED-IF i bought specifically for use with the Q... As soon i get some shots i will post them here.
Thanks for all the marvellous shots and advice that is posted in this thread.
12-01-2012, 01:29 PM   #138
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Hi mgbirder, welcome to the Q party.
The sky was partly cloudy and for the shots here the sun was partly obscured.

In the adapter comparison thread one shot of the pelicans was in sun so the shadows look more defined.
It was around 1PM when I took these last week, sun was to my left.
The GBH was in shade.

I shoot manual and like the output when the scale is showing about -1 EV using the Q on adapted lenses.
There are usually white egrets at this spot and those and the white pelicans are easy to blow out the exposure.

This was the first time seeing the cormorants, they must be passing through.

Look forward to your shots.
12-01-2012, 01:37 PM   #139
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Excellent vid. Is that sound recorded by the Q or did you have a separate recorder? Very smooth (if understandably quick) on the panning -- you must have a rock-solid support. As much as the Q is great for extending reach with stills, I think it adds even more value to video.

12-01-2012, 01:43 PM   #140
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Hi baro-nite - that is just the Q internal microphone.
The sound is not of the GBH as it was too far, there are actually a couple of hundred ducks and geese all around me.
The sounds you hear are some of them trumpeting and the people who are feeding them.

I do enjoy taking video of the critters when I am shooting, I find it interesting to record their activities. The Q does a agreat job there.

I'm using a $80 chinese gimbal, so it is pretty steady but definitely not up to the build quality of the expensive ones.

http://r.ebay.com/YU9ate
12-01-2012, 01:59 PM   #141
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by crewl1 Quote
Caught some cormorants and pelicans sunning themselves at Legg Lake last week.
Great shots Larry! I'm especially enthralled by the Cormorants as I had a very rare visit by one here this past fall. The lighting on the second one is just right to bring out their colors and textures.

Also enjoyed the GBH video - I only ever see them when fishing in the water or flying - to see how "graceful" they are in a tree was great!
12-01-2012, 02:32 PM   #142
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Thanks Stan. I was surprised to see how much detail they actually have in their feathering. Next time I'll try to get closer to one.

It was also interesting to watch that big heavy bird walk around on those skinny branches.

One of the nice things about this setup is the opportunity to see nature doing its thing since you are usually far enough away to avoid the 'Human approaching! Everybody freeze!' behavior I am so used to.

12-01-2012, 03:28 PM   #143
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Great video crewl1. It is neat to see and photograph wildlife so far away. A totally different look than their "are they going to eat me?" look.

The Q has pretty good sound quality! Amazing, something so small can sound so full range. Impressive video.
thanks
barondla
12-01-2012, 04:00 PM   #144
Veteran Member

Hi crewl1,

Outstanding job on all!!!

It took me quite a while to work out how to effectively shoot black or white birds and not just get black or white blobs -- and that was with an APS-C DSLR. Your shots show how much better the Q is at capturing DR than most compact sensored cameras. I personally think it's the ability to use professional quality optics -- really maximizes the capabilities of the sensor..

Scott
12-01-2012, 06:43 PM   #145
Veteran Member

I wondered how far you can push the reach of the Q so these were taken with my Skywatcher 127 Muskatov Cassegrain telescope, 1500mm f4 equivalent to 8250mm f4

12-01-2012, 06:53 PM   #146
Veteran Member

Point it at the Moon and you get this

12-01-2012, 06:59 PM   #147
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by ChrisJ Quote
Skywatcher 127 Muskatov Cassegrain telescope, 1500mm f4
Wow, that is a serious optic, and amazing reach on the Q!
12-01-2012, 07:02 PM   #148
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Awesome, ChrisJ. You are really pushing the Q with that setup. Well done.
thanks
barondla
12-01-2012, 07:52 PM   #149
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Amazing stuff ChrisJ. Is that the sensor out-resolving the lens?
Looking at all the cloned out spots in the sky, something needs a clean
12-01-2012, 08:58 PM   #150
Veteran Member

Well it took me long enough, but I have a Q and Fotodiox adapter on the way.

All you guys in this thread and others have been really encouraging me to try this setup, but for some reason I hesitated for quite some time. I think this is going to suit me well since I have tons of wildlife right here at home, and am kind of physically restricted nowadays that doesn't allow any stalking or army crawling along the bank of the river to get the shots I want. I do 90% of my shooting from a stationary point now with a tripod, so I think this will be the ticket.

Since Larry has such awesome results with his DA* 300, I am hoping for the same with my FA* 300 4.5 which I think it will.

Kind of funny how I finally pulled the trigger. I spotted a Fotodiox adapter for sale here on the forum this evening, and bought it right away. I had been following the pricing during Black Friday weekend on the Q - just went over to Newegg and they had the kit with 02 zoom for $279 again.

On my way now - really psyched to get started - thanks guys!