Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-01-2012, 09:53 PM   #151
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by ChrisJ Quote
I wondered how far you can push the reach of the Q so these were taken with my Skywatcher 127 Muskatov Cassegrain telescope, 1500mm f4 equivalent to 8250mm f4
Whoah Chris that is some serious glass there, would love to see how you hooked it all together.

QuoteOriginally posted by stormtech Quote
Well it took me long enough, but I have a Q and Fotodiox adapter on the way.
Congrats Stan! I am sure it will get good use in your hands, look forward to the shots. Be sure to paint the inside of that adapter if the previous owner did not already.

QuoteOriginally posted by barondla Quote
Great video crewl1. It is neat to see and photograph wildlife so far away. A totally different look than their "are they going to eat me?" look. The Q has pretty good sound quality! Amazing, something so small can sound so full range. Impressive video. thanks barondla
Thanks for the kind words and inspiration barondla.

QuoteOriginally posted by snostorm Quote
Hi crewl1, Outstanding job on all!!! It took me quite a while to work out how to effectively shoot black or white birds and not just get black or white blobs -- and that was with an APS-C DSLR. Your shots show how much better the Q is at capturing DR than most compact sensored cameras. I personally think it's the ability to use professional quality optics -- really maximizes the capabilities of the sensor.. Scott
Appreciate the encouragement Scott and thanks for all the helpful advice.

12-02-2012, 05:29 AM   #152
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by ChrisJ Quote
I wondered how far you can push the reach of the Q so these were taken with my Skywatcher 127 Muskatov Cassegrain telescope, 1500mm f4 equivalent to 8250mm f4
f/12 actually, unless my googling got me some other 1500mm telescope with the same name. (And if you like to think in 135 terms for focal length, why not for aperture? Theoretical max resolution wise it's the same as f/66 on 135. Or f/22 if your f/4 number is correct.)
12-06-2012, 09:13 AM   #153
Loyal Site Supporter

Costa's Hummingbird (male)
DA*60-250 @ 250 on Pentax Q
Mild crop
12-06-2012, 09:43 AM   #154
Veteran Member

Nice hummingbird there Baro-nite. Was this one hand held or on a tripod?
Also, noticed your aperture reported F1, assume that is the adapter position? On my pictures I don't get an aperture output that Lightroom can find.

12-06-2012, 06:47 PM   #155
Loyal Site Supporter

Thanks Larry: this one was on a tripod (I was also doing video, which I'll get around to posting at some point). I think I get f/1 in the EXIF at any adapter aperture setting. This was probably wide open as that is what I have normally been doing with this lens so far.
12-07-2012, 05:17 PM   #156
Veteran Member

Larry (crewl1) was helping me out in another thread (300mm lens club) but I thought I should move our conversation to this thread as it seems more appropriate. I will be testing out the Q with aftermarket adapter tomorrow, and here is what Larry wrote:

QuoteOriginally posted by crewl1 Quote
Stan I look forward to your results. A couple of things that will help are:

Set the MF Assist to x4, it is in Camera menu 1, Focus Settings.

I leave focus peaking off when working with the long lenses as I can judge the edge better if I can see it cleanly without the focus peaking artifacts.

Set Power Saving to off (Wrench menu 2) so that the display will not dim when you are trying to focus.

To turn on the 4x assist hit the OK button, note that it will go back to full display if you press the shutter button.

One of the toughest things you will find is actually acquiring the target at 1650mm, that's why some of us use a red dot finder. Once it is in the frame though you should be golden.

Another thing, for best results with off brand adapters, paint the inside with flat black paint to eliminate reflections.
I jotted the tips which are great. I thought I would ask a couple other questions here so I might possibly avert any undue frustration.

I will be using the Q with aftermarket adapter with my FA* 300 4.5 lens. It is supposed to be raining/cold/gloomy for the next 4-5 days, so I will be test shooting in not the best light conditions.

I've read about the diffraction issue, and pretend to understand....just looking for some settings to get me started off on the right foot.

Should I start with the lens wide open (f4.5)? I usually shoot it at f5.6 on my K-5 for simply superb IQ but the light level will be quite bad.

I need to understand the ISO limits for a decent image - how high an ISO can I shoot and still get decent results.

I will be shooing on a good sturdy tripod, so will be able to afford some slower shutter speeds. Will also be using the 2 sec. timer. Does the SR turn off automatically when using the timer like the K-5?

Any other suggestions are more than welcome. I really want this setup to work and really wish I could have good light conditions for my testing. I just can't wait 4-5 days for the sun to come out to try this!
12-07-2012, 05:48 PM   #157
Veteran Member

Should I start with the lens wide open (f4.5)? I usually shoot it at f5.6 on my K-5 for simply superb IQ but the light level will be quite bad.
Experiment, but I suspect 5.6 will give you best results. My experience and that of others seems to be that the lens sweet spot is more important than the diffraction limit.
I run my DA*300 at 5.6 on the Q for good results,

I need to understand the ISO limits for a decent image - how high an ISO can I shoot and still get decent results.
On the Q I suggest using base ISO of 125. Rely on a good support system and the 2 sec delay or a IR remote to trigger the shot. Someone previously had recommendations along these lines in this or a related thread, their advice bears out in my experience. If you have really good noise reduction SW you can try higher I guess, I have not done that.

I will be shooing on a good sturdy tripod, so will be able to afford some slower shutter speeds. Will also be using the 2 sec. timer. Does the SR turn off automatically when using the timer like the K-5?
Yes, exactly like the K-5, isn't that great? The interface is so intuitive for us, that is one of the pluses. I was shooting with the K-5 and Q last night and my biggest problem was accidentally changing the shooting mode on the Q because I was so used to changing shutter speed with the front dial on the K-5 and didn't think I was using a different camera - DOH!

Maybe this will give you some encouragement for your Kingfisher shot, I believe this is a Dark-eyed Junco, on a tree across the street about 100 feet away plus a bit more since he is high up.
I missed the focus on the first, then got it on the second but he turned and flew away.
Anyway I just wanted to do this quickly to see how this would work on a smaller bird, since most of the birds I have been shooting at distance are large ones.
I did a little sharpening and clarity in LR4. I did not crop so you can see the resulting size of the bird at that distance.

My grandson with the assist, showing distance to tree. Bird was near the top branches.
12-07-2012, 06:55 PM   #158
Veteran Member

Very impressive Larry! Your Junko shots certainly give me hope.

Thanks for the additional tips. Yeah I know I need to experiment - that's half the fun. You've given me some good guidelines to start off with.

12-08-2012, 10:37 AM   #159
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by drougge Quote
f/12 actually, unless my googling got me some other 1500mm telescope with the same name. (And if you like to think in 135 terms for focal length, why not for aperture? Theoretical max resolution wise it's the same as f/66 on 135. Or f/22 if your f/4 number is correct.)
You are, of course, correct its 1500/127 = f11.81102362204724, or f12, sorry for the delay, just noticed this.
12-08-2012, 10:47 AM   #160
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by crewl1 Quote
Whoah Chris that is some serious glass there, would love to see how you hooked it all together.
Again sorry for the delay, coupling a Q to a scope is easy and cheap just a Q>C mount adapter and a C mount to 1.25 Inch tube coupler which just slips into the lens holder of the scope.

Can't believe the dust in these images.
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
DMC-GH2  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
DMC-GH2  Photo 
12-08-2012, 10:54 AM   #161
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
This thread has swayed me from considering a K-01 to getting a Q instead as my 'backup' come tax season. With focus peaking on the Q no, plus my ton of old manual lenses, I should have a decent setup for birding for far cheaper than the Sigma 50-500mm I was trying to rationalize.
12-08-2012, 12:10 PM   #162
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Sagitta Quote
This thread has swayed me from considering a K-01 to getting a Q instead as my 'backup' come tax season. With focus peaking on the Q no, plus my ton of old manual lenses, I should have a decent setup for birding for far cheaper than the Sigma 50-500mm I was trying to rationalize.
Just FYI with the Q at the great price - there seems to be only 1 vendor that has any at the $250 price now - kind of doubt you will get a Q kit for today's price a month or two from now. The next model (Q10) is now readily available so the Q is only available with those vendors who have remaining stock.

At any rate, this is exactly what I did - going to use the Q with my FA* 300 4.5 lens for those long distance bird shots. I bought the kit for $279 - could actually sell the 02 zoom kit lens for ~$200 so I have the body for $79 - can't beat that for 1650mm even though it will take some work with manual focus.
12-08-2012, 12:54 PM - 1 Like   #163
Veteran Member

Thought I would add my initial thoughts and results here instead of starting a new thread since my only purpose for the Q is for the "reach" of the Q.

First impression - out of the box and in my hand, it feels like such a good quality instrument. The only small cameras I have handled before were the Fuji X10 and X100, so the bar is set pretty high in the regard of build quality. The Q definitely stands up to both the Fuji cameras. Feels good in the hand, and buttons/knobs feel very good. Impressed with that, but I kind of knew that going in from all the reviews here already.

Yes, it's small. Actually I usually struggle with holding any of these small cameras due to big hands that don't work most of the time due to RA. Maybe it is just my initial infatuation, but the little thing actually feels comfortable in my hands. My wife walked in the room as I was installing the lens for the first time - "Oh my God that is cute!" were her words. I explained to her the possibilities with the adapter and the lenses we already own, and she was quite impressed - especially for the price!

So today was initial testing day with the adapter. I bought a used Fotodiox adapter from a member here in the Marketplace in perfect condition. I however did not paint the interior yet as I wanted to do some testing first, and in case I wanted to abandon to whole deal I wanted it in virgin condition in case I would have to sell it.

Mounted my aftermarket tripod ring/foot on my FA*300 4.5 and was ready to go. Of course it is raining on and off today but did get a chance in between showers to get outside for a few shots. The light was terrible - light that I would never attempt to take any decent pics normally - but I had to try it out.

Thanks to Larry, I followed his tips on the in initial setup which worked out great. I am a person who gets easily frustrated when I can't get results right away, so this was key in getting a couple successful images right from the get-go. I also didn't attempt any wildlife shots - just chose a few static subjects like I normally do when I get a new lens to test out. These images will be ultimately boring to everyone, but for me these are the shots I use to compare what the camera/lens can actually achieve without too much of any operator error. For comparison sake, I also did the exact same shots with my Fuji X-S1 which is also a small sensor camera but with a long fixed zoom lens. My intent here was to crop the Fuji images to the same size as the native image I got with the Q/300mm. The result from that part of my test was that of course the Q images blew away the cropped Fuji - but I kind of knew that when you are cropping a 624mm equivalent image to the size of a 1650mm uncropped image.

Manual focusing wasn't bad at all, but I did not have any bright sun to interfere today. I tried it without zooming the display, zooming 4x, and with both focus peaking on and off. Actually I was quite surprised that I did very well with the standard size image on the display without the focus peaking.

First image is my regular test subject at a distance of ~50' (15m)

Next image was the real test. There is a small building across the river from me. This is the distance where that freakin'' elusive Kingfisher hangs out. This part of the test is critical for me as I will someday get that little bugger who laughs at me everyday......distance ~350' (100m) - I focused on the knot in the wood at the center of the frame

And to check the detail of the small sensor, the only text I could find as an example from my shooting position. ~100' (30m)

The Q? Yes it's a keeper!

Last edited by photolady95; 04-17-2016 at 02:09 AM.
12-08-2012, 01:52 PM   #164
Veteran Member

Way to go Stan, looks like the FA*300 is a winner on the Q. The Kingfisher should abandon all hope now.
I look forward to your critter shots when the weather improves
12-08-2012, 02:17 PM   #165
Pentaxian

Next image was the real test. There is a small building across the river from me. This is the distance where that freakin'' elusive Kingfisher hangs out. This part of the test is critical for me as I will someday get that little bugger who laughs at me everyday......distance ~350' (100m) - I focused on the knot in the wood at the center of the frame

The Q? Yes it's a keeper!
Hi stormtech,

I don't find your initial tests boring -- you should see the junk shots that I use to test my lenses (and practice) out of season!

I have to chuckle every time you mention the Kingfisher that has been taunting you. I'm guessing that the next opportunity you have to shoot the "freakin' elusive Kingfisher" now that you have the Q will be that he will fly up and sit on your porch about 5 feet away while you scramble to mount a wide angle on your camera to shoot him -- then he'll fly off cackling just before you can get the camera up to your eye -- they're like that -- they know how to tease and frustrate photographers -- and obviously do this on purpose! The first time I ever spotted one, I chased it around a small lake for 2 hours, and every time I got close enough to get a shot, he took off for the next tree that was just out of range. . . and so on . . . and so on. . .
After over a year of similar attempts -- I was standing at a nearby small lake shooting a Great Blue Heron, and this guy flew up and landed about 20 feet away. . .

He gave me about 5 seconds to get a few shots, then took off for a better vantage point -- for him that is. . . that was over 5 years ago, and I doubt that I'll get another chance this good unless I set up a hide. . .

But whenever I hear that cackle, I stop and wait a while, even if there's nothing much to shoot, hoping that one of these guys will give me another chance. . .plus now I have a Q -- and can shoot at a longer range. . .

Congrats on getting a Q -- I think it will become an important addition to your kit. . . and good luck with that Kingfisher. . .

Scott