Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-15-2012, 12:05 AM   #181
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Wow Scott I'm really short-cutting compared to your process.
I appreciate the detailed description, I'll try to incorporate your tips.
Thanks very much.

12-15-2012, 07:29 AM   #182
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
I never thought of downsizing in steps - I always assumed I'd just lose more data that way. I'll have to give that trick a try myself.
12-15-2012, 07:32 AM   #183
Site Supporter

+1 about loosing data and giving it a try...
12-15-2012, 04:15 PM   #184
Veteran Member

What to do.....too cold outside to spend time shooting.....not much going on today.....so why not try the Q with a couple different lenses inside where it's nice and warm.....

Last edited by photolady95; 04-17-2016 at 02:12 AM.
12-15-2012, 04:46 PM   #185
Pentaxian

Hi Stan,

What a sweet setup!!!

I noticed that it looks like you added a branch on the railing next to the stairs to give the birds a place to stage while waiting their turn at the feeders. It might be fruitful to also add a few to the frame above the feeders, especially one where you can use the evergreen or the hill in the distance as a background instead of the sky.

Do birds even notice you if the doors are closed and you're not backlit by lights in the room?

Scott
12-15-2012, 05:46 PM - 1 Like   #186
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by snostorm Quote
Hi Stan,

What a sweet setup!!!

I noticed that it looks like you added a branch on the railing next to the stairs to give the birds a place to stage while waiting their turn at the feeders. It might be fruitful to also add a few to the frame above the feeders, especially one where you can use the evergreen or the hill in the distance as a background instead of the sky.

Do birds even notice you if the doors are closed and you're not backlit by lights in the room?

Scott
Thanks Scott - it's a work in progress.

I'm still experimenting with the placement of the sticks and branches to get a good background. Actually if I put anything on the rail above and holding the feeders I end up with too much sky in the background - hard to tell by these photos since they were taken back into the room a ways. In the first photo to the left of the squirrel feeder are a couple branches that give me a good background. Since I can't stand for long, I have my tripod at about half height and sit on the stool in the second photo. With the camera at this level I am shooting fairly straight on to those branches.

There is enough refection on the outside of the glass door that they don't see us at all and this has been great for our long winters. This is the first year I am placing some props for their staging and it has been working quite well. I just hate taking photos with the feeders in the image.

I am just now starting to sort though my photos taken today. I shot directly at the feeders for testing purposes since I was using a manual focus lens and getting used to the setup getting the right tension on the ball head etc. Was using the D FA 100 WR which gave me a little bit too much magnification. But, the first thing I noticed with the Q setup like this, is that it seems to be not as forgiving shooting through the glass as my other lenses on the K-5. I will post some examples tomorrow, but the images look to be a bit washed out. I am thinking that this may be since I have not yet painted the interior of the JJC adapter - more on that when I process the images and post some examples.
12-15-2012, 09:17 PM - 1 Like   #187
Veteran Member

OK - went through my test images from today - not too shabby for shooting through double pane glass and manually focusing.

Shots were with the aftermarket JJC adapter with D FA 100 WR lens. The first shot was wide open (f2.8), and the second two were 2 clicks stopped down (estimated f5.6). ISO set at 125 and let the shutter speed float for exposure. Shot dng and processed with Silkypix Developer Studio with all settings at default. I'm sure these images could be improved some with more PP work, but wanted a base line for comparison sake with other lenses etc. I did do my standard light sharpening while resizing for the web. All shot tripod mounted but can't remember if I used the wireless remote or not as I was switching back and forth.

I feel the 2nd 2 shots @f5.6 are much better than the 1st one wide open @f2.8

Last edited by photolady95; 04-17-2016 at 02:12 AM.
12-15-2012, 10:09 PM   #188
Veteran Member

Great results Stan. That is one diminutive 550mm setup The 5.6 versions do appear to have better contrast.
On the 2.8 shot its possible painting the adapter could help a bit.

12-15-2012, 11:14 PM   #189
Pentaxian

Hi Stan,

I think they're great results also. Consider the shutter speeds in #s 2&3 -- 1/60 and 1/50 respectively -- getting that level of feather detail is pretty tough unless you're shooting taxidermy specimens -- and this was through two layers of window glass.

Scott
12-16-2012, 07:31 AM   #190
Veteran Member

Thanks Larry and Scott - I'm pretty impressed with the Q at this point myself!

I'm still in experimental stage - this is all leading up to getting everything right by next Spring when I can shoot down by the river with the FA* 300 4.5.

Yeah, the shutter speed was quite low for birding, but I wanted to keep the ISO @125 for the purposes of seeing what the base ISO is capable of before venturing higher. Being a small sensor, I don't have a lot of faith in going high ISO like my K-5. Now that I have a base for comparison, each time I test again now, I am going to gradually increase the ISO until I find the limit that I can tolerate. As I do this I also will be using different software to see which one works best with the raw noise produced as the ISO gets higher. That is also why I used the Pentax Developer Studio with these shots as a base line for that. Actually, I think it did quite well with these images. I did process these also in Acdsee Pro 6 with a base preset I use for the Q and the results were very similar.

Fun stuff to help me get through the short cold days of winter!
12-16-2012, 09:32 AM   #191

My first day out with the Q

Hi, so i went out for the first time with my Pentax Q, Fotodiox Adapter, Screen Loupe and a Nikon ED 300 f4.5 IF Manual focus lens, first impressions: The reach is very welcome although i am not sure if i am getting infinity focus, my Reddot Sight was shipped to my mother in law so i will try that out next weekend, but finding anything without it did prove not to be an easy task.
I was using the setup mounted on a Benro travel flat tripod, along with a K5 and a Sigma 150-500 OS HSM, carrying the whole setup was a bit cumbersome but i did take Q out a few times, on one occasion we spotted an owl about 50 Meters away on a branch, so i quickly set up everything but then needed 1-2 minutes to locate the bird, when i finally got it in view it flew away !!! so i only took some pics of some ducks (about 30 meters away) and a short video. I had to remove a lot of chromatic aberrations from the shot (green, red, magenta). Will try out my FA*300 f4.5 next (my wife uses it when we go birding together... hence my purchase of the Nikon 300 ED IF

IMGP0084.jpg | Flickr - Photo Sharing!
12-16-2012, 10:16 AM   #192
Veteran Member

Great work mgbirder.
I also have trouble acquiring on small or distant subjects without the red dot, it really helps.
Most times I don't even switch it on, just put the critter in the center and I'm there.
What aperture did you use on the ducks?
You can try stopping down a little bit to see where IQ is best, no need to keep the lens wide open if you did.
I read elsewhere the Nikon does have a tendency for red green aberrations and is sharpest at 5.6 - 8.
Also if your adapter uses the semi gloss finish internally it may help to paint it flat black.
12-16-2012, 11:16 AM   #193
Pentaxian

Himgbirder,

It's a start!!

One thing that might help until you get a RDS, try sighting with your strong eye behind the flash shoe and try to center the top of the lens on your subject. This should align you horizontally, You can usually get a rough focus, and then all you need to do is pan vertically, locate your subject and critical focus. It's not as good as using a RDS since with one, you can usually get the subject in the LCD first try. Stopping down first can also help with focusing if there;s enough light. Most long teles are a bit softer and have less contrast wide open, so stopped down a bit, Focus Peaking can work a bit better. I'd also suggest the flat paint for the interior -- increasing contrast by reducing flare certainly can't hurt.

Scott
12-16-2012, 04:03 PM   #194

Thanks Scott and Larry, i think i will take out just the Q to do birding one day, having to control both cameras was a bit difficult. I did take the shot with an fully open aperture, simply didn't think about stopping down... and i will definitely paint the interior of the adapter as well. I have done a bit of digiscoping also and find that with the Q it is much easier to get good images. I will definitely put more effort into dominating the Q :-) For those who take video also, what settings do you normally use?
12-16-2012, 07:53 PM   #195
Veteran Member

I've done a little video with the Q and adapted lenses, but not enough to have worked out the optimal settings.

I do find setting the ISO manually along with shutter speed helps keep sunny shots from getting blown out as the Q tends to want to brighten up the image on its own, otherwise.

I think the last few I did were with Full HD, Exposure setting - Manual, Movie SR - On.