Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 179 Likes Search this Thread
12-17-2012, 06:35 PM   #211
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
It looks like I'll finally be joining the club soon. B&H just notified me they had the Pentax Q-K adaptor back in stock. Order placed.
Good times!

12-17-2012, 07:06 PM   #212
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Congratulations. You will love it. So much fun.
thanks
barondla
12-17-2012, 07:37 PM   #213
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Sandy Hancock Quote
It looks like I'll finally be joining the club soon. B&H just notified me they had the Pentax Q-K adaptor back in stock. Order placed.
Good times!
Congrats!!!
12-17-2012, 09:10 PM   #214
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Sandy Hancock Quote
Good times!
Enjoy, adapted lenses just add more fun to the Q.

Hans

12-19-2012, 04:19 PM - 2 Likes   #215
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Pentax Q +DA*300

Last edited by crewl1; 12-19-2012 at 05:36 PM.
12-19-2012, 04:24 PM   #216
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Looks good!
12-19-2012, 04:43 PM   #217
Veteran Member

Hi Larry,

Nice!!!

We don't get Snowy Egrets up here, but I often see Great Egrets. Most times they are across a stretch of water though, and there's no way for me to get close -- That's why I wanted the extraordinary reach that the Q offers. I just don't see how an extreme crop of an APS-C shot would be able to capture some of the fine detail you've gotten here. For me, that's what it's all about. . .

Scott

12-19-2012, 05:14 PM   #218
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by crewl1 Quote
Pentax Q +DA*300

Impressive Larry! Not only the IQ, but I am constantly amazed by this little sensor in getting the colors right - and it looks like none of the highlights were blown which is tough on a white subject.

Great work!
12-19-2012, 05:25 PM   #219
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by VisualDarkness Quote
Looks good!
Thanks!

QuoteOriginally posted by snostorm Quote
Hi Larry, Nice!!! We don't get Snowy Egrets up here, but I often see Great Egrets. Most times they are across a stretch of water though, and there's no way for me to get close -- That's why I wanted the extraordinary reach that the Q offers. I just don't see how an extreme crop of an APS-C shot would be able to capture some of the fine detail you've gotten here. For me, that's what it's all about. . . Scott
Thanks Scott. The Snowys are very common around here. When I finally saw a Great I was a bit shocked because it was so big. I'm happy with the detail the Q can get, no complaints. Look forward to your shots of the Greats.

QuoteOriginally posted by stormtech Quote
mpressive Larry! Not only the IQ, but I am constantly amazed by this little sensor in getting the colors right - and it looks like none of the highlights were blown which is tough on a white subject. Great work!
Thanks Stan. I never have to worry about the colors out of the Q, it does a great job. On the white birds I try to follow advice I read here to underexpose a bit, In this case I don't think I had it dialed down enough but the Q did OK.
12-19-2012, 06:01 PM   #220
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Wonderful image crewl1. You are getting the max out of the Q! Super sharp with great exposure. Haven't seen a camera crop match this.

A pro bird photographer gave me a tip on photographing white birds in the sun. He usually uses a polarizer. Have one to fit the Pentax DA*300 now. Can't wait to try it.
thanks
barondla
12-19-2012, 09:32 PM   #221
Veteran Member

Looks great Larry, Can't wait to play with the Q in Florida come January, plenty of Snowys, Greats and quite a few GBH. I learned to expose white birds last year and now I won't be doing much cropping. I made my choice, rent a condo with sun or get a DA*300, Condo won, We will have to see how the 135 & Tamron 70-300 do. My 55-300 is stuck on the Kr.

Hans
12-19-2012, 09:55 PM   #222
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Nice!
12-19-2012, 10:43 PM   #223
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by LaurenOE Quote
Nice!
Thanks!

QuoteOriginally posted by hnikesch Quote
Looks great Larry, Can't wait to play with the Q in Florida come January, plenty of Snowys, Greats and quite a few GBH.
Should be a fun trip, condo trumps a lens! I have to try my Tamron on the Q, I havent given it much of a chance yet.

QuoteOriginally posted by barondla Quote
Wonderful image crewl1. You are getting the max out of the Q! Super sharp with great exposure. Haven't seen a camera crop match this.
Thanks Barondla, much appreciated.
12-20-2012, 03:41 PM - 1 Like   #224
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

The Whittier Narrows wildlife sanctuary connects to the San Gabriel River and is a pocket of nature in an otherwise urban environment.
I made a trip over there yesterday and today with the Q and the DA*300 and was happy to find in area a small flock of Snowy Egrets, some GBH, a couple of Great Egrets, Killdeer, a Belted Kingfisher that must have thought I was hilarious, and the biggest surprise, a Black Crowned Night Heron.

In my excitement to start shooting I stupidly forgot to check the aperture setting on the adapter and didn't realize it was set wide open at 0, whereas the DA*300 is best at 1 (5.6) on the Q.
I'll post a couple of shots here just to prove I'm not making things up, but I intend to go back and make things right.

I'm new to birding so have a lot to learn. For one thing I wanted to get a position where the sun would be at my back, but with the low sun and high banks of the man made river, I cast a long shadow on the inlet and spooked the birds.

The Great Egrets were super skittish and flew away almost immediately, and trying to shoot the Kingfisher was a failure. It would only sit for a second to point and laugh, then off it went The Snowy's seemed almost friendly, and the GBH's kept a respectable distance but did stand still for a portrait. I'd never seen Killdeer up close either.

Sorry about the shaky start.

This is how the spot looks, I have no idea where I am focused Tamron 70-300 on K-5

Last edited by crewl1; 12-20-2012 at 03:57 PM.
12-20-2012, 04:07 PM   #225
Veteran Member

Impressive shots Larry - it's killing me to have to wait another 4 months before I can get some wildlife shots.

The Killdeer is nice and sharp - we have quite a few around here but you will only find them in large open gravel lot type areas.

and.....

QuoteQuote:
and trying to shoot the Kingfisher was a failure. It would only sit for a second to point and laugh, then off it went
Makes me feel better that I am not the only one they laugh at!