Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-20-2012, 04:10 PM   #226
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by stormtech Quote
Makes me feel better that I am not the only one they laugh at!
Yes when I saw it doing that it so much reminded me of your story

12-20-2012, 04:50 PM   #227

I will have to check out that area Crewl1! I have been shooting wildlife mostly in parks within LA and also on a couple piers.
12-20-2012, 05:12 PM   #228
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by MarinatedHerring Quote
I will have to check out that area Crewl1! I have been shooting wildlife mostly in parks within LA and also on a couple piers.
Didn't know you were a local. Join the California Users group to be notified of our next So Cal meetup.
We try to coordinate them with the World Pentax Day event sometime in February.
12-20-2012, 06:45 PM   #229
Veteran Member

Hi Larry,

Some more nice work!!!

What a great place -- except for the rookeries around here, I don't think I've ever seen more than two of these at any of the small lakes nearby -- not including the Killdeer -- they like to be around friends. Now I'm doubly jealous -- a great place for Herons and weather that allows you to actually go out and shoot!

I'm convinced the Kingfishers are devils -- and the Killdeer aren't much better -- but at least they're subtle -- they only let you get so close -- maybe 30-40 feet away, then they casually start walking the other way, keeping their distance -- and they don't cackle like the KF taunting you. . . but they're probably smirking to themselves. . .and make jokes about you behind your back. ..

Scott

12-20-2012, 07:20 PM   #230
Veteran Member

The Killdeer that I am accustomed to around here will actually challenge you if they have a nest nearby (spring/early summer). The will fake it like they have a broken wing and stumble around in front of you to get your attention and draw you away from the nest. Pretty funny when I was a heavy equipment operator - to see a Killdeer challenge a 30 ton front end loader!
12-20-2012, 07:36 PM   #231
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
I like the series Larry , looks like a great place to shoot and you got some great shots, I know your pain with Kingfishers

Hans
12-21-2012, 05:07 PM   #232
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by stormtech Quote
The Killdeer that I am accustomed to around here will actually challenge you if they have a nest nearby (spring/early summer). The will fake it like they have a broken wing and stumble around in front of you to get your attention and draw you away from the nest. Pretty funny when I was a heavy equipment operator - to see a Killdeer challenge a 30 ton front end loader!
That would be something to see !

QuoteOriginally posted by snostorm Quote
I'm convinced the Kingfishers are devils -- and the Killdeer aren't much better -- but at least they're subtle -- they only let you get so close -- maybe 30-40 feet away, then they casually start walking the other way, keeping their distance -- and they don't cackle like the KF taunting you. . . but they're probably smirking to themselves. . .and make jokes about you behind your back. ..
Ha Ha - may be true - I haven't run into many of them so hopefully they haven't formed an opinion

12-21-2012, 05:08 PM   #233
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by hnikesch Quote
I like the series Larry , looks like a great place to shoot and you got some great shots, I know your pain with Kingfishers
Hans
Thanks Hans, for the moral support
12-21-2012, 05:25 PM   #234
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

So I couldnt resist the deal on the Sigma 50-500 and it arrived today.

I'm planning to use it mainly for school sports, but of course I had to try it on the Q to see what it could do.

It actually performed better than I expected on the Q, from what I recall from using the 170-500 on my K-5 this lens is sharper.

These are some shots from today's backyard test, I will try to take it out soon for some field testing.

The target with Prime 01

At 500mm straight from camera, set at '1' aperture for f8(?)

With a little PP

At 300 straight from camera

DA*300 for comparison

Wide open the Bigma shows some purple fringe on the Q, which is a bummer because you can see the obvious effects of diffraction once you close it down a bit to eliminate the fringe.

Nothing I've tried yet beats the DA*300, but the Bigma is definitely usable and it is nice to be able to go from EQ 275mm to 2750mm without having to change lenses.

Last edited by crewl1; 12-21-2012 at 05:39 PM.
12-21-2012, 05:35 PM   #235
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by crewl1 Quote
So I couldn't resist the deal on the Sigma 50-500 and it arrived today.

I'm planning to use it mainly for school sports, but of course I had to try it on the Q to see what it could do.

It actually performed better than I expected on the Q, from what I recall from using the 170-500 on my K-5 this lens is sharper.

These are some shots from today's backyard test, I will try to take it out soon for some field testing.
Very impressive Larry! I am kind of surprised that the Bigma holds its own against the DA*. These Q images with adapted lenses continue to amaze me.

And to add - when I saw you pulled the trigger on the Bigma, one of my first thoughts was how long it would take you to try it on the Q. Now I am wondering if you tried this first or on your K-5.........
12-21-2012, 05:36 PM   #236
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
I looks like diffraction is the limiting factor rather than resolution on that 500 shot, but still much better than I thought!
Next up the Sigma 500/4?
12-21-2012, 06:15 PM   #237
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Stan I tried it on the k5 first where I found this lens is a huge improvement over my old 170-500.

VisualD there is a lot more detail when I open it all the way, but the fringe becomes excessive.
I don't plan to go for a 500mm prime as I don't have enough use for it, but I wouldn't turn it down if someone gave me one
12-21-2012, 06:59 PM   #238
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Do you have an example of the fringing? Maybe the fringing is quite correctable.
12-21-2012, 07:15 PM   #239
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I don't have any at 500mm, only at 50mm.

Once I saw it I closed the adapter and took the other shots at the '1' position.

I can get some 500mm shots tomorrow, for now these are 100% crops (+-) of the 50mm images.

Note more detail in the purple ones, and how blurry they get when I go to '1' setting.

12-21-2012, 09:37 PM - 1 Like   #240

Hi, i haven't had time to go out and look for wildlife but i did shoot the moon tonight, this time with the Fa* 300 f4.5 at f8.0. I LOVE the reach!
End of Earth Moon - 21.12.12 | Flickr - Photo Sharing!