Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-07-2012, 06:07 PM   #16
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Original Poster
Great capture panoguy! Just too darn funny. Love it.
thanks
barondla

09-07-2012, 06:24 PM   #17
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Once the dust settles from Photokina I am pretty certain a Q/Q10 + P-Q adaptor will be the next additions to my kit.
Compact, fast ultra telephoto is a lot more attractive to me than lugging a 500mm lens around. FA*85/1.4 anyone?
09-25-2012, 11:13 AM   #18
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Holy smokes! Who needs the DA560 @ $7000 ? Thanks Barondla and the rest of you for enlightening me

Pentax 550mm prime = DFA100WR + Q

I found with this combo, focus is critical as the 100 can show purple fringing if focus is not dead on. Images need clarity and a bit of sharpen adjustment.
I used one click of stop down on the Fotodiox adapter, not sure what the exact resulting f-stop is but figured it seemed to give the best results.
The Tele-wide viewer helps as a centered object is in frame.
Used 2 sec delay on a lightweight tripod and ballhead, forgot to turn off SR but I think it is disabled anyway.

Pentax 1650mm Prime = DA*300 + Q

This is the ticket for long range shots, as already proven by others.
The DA*300 is such a perfect lens for this setup, its controlled behavior makes it easy to focus and has no bad tendencies for CA.
I used minimal clarity and sharpen adjustments.
The Tele-wide is useless here, it is blocked by the hood of the 300. Will need to look into a red dot setup.

Can't wait to get out and try these in the field, I am pumped!
09-25-2012, 01:10 PM   #19
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Crewl1, glad you are enjoying the Q. It has so many capabilities and is so much fun to use. It is also very addictive.

You are correct about the 100 macro and DA*300. The 300 has the least amount of ca of any tele I have tried. Would love to get some feedback from Pentax DA*200 2.8 users. Sometimes 300 is too much.

Great images crewl1. The Q greatly rewards work and practice. Lets see some more pictures.

My favorite red dot scope is the Pentax RD10. It is weather sealed, shows LED power setting from camera, back, has those stringy connected lens caps that are clear - so you can use red dot without removing them, and its a Pentax. Wish Pentax made an adapter from red dot ( Weaver rails) and hotshoe. Still have to buy 3rd party adapter. Thanks to snostorm for the heads up.

If Pentax doesn't bundle the Q10, DA*300, red dot scope, and Q2K adapter in a wildlife package they are missing a chance to hit the other companies hard. Many birders aren't even worried about manual focus since they are using it with their digiscoping rigs. Advertise it in all the birding, nature, and wildlife mags/websites. Have hope they are considering it. My setup on the Pentax facebook page got hundreds of likes and Pentax posted it again recently with their adapter announcement.

The Q is the future. Enjoy being on the cutting edge.
thanks
barondla

09-25-2012, 01:30 PM   #20
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Thanks Barondla. I tried my Sigma 70-200 but for my uses the primes really are required. I hadn't considered a DA*200 until now.

By the way, I tried my DA70 Limited on this setup and it is absolutely fantastic for a tiny 385mm solution. IQ was right up there with the Prime 01

These are some tests I did hand held with Fotodiox adapter:

Prime 01 -47mm equivalent

DA40 LTD - 220mm equivalent

DA70 LTD - 385mm equivalent
09-25-2012, 09:17 PM   #21
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Wow these are great. Your handholding skills are incredible. The 70 is a very sharp lens. Makes a neat telephoto system with the Q. For ultra tele photography buy the Pentax weaterproof wireless remote. It has much greater range, than remote F, when used with camera rear receiver. It allows hand free "mirror lockup" shooting without the hasseles. There is 0% vibration from the electronic shutter.
thanks
barondla
09-26-2012, 04:55 AM   #22
Veteran Member

Wow, you guys are starting to get my attention with that Q camera... I just watched a complete 20+ pages thread of pictures and now this one...I must say I'm impressed! Will have to start getting more information at my camera store...

09-26-2012, 11:58 AM   #23
JHD
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by mamethot Quote
Wow, you guys are starting to get my attention with that Q camera... I just watched a complete 20+ pages thread of pictures and now this one...I must say I'm impressed! Will have to start getting more information at my camera store...
Just buy it - the original Q while you still can - you can't go wrong; and you own a very unique piece of photographic history.
09-26-2012, 01:13 PM   #24
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by JHD Quote
Just buy it - the original Q while you still can - you can't go wrong; and you own a very unique piece of photographic history.
And Q10? Sure at 379$ (w 01 lens) Q is tempting but for 599 I would get the Q10 w/5-15 zoom.

I think I'll go with the Q + 03 lense... Oh man do I love to take these decisions lol
09-26-2012, 02:57 PM - 1 Like   #25
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Took the Q out to try some shots in the field.
I couldnt get any birds to sit still long enough for me to acquire and focus. This will take some practice.

I switched over to some smaller critters though, so here are some samples of the 'reach of the Q'

Here is a small butterfly just over an inch wide with the DFA100 on K-5 from about 3 feet (spook distance)

With DA*300 on K-5 from similar distance

With Q and DFA100, hand held so kept the shutter speed up, same distance

Pushing in a little bit closer, this is not a crop

On a bright day it is easy to hand hold as shutter speed over 1/1000 is no problem with this setup so lack of SR not much of an issue.

Couple of other little critters
Small dragonfly from 6 feet

Tiny hopper (1.5") from a couple of feet away
09-26-2012, 03:03 PM   #26
Veteran Member

Okay, that's it. I'm ordering my K-mount-to-Q converter this weekend. But Pentax or Fotodiox?
09-26-2012, 03:11 PM   #27
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I don't think the Pentax is available yet, so I bought the Fotodiox to hold me over until it is released.

This one works for me for now, I may wait for the Pentax version as a Christmas present for myself.

I do see the 'jelly effect' when I do the hand held shots and I or the subject moves, so the shutter will be a nice upgrade.

This is taken with the DFA100 and Fotodiox hand held at 1/1600 sec, but the wind was blowing the little flower around so the the wiggle is evident. (Couldn't have been my shaky hands, oh no )

Last edited by crewl1; 09-26-2012 at 03:21 PM.
09-26-2012, 09:44 PM   #28
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Cool macros crewl1. You are having better luck than I with hand holding the 100 macro. I must practice more. Post more images when you get the chance.

mamethot, do as Jhd says. Buy the Q. Not sure I would trade the 01 prime for the zoom. f1.9 gets me out of many problems. At the moment you can't buy the 01 prime seperately in the USA.

Jhd is correct the Q will be a classic.
thanks
barondla
09-27-2012, 03:39 AM   #29
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Although I have pre-ordered the Q-10, I have also bought a Q just to secure the 01 prime. As a bonus I also get a spare camera!
I'm going to wait for the Pentax K-Q adaptor, but I'm really looking forward to it.
09-27-2012, 09:48 AM   #30
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

After my testing with the DFA100 yesterday and having to deal with the purple fringing I am going to try the Sigma 70-200 some more today.

The range is convenient because you can get the equivalent of 385mm to 1100mm from one lens and it does not have a tendency to show CA.

I do think the DA*300 can't be beat for sharpness, but was a little disappointed in the DFA100 for long range IQ on the Q. For macro it is excellent.

I'll take the Sigma out today to see how it does. The shots below of the statue are same position as the ones of the DA*300 and DFA100 earlier in this thread above.

The Tele-Wide is useful as it is not entirely blocked, but the Red Dot is now on order

I did not have to do any purple correction as with the DFA100 on any of these, with the DFA100 the blown out leaves were a mess of purple fringe.
Slight clarity and sharpen in LR on all the shots below.
@ 70mm (385mm eq)

@100mm (550mm eq)

@200mm (1100mm eq)