Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 179 Likes Search this Thread
01-05-2013, 01:43 PM   #301

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Hi i just finished a brick wall test with the Bigmos and the Tamron 70/200 f2,8 - Using a flat black painted Fotodiox adapter.
With the Sigma it took 1 to 2 stops (1 being no click at all) to get a sharp image, with a tendency to needing more stopping down after reaching 400mm (2 stops) and 2-3 Stops at 500mm.
The Tamron behaved similarly , needing 2 stops at all focal lengths.
I also tried out the Tamron 1.4 TC and the Promaster 1.7 TC - both needed 2 stops to achieve best focus. And than i tried them both out by stacking them - in that case i needed 3 stops.
What i also noted is that after 4 to 5 Stops on both lenses at any focal length Focus Peaking got confused.

01-05-2013, 02:39 PM   #302
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Have you also tried focus just using the 4x assist?
I find it more helpful than peaking on telephoto shots.
01-05-2013, 02:45 PM   #303

QuoteOriginally posted by crewl1 Quote
Have you also tried focus just using the 4x assist?
I find it more helpful than peaking on telephoto shots.
Yes 4x focus assist with focus peaking
01-05-2013, 03:03 PM   #304
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I had high hopes for the Tamron vs my Sigma 70-200 2.8, since everyone says the Tamron is sharp wide open - I was hoping it would be usable wide open on the Q as well.
I look forward to your samples.
Please add a review to the reference lens thread when you get done with your testing.

01-05-2013, 04:57 PM   #305

QuoteOriginally posted by crewl1 Quote
I had high hopes for the Tamron vs my Sigma 70-200 2.8, since everyone says the Tamron is sharp wide open - I was hoping it would be usable wide open on the Q as well.
I hoped that too, but i will do another series when i have a chance, under more controlled conditions (the brickwall test was done outside with changing light conditions)
01-05-2013, 05:39 PM - 1 Like   #306
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Hello-
I'm a long time lurker and first time poster. As an owner of a k10, k5 and k-01, I was inspired to get a q because of this post. I appreciate all of the q tips from Snostorm
and all of the other q masters around here. Here is my first attempt at q super telephoto. I used the fotodiox adaptor with aperture control and the Pentax da18-250. They
were taken from inside my kitchen through the sliding glass door. I just yesterday got the da55-300 and am looking forward to using that. With all of the sage advice from
you I am looking forward to improving my skills. Thanks.
Attached Images

01-05-2013, 06:20 PM   #307
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by mepaca Quote
I used the fotodiox adaptor with aperture control and the Pentax da18-250
Welcome! Pretty impressive for a superzoom, through a window, and I think you're actually focused a bit behind the bird.

01-05-2013, 06:36 PM   #308
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by baro-nite Quote
I think you're actually focused a bit behind the bird.
I think you are right. I was trying to hurry before he flew off and was a bit nervous because
this is new to me. I should have used focus assist. I find that the peaking feature isn't as
powerful as my k-01
01-05-2013, 07:11 PM   #309
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by mepaca Quote
I find that the peaking feature isn't as powerful as my k-01
No, the white dots aren't always easy to separate from the actual subject, especially with birds. At crewl1's suggestion I've been trying more with 4x magnification and no peaking.
01-05-2013, 07:32 PM   #310
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by baro-nite Quote
No, the white dots aren't always easy to separate from the actual subject, especially with birds. At crewl1's suggestion I've been trying more with 4x magnification and no peaking.
While I've only used my long lenses on the Q a couple times, so far I am much more comfortable and successful with the magnification vs. the focus peaking. And this comes for a person who has a very hard time with MF lenses on my K-5.
01-05-2013, 07:43 PM   #311

QuoteOriginally posted by stormtech Quote
While I've only used my long lenses on the Q a couple times, so far I am much more comfortable and successful with the magnification vs. the focus peaking. And this comes for a person who has a very hard time with MF lenses on my K-5.
Interesting, up to now i always thought that peaking and focus assist were not independent from each other, i will turn off focus peaking in my next tests.
01-05-2013, 07:55 PM   #312
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Have you guys tried the "over/under exposure warning" with the peaking? Is it just me or do the peaking highlight blink in red if you expose bright enough? I had the birds blinking in red when in focus when shooting, making it easy to see focus.
01-05-2013, 08:50 PM   #313

I just redid the test with the Tamron 70-200 f2.8 (flat black painted Fotodiox Adapter), in my study with flourescent light using a paper with text on a cork board, from about 2 meters away, this time i used only focus assist, according to this test i would say the Tamron is sharp wide open from 70mm to 135mm and needs 1 click at 200mm.
01-05-2013, 08:52 PM   #314
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by VisualDarkness Quote
Have you guys tried the "over/under exposure warning" with the peaking? Is it just me or do the peaking highlight blink in red if you expose bright enough? I had the birds blinking in red when in focus when shooting, making it easy to see focus.
That sounds interesting, something I am going to try

Hans
01-06-2013, 06:27 AM   #315
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by VisualDarkness Quote
Is it just me or do the peaking highlight blink in red if you expose bright enough? I had the birds blinking in red when in focus when shooting, making it easy to see focus.
Good tip. But then do you have to adjust the exposure after focusing?