Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-06-2013, 06:55 AM   #316
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by baro-nite Quote
Good tip. But then do you have to adjust the exposure after focusing?
No, I just make sure that the histogram fill out close to the right, to not underexpose.

01-06-2013, 07:00 AM   #317
Pentaxian

Now I can't seem to get that effect so maybe it was just a coincidence of some kind? Can you guys try it to see if I was incorrect?
01-06-2013, 08:59 AM   #318
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by VisualDarkness Quote
Now I can't seem to get that effect so maybe it was just a coincidence of some kind? Can you guys try it to see if I was incorrect?
I tried it also it didn't work for me, just red flashing in over exposed areas not the peaking highlights

Hans
01-06-2013, 09:10 AM   #319
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by mepaca Quote
I'm a long time lurker and first time poster. As an owner of a k10, k5 and k-01, I was inspired to get a q because of this post. I appreciate all of the q tips from Snostorm and all of the other q masters around here. Here is my first attempt at q super telephoto. I used the fotodiox adaptor with aperture control and the Pentax da18-250. They were taken from inside my kitchen through the sliding glass door. I just yesterday got the da55-300 and am looking forward to using that. With all of the sage advice from you I am looking forward to improving my skills. Thanks. Attached Images
Nice job with that 18-250. Once you have some good experience with it add an entry to the reference thread. Welcome!

01-06-2013, 10:30 AM   #320
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by hnikesch Quote
I tried it also it didn't work for me, just red flashing in over exposed areas not the peaking highlights

Hans
Weird, I followed the flashing areas pretty much all the time that day, maybe it just exposed for the in focus area or something and at all was coincidence? Or maybe aa awesome bug in the software?
01-06-2013, 01:19 PM   #321
Pentaxian

I find Peaking a significant benefit for me. I've done a lot practice indoors in a small room lit by a single 200W EQ CF daylight bulb in one corner, so I have a variety of light intensities and contrast to deal with. While it's definitely true that low light and low contrast seem to defeat Peaking as the contrast borders are no longer outlined, I can still see it working. I concentrate on a small area that I want in focus, and look for a change in the intensity of the "noise". This works for me as without the Peaking, the LCD is dark enough to frustrate my ability to focus critically, and any aid that acts as an indicator is better than none for me.

The magnifying focus aid is frustrating for me because I can't seem to train myself to keep my finger off the shutter button and my concentration is constantly being broken by the zooming.

This is really a good illustration of YMMV, IMO. I think that technically the problem is either that the sensor is not optimal for the application of peaking, or the EVF processor is not equal to the task. Remember that this feature was an afterthought, patched in with FW. This may be fanboyish, but I'm assuming that they gave us the best implementation the already existing hardware allowed. I would expect that in the next iteration of the Q, more effective Peaking will be a consideration from the start, and it will work better. I'm looking forward to that. . .

Scott
01-06-2013, 02:24 PM   #322
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by snostorm Quote
I find Peaking a significant benefit for me.
I also find peaking invaluable outdoors when trailing birds with long lenses and it also works quite well with my 4mm cctv lens indoors.

Hans
01-07-2013, 09:13 AM   #323
Forum Member

Up and runnning

Thanks to Barondla, Crewl1, Snostorm and others I am up and running here in the UK. As elsewhere in the world when you want to test a lens the sun goes in permanently! Of course being the depth of winter in a northern latitude we are used to it so I had to take this in very low contrast light under cloud at ISO 400. Not much cropped and taken from about 20 feet. (yes us oldies can still do feet here!)
Usual adjustments I would make to an image taken in these conditions and resized down. Wagtails move a lot and this was only 100th sec so quite a few blurred - a tripod and remote were used of course but I was amazed I got this without that much difficulty. Pretty good I think.

Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX Q  Photo 
01-07-2013, 09:15 AM   #324
owl
Forum Member

I'd say very good!
01-07-2013, 09:31 AM   #325
Veteran Member

I think that is a great start dc1500!

Would you mind sharing what lens you used?
01-07-2013, 09:54 AM   #326
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by dc1500 Quote
Thanks to Barondla, Crewl1, Snostorm and others I am up and running here in the UK. As elsewhere in the world when you want to test a lens the sun goes in permanently! Of course being the depth of winter in a northern latitude we are used to it so I had to take this in very low contrast light under cloud at ISO 400. Not much cropped and taken from about 20 feet. (yes us oldies can still do feet here!)
Usual adjustments I would make to an image taken in these conditions and resized down. Wagtails move a lot and this was only 100th sec so quite a few blurred - a tripod and remote were used of course but I was amazed I got this without that much difficulty. Pretty good I think.
Nice result DC, pretty bird. I'd like to know the details on lens/adapter you used also.
01-07-2013, 11:07 AM   #327
Pentaxian

Hi DC,

I think it's very good!

A big advantage for songbirds is that I can stay outside their danger radius and still fill the frame. I know I will get a lot more opportunities to shoot without intimidating them.

Nice work!

Scott
01-07-2013, 11:11 AM   #328
Forum Member

Sorry - can't believe I forgot to say the DA*300mm ! The adapter was the RJ one.
01-07-2013, 11:16 AM   #329
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by dc1500 Quote
Sorry - can't believe I forgot to say the DA*300mm ! The adapter was the RJ one.

I kind of had the feeling it was the DA*300 - it seems to be one of the best behaved long lenses on the Q.
01-07-2013, 04:12 PM   #330
Pentaxian

Hi DC, great feather detail, nice job. You are going to enjoy your Q

Hans