Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 179 Likes Search this Thread
01-07-2013, 04:37 PM   #331

Photos: Gallery | Albums

Staff note: This post may contain affiliate links, which means Pentax Forums may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. If you would like to support the forum directly, you may also make a donation here.

Hi, i was out today with the Q and the Tamron 70-200 f2.8 and I got a chance to finally capture the waning crescent moon in daylight with the FA*300mm f4.5. Personally I feel that the Tamron is great for medium range shots, whereas the FA* is my favourite for long range shots. Here are my two favourite images from Today.

Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX Q  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX Q  Photo 
01-07-2013, 04:42 PM   #332
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
A few more with the Tamron 70-300

Overcast today a little dark but went shooting anyway. Hand held because everything I wanted to shoot keeps moving away. Got a few Ducks first two male Hooded Mergansers and a Grebe. Then a Great Egret, White Ibis and a Tricolored Heron. Different location today on a canal so I could walk the length and follow the birds. Shutter speeds slower than I would have liked 1/100 sec. for the ducks. I am getting about 10% keepers I think it's 30% them moving and the rest me. Using a Photodiox adapter and I did have to remove some PF from the Mergansers

Hans
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX Q  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX Q  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX Q  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX Q  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX Q  Photo 
01-07-2013, 04:45 PM   #333

QuoteOriginally posted by hnikesch Quote
Overcast today a little dark but went shooting anyway. Hand held because everything I wanted to shoot keeps moving away. Got a few Ducks first two male Hooded Mergansers and a Grebe. Then a Great Egret, White Ibis and a Tricolored Heron. Different location today on a canal so I could walk the length and follow the birds. Shutter speeds slower than I would have liked 1/100 sec. for the ducks. I am getting about 10% keepers I think it's 30% them moving and the rest me.

Hans
Great shot of that Egret !!
01-07-2013, 04:57 PM   #334
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by mgbirder Quote
Hi, i was out today with the Q and the Tamron 70-200 f2.8 and I got a chance to finally capture the waning crescent moon in daylight with the FA*300mm f4.5. Personally I feel that the Tamron is great for medium range shots, whereas the FA* is my favourite for long range shots. Here are my two favourite images from Today.
Very nice - really good contrast from that Tamron and no hint of CA or PF. Did you do a lot of PP? What aperture did you use?

01-07-2013, 04:59 PM   #335
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Overcast today a little dark but went shooting anyway. Hand held because everything I wanted to shoot keeps moving away. Got a few Ducks first two male Hooded Mergansers and a Grebe. Then a Great Egret, White Ibis and a Tricolored Heron. Different location today on a canal so I could walk the length and follow the birds. Shutter speeds slower than I would have liked 1/100 sec. for the ducks. I am getting about 10% keepers I think it's 30% them moving and the rest me. Using a Photodiox adapter and I did have to remove some PF from the Mergansers
I can't ever catch the swimming ducks, good work. The Tricolor heron looks great!
01-07-2013, 05:06 PM   #336

QuoteOriginally posted by crewl1 Quote
Very nice - really good contrast from that Tamron and no hint of CA or PF. Did you do a lot of PP? What aperture did you use?
I used 2 clicks with the Fotodiox (there was lots of Light), my usual PP procedure - Raw conversion in Lightroom (exposure, clarity and Shadow - Highlights), and posterior processing (Highlights, Levels and Sharpening) in Photoshop, i did also crop a bit and eliminated some black floating points in the water, here is the Raw directly converted into JPG via Lightroom.
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX Q  Photo 
01-07-2013, 06:14 PM   #337
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Next silly question. I have found the areas in B&H's and Adorama's websites where Pentax red dot scopes are sold, but shipping outside the USA is not possible. The best option I have found on Australian sites looks to be the basic Bushnell at around $140. Does anyone know a site in Australia where the Pentax version may be available?

01-07-2013, 06:34 PM - 1 Like   #338
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

These guys say they ship internationally but not sure if there are restrictions to Australia. Pentax Gameseeker 1x30 Mm Rd10 Illuminated Red Dot Scope, Matte Black - 1003637, Red Dot Scope at Sportsman's Guide

These folks don't seem to list it in stock but maybe they can order it for you http://www.extac.com.au/category_s/256.htm Prices look like double the US prices for the same items though.

If all else fails you may have to do something other than Pentax. http://www.ebay.com.au/sch/i.html?_trksid=p5197.m570.l1311&_nkw=red+dot+sigh...at=0&_from=R40

Last edited by crewl1; 01-07-2013 at 06:51 PM.
01-07-2013, 07:21 PM   #339
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by crewl1 Quote
These guys say they ship internationally but not sure if there are restrictions to Australia. Pentax Gameseeker 1x30 Mm Rd10 Illuminated Red Dot Scope, Matte Black - 1003637, Red Dot Scope at Sportsman's Guide
They seem to ship to Sweden at least and that was quite cheap in my mind. Maybe I should get one...
Edit: can't ship that item internationally.
01-07-2013, 08:23 PM   #340
Veteran Member

Overcast today a little dark but went shooting anyway. Hand held because everything I wanted to shoot keeps moving away. Got a few Ducks first two male Hooded Mergansers and a Grebe. Then a Great Egret, White Ibis and a Tricolored Heron.

Hans
Very impressive Hans - The thought of attempting to follow ducks on the water at these focal lengths seems impossible - great work!
01-07-2013, 08:53 PM   #341
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by mgbirder Quote
QuoteOriginally posted by stormtech Quote
Very impressive Hans - The thought of attempting to follow ducks on the water at these focal lengths seems impossible - great work!

MG great shots, love the moon

Thanks Stan, like i said my keeper rate was only about 10% the ducks were hard to catch, I am hoping for more sun and faster shutter speeds, The ducks were all @ 300mm and hard to focus.

Hans
01-08-2013, 03:35 AM   #342

Q with Sigma 150-500 5-6,3 OS APO DG HSM. It's been dark here for a month. No sunny days, so be it. Hand held pictures. ISO500 @ all pictures.
I'll do better some day.
1st: @500mm(2750mm) @f6,3
2nd: @500mm x 1,7TC(~4000mm) @f6,3 x 1,7TC
3rd: Reference picture with Q and Rikenon 28mm(135mm) f2,8 @ f5,6.
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX Q  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX Q  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX Q  Photo 
01-08-2013, 06:48 AM   #343
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by K9-K5 Quote
Q with Sigma 150-500 5-6,3 OS APO DG HSM. It's been dark here for a month. No sunny days, so be it. Hand held pictures. ISO500 @ all pictures.
I'll do better some day.
1st: @500mm(2750mm) @f6,3
2nd: @500mm x 1,7TC(~4000mm) @f6,3 x 1,7TC
3rd: Reference picture with Q and Rikenon 28mm(135mm) f2,8 @ f5,6.
Looks like that setup will be fun on a sunny day, I did notice you set SR for the crop factor FL not the lens FL. Everything I have read says to set it at the real lens focal length. Enjoy.

Hans
01-08-2013, 07:47 AM   #344

MG great shots, love the moon

Thanks Stan, like i said my keeper rate was only about 10% the ducks were hard to catch, I am hoping for more sun and faster shutter speeds, The ducks were all @ 300mm and hard to focus.

Hans
Thanks, i really hunted that moon shot for a few days, until yesterday finally there where no clouds anywhere.
01-08-2013, 09:57 AM   #345

Looks like that setup will be fun on a sunny day, I did notice you set SR for the crop factor FL not the lens FL. Everything I have read says to set it at the real lens focal length. Enjoy.

Hans
Thanks, Hans.

I noticed that too. It affected to OS/IS too much.