Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-08-2013, 02:38 PM   #346
Forum Member

Had another chance today with a bit more light. (DA* 300mm +Q). Iso 250 and 1/400th, f4.0 ish. Cropped about 40%, taken from 20 metres away from inside my lounge and blackbird was at end of garden. Usual minor adjustments and auto sharpened a tad by down scaling although original was sharp. I am so impressed with this to replace any notion I might have had to try digiscoping.
DC

Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX Q  Photo 
01-08-2013, 03:04 PM   #347
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
That is a great shot DC1500, the feather detail on that blackbird really stands out. Good work!
01-08-2013, 04:03 PM   #348

QuoteOriginally posted by dc1500 Quote
I am so impressed with this to replace any notion I might have had to try digiscoping.
DC
Yeah me too, in Digiscoping there is always to much glass in play and a lot of adjustments, im selling my Spotting Scope just now.
01-08-2013, 05:18 PM   #349
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Had another chance today with a bit more light. (DA* 300mm +Q). Iso 250 and 1/400th, f4.0 ish. Cropped about 40%, taken from 20 metres away from inside my lounge and blackbird was at end of garden. Usual minor adjustments and auto sharpened a tad by down scaling although original was sharp. I am so impressed with this to replace any notion I might have had to try digiscoping.
DC
Wow, this is one nice shot. Even the composition is pleasant.

01-08-2013, 05:21 PM   #350
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
Had another chance today with a bit more light. (DA* 300mm +Q). Iso 250 and 1/400th, f4.0 ish. DC
Very nice DC great detail and nice composition, I am envious of that 300

Hans
01-08-2013, 05:38 PM   #351
Loyal Site Supporter

DC
Damn impressive!
01-08-2013, 06:02 PM   #352
Loyal Site Supporter

Resistance is futile. I've joined the DA* 300 club. Had a short session this afternoon, kind of comical as I attempted to catch one of the many Yellow-rumped Warblers flitting madly about. Best get:

Name:  _IGP0636.jpg
Views: 550
Size:  83.5 KB

I think this is a female in her first winter.

Also found that yes, there is such a thing as too much reach sometimes:

Name:  _IGP0633.jpg
Views: 469
Size:  67.2 KB

(Brown Thrasher)
01-08-2013, 06:03 PM   #353
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by mgbirder Quote
Yeah me too, in Digiscoping there is always to much glass in play and a lot of adjustments, im selling my Spotting Scope just now.
Hi mgbirder,

Here's an idea that might make you change your mind about selling the spotting scope.

Say you had a subject that was pretty stationary, like a hawk's nest. They are usually pretty high up, so you need the reach to get an angle on it no matter how close you might be able to get to the tree. I had just this situation in 2010 with a Cooper's Hawk nest, and couldn't get past 1092mm EQ with my gear at that time (714mm f 6.7 with an FA* 300 f2.8 + stacked F 1l7x AFA + Sigma EX 1.4x APO TC). My results were okay, but I think the Q + FA* 300 f4.5 (1674mm EQ) would have been better. This situation was a primary reason why I was so eager to experiment with the Q and long teles in the first place.

You can set up the scope side-by-side to the camera on a multi camera rail so they both aim at the nest. You can prefocus the Q and then keep an eye on the nest in real time, with the LCD of the Q turned off to save battery power. If something happens at the nest, you can trigger the shutter on the Q. Yes, there will be a difference in perspective, and maybe even magnification, but you could view and shoot in real time, just as if you had an optical viewfinder.

Maybe not the most versatile setup, but something I'm considering doing with my cheap Bower 5x spotting scope eyepiece for K mount lenses (the magnification is just about right to match the crop factor of the Q, and I have quite a few lenses at 300mm to use with the eyepiece. I haven't tried it yet, but I already have most of the pieces I need to carry it off. This is just in the idea stage at the moment, and may have some significant practical problems, but it's fun to exercise my brain during the winter thinking of new ways to use the Q

Scott

01-08-2013, 06:04 PM   #354
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
A few with my SMC-M 135 f3.5

Snowy Egret grooming waiting for the fishermen to get back in and clean fish, then they beg for scraps. Fisherman's Village Punta Gorda Fl. All shot with 135 at f5.6 using a Photodiox adapter.

Hans
Attached Images

01-08-2013, 06:11 PM   #355
Pentaxian

Hi DC,

Nice!!!

Black birds are really tough to expose correctly and with MF, the Q requires that you make adjustments quickly Both focus and exposure look spot on.

Well done!

Scott
01-08-2013, 06:16 PM   #356
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by baro-nite Quote
Resistance is futile. I've joined the DA* 300 club. Had a short session this afternoon, kind of comical as I attempted to catch one of the many Yellow-rumped Warblers flitting madly about. Best get:

I think this is a female in her first winter.

Also found that yes, there is such a thing as too much reach sometimes:

(Brown Thrasher)
Hi baro-nite,

Very Nice!!!

Warblers have been a challenge for me. They like to stay in the trees, so reach is important, and they're fast and hardly stand still at all.

Were you using a Red Dot Sight? -- If not, seriously consider it -- you wouldn't believe how these aid getting a small bird in the VF quickly.

Scott
01-08-2013, 06:20 PM   #357
Loyal Site Supporter

Thanks Scott -- mainly on your review I picked up the RD10. Also the Xtend-a-Sight, current model which as you have noted is not a snug fit. I've wrapped a velcro strip around the sight to get it aligned correctly; not ideal as I have to redo it occasionally, but workable.
01-08-2013, 06:28 PM   #358
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by hnikesch Quote
Snowy Egret grooming waiting for the fishermen to get back in and clean fish, then they beg for scraps. Fisherman's Village Punta Gorda Fl. All shot with 135 at f5.6 using a Photodiox adapter.
Hi Hans,

You look like you're having too much fun!

I have an almost identical shot of a great egret preening but it's from the back, against the sky. Only shot I've gotten like that in 8 years.

Good work! I think that #1 is my favorite of these -- with the beak pinching the feathers.

Scott
01-08-2013, 06:38 PM   #359

QuoteOriginally posted by snostorm Quote
Hi mgbirder,

Here's an idea that might make you change your mind about selling the spotting scope.

Say you had a subject that was pretty stationary, like a hawk's nest. They are usually pretty high up, so you need the reach to get an angle on it no matter how close you might be able to get to the tree. I had just this situation in 2010 with a Cooper's Hawk nest, and couldn't get past 1092mm EQ with my gear at that time (714mm f 6.7 with an FA* 300 f2.8 + stacked F 1l7x AFA + Sigma EX 1.4x APO TC). My results were okay, but I think the Q + FA* 300 f4.5 (1674mm EQ) would have been better. This situation was a primary reason why I was so eager to experiment with the Q and long teles in the first place.

You can set up the scope side-by-side to the camera on a multi camera rail so they both aim at the nest. You can prefocus the Q and then keep an eye on the nest in real time, with the LCD of the Q turned off to save battery power. If something happens at the nest, you can trigger the shutter on the Q. Yes, there will be a difference in perspective, and maybe even magnification, but you could view and shoot in real time, just as if you had an optical viewfinder.

Maybe not the most versatile setup, but something I'm considering doing with my cheap Bower 5x spotting scope eyepiece for K mount lenses (the magnification is just about right to match the crop factor of the Q, and I have quite a few lenses at 300mm to use with the eyepiece. I haven't tried it yet, but I already have most of the pieces I need to carry it off. This is just in the idea stage at the moment, and may have some significant practical problems, but it's fun to exercise my brain during the winter thinking of new ways to use the Q

Scott
Hi Scott, yeah that would be a good application of the scope, i am still looking for buyers because I will move to Bolivia soon and i really have a lot of stuff to move in just 4 bags (and i don't want to pay extra weight), but if it doesn't sell I certainly will find a good use for the scope, i find that although seeing an image on the LCD is nice and the reach is great on the Q, it does not compare to the clarity and WOW effect of looking through a scope. The problem is I already carry the K5 + Sigma 150-500 + AF560 Flash + Better beamer + Battery Pack and now also the Q + FA*300 f4.5 or Tamron 70-200 and a tripod into the field, so also taking the Scope is just a bit to much for me to handle But in case I went stationary in a place like that Eagle Nest you mention a double set-up like that would certainly be great.

Marek

Last edited by mgbirder; 01-08-2013 at 06:48 PM.
01-08-2013, 06:41 PM   #360
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Hans,
Very nice Egret shots!
I recently purchased a M 135mm f/3.5 in anticipation of using it on my Q, once it arrives.
Thanks for showing its abilities.