Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-18-2013, 05:39 PM   #421

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by djseeram Quote
Got the Q yesterday. Had to try it on the moon through my scope, 560mm fl. 5 sharpened image stack using Registax.
Stunning results!!! I tried Registrax once or twice bit never got into it, i looked at some tutorials but i never get any useful results. Have you tried shooting any other celestial objects? Keep them coming !!

01-19-2013, 10:22 AM   #422
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Those are some excellent moon pics! Here's Jupiter and moons (one moon did not show in the image for some odd reason). Cross post from the Astro-Q club. taken at about 1:30a.m with the Tokina atx-sd 400mm for canon fd lens.
01-19-2013, 10:36 AM   #423
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by ivoire Quote
Those are some excellent moon pics! Here's Jupiter and moons (one moon did not show in the image for some odd reason). Cross post from the Astro-Q club. taken at about 1:30a.m with the Tokina atx-sd 400mm for canon fd lens.
I am just floored ivoire - that is just plain awesome!

Without going too far off topic here, may I ask how you like your Tokina 400mm ATX? Do you have any examples on the Q of a subject here on earth? Also would like to hear your opinion of the lens on a regular K-mount DSLR.
01-19-2013, 11:17 AM   #424
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by stormtech Quote
I am just floored ivoire - that is just plain awesome!

Without going too far off topic here, may I ask how you like your Tokina 400mm ATX? Do you have any examples on the Q of a subject here on earth? Also would like to hear your opinion of the lens on a regular K-mount DSLR.
I bought the tokina about 3 years ago from ebay for $15 plus $9 shipping. It was listed as K-mount and when it arrived I knew it was canon fd mount. To send it back for a $15 recovery would have been ridiculous. So, I took it apart, permanently taped the aperture lever in place at around f5.6-7, guessed the registry distance and screwed on a pentax K lens mount from an old pentax lens (wish the Q was available then). Fortunately it worked! I was never too fond of it on the K5 as I owned the f*300mm and it couldn't compete for my attention. since I recently sold my K5 and lenses and just bought/received the 'groupon' Q, the old remaining K mount manual lenses are getting used. So to answer you questions, 1) I'm liking the tokinas 2380mm equivalent on the Q and 2) no, i really don't have any 'earth' pics with this lens. I mainly used it as a spotter scope with a Bower 4x telephoto lens adapter. With the Q, it has become fun to use and I hope to get some pics of Saturn if the weather stays out of the single digits here in Chicago area. If i get to florida in march I'll try the combo for birds

01-19-2013, 12:03 PM   #425

QuoteOriginally posted by VisualDarkness Quote
Haha, "hey, took at my stitched moon panorama!".
Stacking is pretty easy, at least just simple ones, with automated programs that does all the work for you. Stitching on the other hand is way harder in my eyes as it's not just 5-50 shots of the the same thing.

Never would thought a need of doing that.

I'm little out of stacking, Should I try to take photos from object with different focus or just stack same kind of images over and over again?

Stitching is easy with AutoPano. It finds, stitches horizontally and vertically it self. Then it renders it so, that different exposures comes unite whit out clear edges.

BTW, I made a new better sharpened picture from that yesterday. Got better.
01-19-2013, 01:31 PM   #426
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by ivoire Quote
I bought the tokina about 3 years ago from ebay for $15 plus $9 shipping. It was listed as K-mount and when it arrived I knew it was canon fd mount. To send it back for a $15 recovery would have been ridiculous. So, I took it apart, permanently taped the aperture lever in place at around f5.6-7, guessed the registry distance and screwed on a pentax K lens mount from an old pentax lens (wish the Q was available then). Fortunately it worked! I was never too fond of it on the K5 as I owned the f*300mm and it couldn't compete for my attention. since I recently sold my K5 and lenses and just bought/received the 'groupon' Q, the old remaining K mount manual lenses are getting used. So to answer you questions, 1) I'm liking the tokinas 2380mm equivalent on the Q and 2) no, i really don't have any 'earth' pics with this lens. I mainly used it as a spotter scope with a Bower 4x telephoto lens adapter. With the Q, it has become fun to use and I hope to get some pics of Saturn if the weather stays out of the single digits here in Chicago area. If i get to florida in march I'll try the combo for birds
Thanks for your thoughts on the Tokina lens.

Looking again at your Jupiter pic, and hearing of your plan to try capturing Saturn, reaffirms to me the many possibilities the Q opens up with our adapted lenses!
01-19-2013, 02:28 PM   #427
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by stormtech Quote
may I ask how you like your Tokina 400mm ATX?
I had the AF version of this lens, I bought it when I was "young"(camera age) spent too much on it and it was a PF/CA er, not sure which one exactly but it wasn't good for me. I with I would have had the sense to buy an A series 400mm instead.
01-19-2013, 03:37 PM   #428
Pentaxian

Here's some boring test shots. First time really using the Q, lens doesn't lock into the adapter, $10 garage sale tripod is terrible, only the sparrows and chickadees were cooperating, etc.

FA* 300/4.5, stopped down one click with a Fotodiox adapter. It seems this is equivalent to f/6.3-7.1 judging the aperture blade position while in the adapter versus turning the aperture ring without anything mounted to the lens.

The setup at 25mm (notice the branch pile across the street)

Full shot, ISO 400

Cropped to vertical, ISO 500

Uncropped, all the way across the street, ISO 1000

This camera is going to be a lot of fun. So hard to aim with this much reach, though

01-19-2013, 03:55 PM   #429

QuoteOriginally posted by ryan s Quote
Here's some boring test shots. First time really using the Q, lens doesn't lock into the adapter, $10 garage sale tripod is terrible, only the sparrows and chickadees were cooperating, etc.

This camera is going to be a lot of fun. So hard to aim with this much reach, though
If it's hard to find the moon with Q, I raise my hat for you that you found a sparrow.
01-19-2013, 04:05 PM   #430
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by K9-K5 Quote
I'm little out of stacking, Should I try to take photos from object with different focus or just stack same kind of images over and over again?
For astrophotography, stacking means super-resolution stacking, for decreasing noise and increasing detail. Focus stacking is typically done in macrophotography, to increase depth of field.

For super-resolution stacking, you keep focus (and settings) the same.
01-19-2013, 04:15 PM   #431
Veteran Member

FA* 300/4.5, stopped down one click with a Fotodiox adapter. It seems this is equivalent to f/6.3-7.1 judging the aperture blade position while in the adapter versus turning the aperture ring without anything mounted to the lens.

Excellent results with the FA*300 just like I've had - very nice!

Now as far as the aiming, you'll have some more GBA when you look at the solution in this thread:

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-q/212245-how-set-up-pentax-red-dot-sight-q.html
01-19-2013, 06:45 PM   #432
Pentaxian

Nice work on the bird pics!
01-19-2013, 06:52 PM   #433
Veteran Member

Full shot, ISO 400

Good work Ryan.
I believe if you set the Fotodiox to full closed, then you can use the lens aperture ring to select exact aperture.
01-19-2013, 07:23 PM   #434
Loyal Site Supporter

Full shot, ISO 400

Well done, and others have remarked, good aim!
01-19-2013, 08:06 PM   #435

Photos: Albums
Ok, I tried to shoot the moon tonight. I have a lens I've been wanting to try on the Q. It's an old Toyo 300mm f5.6 mirror lens. It's really light and small. In fact it may be too light. I had to place my tripod on the hood of my car to get the camera high enough for me to see the display. Not the most stable mount to say the least! And with the light weight I could still see the display shaking a little even after a ten second delay. It's the first time I've shot the moon with that long of an effective focal length. It sure is hard to find and crosses the screen pretty fast! Anyhow, here's the shot I got and the lens on the Q. I need to try something on the ground next.

Moon: 1/1250 f5.6 iso 400. Fotodiox adapter
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX Q  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX Optio I-10  Photo 

Last edited by post_eos; 01-19-2013 at 08:07 PM. Reason: Grammer