Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-27-2012, 10:42 AM   #31
Veteran Member

Staff note: This post may contain affiliate links, which means Pentax Forums may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. If you would like to support the forum directly, you may also make a donation here.

@barondla Allright! Done!

09-27-2012, 11:39 AM   #32
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Michaelina2 Quote
I ordered this one at the same time I ordered a Q from Oregon:

RJ Pentax PK PK-A AF DA lens to Pentax Q adapter with tripod mount aperture ring | eBay

It arrived in about 5 calendar days, two ahead of the camera. No problems and works great.

There's a learning curve. Keep in mind that focus is manual, DOF shallow, plus you do not have the ergonomics and dead weight inertia like (say) a K-5 paired to an M42 55/1.8 vs. a Q paired to a DA 15/4 (both are cf = 82.5) to help you keep the camera steady and on target. Good technique is required to get consistently acceptable results. If you are caffeine challenged like me ( I gotta have my cappo in the morning), this may take some time. I'm close, but not there, yet.

Anyway... Good luck. Please post your 'lessons learned' as they occur...

As an aside... Normally, I shoot RAW (DNG), but here's an OTC B/W JPG from yesterday. The 01 crops quite well (with minor tweaks from LR 4.1):

--------------

Here's another hand-held 'grab shot' JPG image from this morning using the DA 15/4 at f/4 adapted to the Q. Again, a crop, resize and minor touch up using LR4.1.... plus, Fickr seems to put the squeeze on my uploaded images, so some of the pp subtleties are lost.

Cheers... M
Thnaks Michaelina... very helpful.
09-27-2012, 01:28 PM - 1 Like   #33
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by JHD Quote
Just buy it - the original Q while you still can - you can't go wrong; and you own a very unique piece of photographic history.
Done, for 349$ I can't be wrong. Thanks, now I am waiting for the postman...
09-27-2012, 04:07 PM - 2 Likes   #34
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Did a couple of tests in the field with the Sigma, I was not impressed with the results.
Really it appears that if you want to use the Q as a 5.5x adapter you need a prime with superb IQ on its own.

Here is a shot of Legg Lake in Rosemead, CA taken with the Prime 01, it gets some decent waterfowl visitors during the week when human visitors are scarce.
There is a Snowy Egret in the reeds across from the bank.

Best I could do with the Sigma was this shot, the zoom is backed off below 200 as at 200 it would get smoky. This one won't be used with the Q.
I'm thinking maybe a better 70-200 like the Tammy or the Pentax 60-250 might improve things.

The real joy today came from the DA*300, which should come as no surprise, but really what this thing can pull off is truly amazing.

Here is a Great Blue Heron, which typically is very skittish so I initially kept my distance.
The setup taken with my iPhone. Q+DA*300

I can't believe how good these shots came out Yes this is a DA*300 +Q, no cropping, minor clarity and sharpen that I do on any shot.

So then I take the DA*300 and put it on my K-5, figure I will get some BIF shots as soon as it sees me.
Turns out this guy was on his meds today and let me get super close before he flapped.

Comparing the close shots with the K-5/DA*300 I don't really see a diff, perhaps just the bokeh is a little nervous from the Q setup.
I am truly amazed

Oh he did eventually get annoyed

09-28-2012, 04:13 AM   #35
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by crewl1 Quote
The real joy today came from the DA*300, which should come as no surprise... I am truly amazed
Wow... What a delightful 'on the edge' narrative! I hope Pentax marketing is aware of your story. If they were to take it and run with it, I bet they could sell a ton of Qs. These little critters are as you say... amazing and more.

Looking forward to your next posts... Thx for sharing...

Cheers... M
09-28-2012, 04:49 AM   #36
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by crewl1 Quote
Here is a shot of Legg Lake in Rosemead, CA taken with the Prime 01, it gets some decent waterfowl visitors during the week when human visitors are scarce.
Morning,

Great shots of the Great Blue Heron and especially of the Snowy Egret.

Also, thank you very much for pictures of the farm! My Grandfather bought the property from the Luck Baldwin estate over 100 years ago. The house use to be north of the Pomona Freeway near the old Nike missile base - all industrial now. The old school building on Durfee that the Army Corps of Engineers is now (or at least was) in, was the Grammar School all the farm families went to for years. The whole area use to be truck farms, the lake and recreational area is all man made.... My Grandmother sold the property (160 acres) for $5,000 in 1948.

I grew up not too far from there.... I have not been back over there for years. Thanks for the pictures!!!!

09-28-2012, 09:07 AM   #37
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Thanks Michael, I think Barondla should get the Pentax award for getting attention on the Q, he's the reason I got interested.

Interested_observer, that's a great story. Wow, $5000? This area is worth a heck of a lot more now, your grandparents owned quite a large tract of land.
I live in Baldwin Park and have only heard the name of Lucky Baldwin, I was curious about the history of the area.

The Legg Lake area is pretty nice for picture taking, I had previously only been to one side of the lake near the entrance of the park where I've taken my grand kids to feed the ducks.
This other side is a lot wilder and has lots of plants that critters hide in.

I plan to go back soon. While I was there yesterday I saw a couple of raptors flying around trying to catch pigeons.
I'd like to get some shots of them if I can find their lookout tree.

09-28-2012, 03:33 PM - 2 Likes   #38

I ended up picking up a Q from Amazon warehouse deals. Just as everyone says it is shocking how tiny it really is when you first hold it. The difference in size between the Q and my OMD feels about the same as the difference in size between the OMD and the D700. I think it will be a lot of fun shooting with the Q.

I wanted the Q for the very serious reach it has from its crop factor. I think I'm going to need a LCD loupe to help aid in focusing during bright sunlight but my initial test of the crop factor was revealing.

This is with the included prime:

This is with my Nikon big glass....

No cropping on either picture.

This is the rig...

That is a Nikon 500mm F4P lens. I have a 1.6x teleconvter for the lens but have not yet tried that with the Q. That would result in an effective FOV of almost 4500 mm.

When I get more light and the rain lets up I am looking forward to trying my 200mm Nikon macro lens on the Q.

Shawn
09-28-2012, 04:02 PM   #39
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

That is an awesome setup Shawn! Welcome to the Q family, I look forward to your shots.
09-28-2012, 08:27 PM   #40
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Welcome to the Q family Shawn67. You made quite a splash with that rig. Post more shots. I have a friend that shoots a D700 and Q. He uses the Nikon 80-200 2.8 lens and gets very good results. We have shot together for years, and he laughed the first time I brought the Q. Now he loves his. I do the same as you. Change bodies/crop factors to use the same lens for different images. I also use Olympus m4/3 and 4/3. No FF yet. Your Nikon seems to have very little ca. The Q is hard on lenses with any ca.

Thanks for the kind words crewl1. Have owned the Pentax A110 film system for years. It and other submini cameras were fun to play with. Got the Q at introduction. Even at the orig price it was worth it to me. Thought I was getting another toy, but was surprised. The Q can knock out great images. Sometimes they are shots you can hardly get any other way.

Horrified at the public reaction to this marvel of engineering. The internet became a lynch mob. The "shootbynumbers-100%viewers" couldn't let such a camera exist. They were threatened. Sickening. Know how the designer ( Oscar B.) of the 1st Leica felt. I try to counteract this. Was hoping to keep the Q in production.

A lot of credit should go to snostorm, devorama, pinholecam, and many others. The Q is way in front of what most people are comfortable with. That will change with time. If it is a hobby shouldn't it be fun? Have fun!

thanks
barondla
09-28-2012, 09:41 PM   #41
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
About the Sigma and the white haze. I loaned my DA*300 to a Q friend going to Alaska. Friend let me use bigma 50-500. Had used the lens on K7 before. On Q the same white haze developed around 500mm. Not a problem on dslr. Wonder what causes the problem?

Possiblities:
1. Light is bouncing off rear element and back to sensor.
2. Inside of adapter reflects light when tele throws bigger image circle. May try adding black felt inside adapter.
3. Something in lens is causing flare.

Any ideas?
thanks
barondla
09-29-2012, 01:09 AM   #42
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Very impressive shots everyone..

A silly question if you don't mind.....the K-mount to Q adaptor will only allow you to use the APS-C lenses in manual focus, no?

How do you guys do those birding shots? focus peaking?

I am thinking this may be the cheapest way for me to get into birding (I wanted to try but did not manage to get the sigma 50-500 previously which is on sale)...
09-29-2012, 04:39 AM   #43

Thanks, I am excited to shoot with the Q. I tried to get one from the QVC deal in the spring but obviously that hadn't worked out. To me the Q is the digital version of the Minox cameras... so very small so that it is easy to always have with you.

I have the 80-200 2.8 lens as well and I will try that on the Q along with all my other Nikon glass. My 80-200 is the push-pull version so it does not have a tripod mount on it. It will be interesting to see what focusing is like on that combo hand help. The greater DOF should help. I am also waiting for a C mount adapter so I can try those lenses out as well.

Regarding CA on the 500mm that was a focus aid. The numbers on the mailbox were purple or green when I had the focus off slightly. That lens does a very good job WRT CA though I still used the defringe checkbox in LR4 to clean up a slight amount of CA. Will be interesting to see how my fast primes do on the Q as they can show purple fringing when wide open.

Shawn
09-29-2012, 06:13 AM   #44
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Crewl1, finally got a chance to view your birds on the big monitor. You have some terrific shots of skittish birds. Great captures. Looks like the Sigma is decent and could be pressed into action. It is very hard to to match the Pentax 300. It has so little ca. Would love to know if the current Pentax 200 2.8 fares as well. On dpreview brandrx shoots with a 60-250 at times and it looks close to Pentax 300 quaity. Slightly less sharp- slightly.

Shawn67, never paid attention to friend's Nikon 80-200 zoom method. It is the current non image stabilization model with constant 2.8 aperture. He seems happy with it. Didn't know that LR4 had fringe removal. Is it fairly automated or does it require lots of work? Does it work well?
thanks
barondla
09-29-2012, 06:23 AM   #45

"Didn't know that LR4 had fringe removal. Is it fairly automated or does it require lots of work? Does it work well?"

LR4 has two difference methods. The first is just a check box to "Remove Chromatic Aberration" which is all I did for the 500mm shot. That works well and removes most CA. If you still have fringing you want to address you use the defringe tool. That works like an eyedropper with a magnified view next to it. Just click on the fringe color and it removes it from the shot. You can use it multiple times for different color fringing. The whole processes takes seconds and is effective.

Shawn