Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 179 Likes Search this Thread
02-02-2013, 09:10 AM   #526
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by hnikesch Quote
Thanks, yes the 135 makes a small pkg. and easy to carry and shoot. Some PF'g but that can be removed. I am still looking for a faster and better 135 the focal length is great on the Q. Based on the ratings the several old 135's are sharper but who knows how they will work on the Q
I can live with the PF at f:5.6. It's pretty much gone completely at f:8 on my copy. I'm sure there are sharper 135s with less PF, but the tiny size & light weight of this one on the Q makes it a great one to tote around.

02-02-2013, 11:03 AM - 2 Likes   #527
Forum Member

First attempt with the Fotodex adapter, Pentax scope and DA300. Uncropped
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX Q  Photo 
02-02-2013, 11:10 AM   #528
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Blythman Quote
Amazing! Keep it up.
02-02-2013, 01:20 PM   #529
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Very nice definitively a keeper

Hans

02-02-2013, 02:44 PM   #530
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by GibbyTheMole Quote
I can live with the PF at f:5.6. It's pretty much gone completely at f:8 on my copy. I'm sure there are sharper 135s with less PF, but the tiny size & light weight of this one on the Q makes it a great one to tote around.
If you want something that's even smaller the M100/2.8 seems good at f/4 from my limited testing. I'll get around to a proper test sometime, hopefully. (It's longer than I really care for, I very rarely use anything longer than 135 on APS-C.)
02-02-2013, 03:34 PM   #531
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Well that was a ..... thrill. And the adrenaline crash after.

So I hauled out my tripod and mounted my plate to the bottom of my Q and K200/2.5 and snapped it into the ballhead - and the adapter prevents it from making a tight connection. The plate sticks out too far, so that it is just a mm or so away from the edge of the K>Q adapter. Guess I need to break out the LX Tripod adapter - I always wondered if I would ever use that. Glad I caught on to this because the whole thing actually came off in my hand JUST as I was about to release the plate.

I can just imagine what I would be screaming if that mount had taken a tumble. Thankfully the wrist strap was wrapped around my wrist --

So I tried handheld --
  • Focus Peaking didn't want to work
  • AF Assist didn't want to work
  • but I sure can get pretty close to that squirrel. Just can't get a decent image.
Eff.

Guess I have some reading to do.
02-02-2013, 03:54 PM   #532
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by monochrome Quote
So I hauled out my tripod and mounted my plate to the bottom of my Q and K200/2.5 and snapped it into the ballhead - and the adapter prevents it from making a tight connection. The plate sticks out too far, so that it is just a mm or so away from the edge of the K>Q adapter. Guess I need to break out the LX Tripod adapter - I always wondered if I would ever use that. Glad I caught on to this because the whole thing actually came off in my hand JUST as I was about to release the plate.

I can just imagine what I would be screaming if that mount had taken a tumble. Thankfully the wrist strap was wrapped around my wrist --

Just curious if this was with the Pentax or generic adapter?

Arca-swiss plate or proprietary?

Just wondering as I am contemplating spending the money for the Pentax adapter - don't want to do that then have a problem like this.

02-02-2013, 04:32 PM   #533
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Pentax OEM adapter. Classic Manfrotto 486RC2 Rapid Connect Plate

02-02-2013, 04:32 PM   #534
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I really strongly recommend using a tripod mount on the adaptor or the lens, not only for clearance issues but more importantly to avoid strain on the small Q mounting ring.
02-02-2013, 05:24 PM   #535
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Sandy Hancock Quote
I really strongly recommend using a tripod mount on the adaptor or the lens, not only for clearance issues but more importantly to avoid strain on the small Q mounting ring.
Yep figured that out. Bean bags for me until I can get the converter tripod mount.
02-02-2013, 05:57 PM   #536
Veteran Member

Pentax OEM adapter. Classic Manfrotto 486RC2 Rapid Connect Plate
That's good to know. I would have run into the same issue had I not converted my Manfrotto head with the same RC2 quick connect system over to arca-swiss.

I guess we being pioneers into the Q and adapted lenses we will find irregularities now and then.

As I said I was thinking of purchasing the OEM adapter. I had to remove the tripod foot from my Fotodiox adapter when I installed the plate for my Carryspeed viewfinder. Actually glad I did since it was fastened very poorly. Now when I use a lens that has no tripod foot, I need to use the tripod connector on the bottom of the camera. This is another reason for me thinking of the OEM adapter as it can have its own good tripod foot. But I hesitate....$250 for the adapter plus $50 for the tripod foot - I have a hard time putting a $300 adapter on my $100 Q........
02-02-2013, 06:12 PM   #537
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Well presently I have more money in the adapter than I have in 2 Q's and the 01 and 02 lenses so I figure I might as well get the tripod foot and the 06. That's no worse than having so many film cameras.
02-02-2013, 06:20 PM   #538
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

So I tried handheld --
  • Focus Peaking didn't want to work
  • AF Assist didn't want to work
  • but I sure can get pretty close to that squirrel. Just can't get a decent image.
Eff.

Guess I have some reading to do.
First make sure the latest firmware is installed.

Go to menu/camera page 1/focus settings

Change MF assist to x4

Turn on/off Focus Peaking

To activate Focus Assist when an adapted lens is on, hit the OK button. It will cancel when you press the shutter button.
To keep the LCD display on for manual focusing turn off Power Saving in menu/Wrench 2/Power Saving - uncheck
02-02-2013, 06:34 PM   #539
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Everything but Power Saving was done - spent half the day installing FW updates in Q's and K-01's (and even an i-10) - but I was pretty frustrated by that time so I prrobably goofed something.
02-02-2013, 10:30 PM   #540
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Very good! Pentax Scope? Did you use a PF80ED with the Q or a DA*300?