Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 179 Likes Search this Thread
02-08-2013, 02:44 PM   #556
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Great Horned Owl

In a park in Punta Gorda are a pair of nesting Great Horned Owls, I only got a few shots of the chicks, parents were hiding. The city blocks off the site perimeter so I couldn't get too close. Q with DAL 55-300 @ 300 on a mono-pod,

Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX Q  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX Q  Photo 
02-08-2013, 03:53 PM   #557
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Thinking more about how to get the most of my Q in the warmer months, I had the thought to look for a good deal on some "M" lenses. hnikesch showed some very nice examples with his M 135 3.5 in the reference thread. I will likely use my 300mm quite a bit to get that @#$% Kingfisher who resides across the river at around 75 yards, but for shooing the many ducks we have in the river, the 300mm might be almost too much, So I thought a 135mm or 150mm would be a nice compromise of which I don't own any lenses in that focal length. I usually shy away from ebay, but just ended up winning a very nice looking M 150 3.5 for a good price. I think this lens will be a nice focal length for the Q for shooting around 30-50 yards. It also feels good to bring an old classic lens back to life with the Q!
02-08-2013, 04:32 PM   #558
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by stormtech Quote
Thinking more about how to get the most of my Q in the warmer months, I had the thought to look for a good deal on some "M" lenses. hnikesch showed some very nice examples with his M 135 3.5 in the reference thread.
The 135 f3.5 is my go to lens on the Q, not to hard to hand hold and small like the Q. I am on the lookout for others from 80 to 150 range on the cheap. The 200 and 300 are hard to focus and hand hold. The SMC-M 150mm f3.5 is on my radar and rated very well as is the SMC-M 100mm f2.8

Hans
02-08-2013, 04:37 PM   #559
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by hnikesch Quote
The 135 f3.5 is my go to lens on the Q, not to hard to hand hold and small like the Q. I am on the lookout for others from 80 to 150 range on the cheap. The 200 and 300 are hard to focus and hand hold. The SMC-M 150mm f3.5 is on my radar and rated very well as is the SMC-M 100mm f2.8

Hans
Hans - thanks for posting your results in the reference thread - it really helped in making my decision. My other reason for wanting an M or A lens is the nice long focus ring throw - it's just not the same with the newer AF lenses. Can't wait to try the 150 out on the Q.

02-08-2013, 04:51 PM   #560
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by hnikesch Quote
In a park in Punta Gorda are a pair of nesting Great Horned Owls, I only got a few shots of the chicks, parents were hiding. The city blocks off the site perimeter so I couldn't get too close. Q with DAL 55-300 @ 300 on a mono-pod,
Gorgeous shots Hans! Bet no one else got as close as you did!
02-08-2013, 05:02 PM   #561
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by crewl1 Quote
Gorgeous shots Hans! Bet no one else got as close as you did!
Yeah I saw a guy with a Nikon W/400mm and a guy getting out of his car with a Canon. I will be going back to try to improve my images, might have to buy a cheap tripod.

Hans
02-08-2013, 05:31 PM   #562
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Thinking more about how to get the most of my Q in the warmer months, I had the thought to look for a good deal on some "M" lenses. hnikesch showed some very nice examples with his M 135 3.5 in the reference thread. I will likely use my 300mm quite a bit to get that @#$% Kingfisher who resides across the river at around 75 yards, but for shooing the many ducks we have in the river, the 300mm might be almost too much, So I thought a 135mm or 150mm would be a nice compromise of which I don't own any lenses in that focal length. I usually shy away from ebay, but just ended up winning a very nice looking M 150 3.5 for a good price. I think this lens will be a nice focal length for the Q for shooting around 30-50 yards. It also feels good to bring an old classic lens back to life with the Q!
What about the ones in your sig?
100WR
50-135 DA*
60-250 DA*

We could use reviews on those last two.

02-08-2013, 05:36 PM   #563
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by crewl1 Quote
What about the ones in your sig?
100WR
50-135 DA*
60-250 DA*

We could use reviews on those last two.
The main reason is the longer throw of the focus ring on the M lenses - I feel I will have a better chance at nailing focus.

And I intend to do reviews for those lenses, but it's been winter since I got my first Q - just can't stand to be outside for any length of time to do any shooting.
02-08-2013, 05:41 PM   #564
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

for shooing the many ducks we have in the river, the 300mm might be almost too much, So I thought a 135mm or 150mm would be a nice compromise of which I don't own any lenses in that focal length.
I'd much rather use the DA* 300 on a DSLR than a 135 or 150 on the Q. Might have to crop just a little more, but the IQ is likely to be better, and the handling (including AF) much better. I guess I need to go drink some more Qool-Aid!
02-08-2013, 05:50 PM   #565
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Very nice owl pics Hans!

Hans - thanks for posting your results in the reference thread - it really helped in making my decision. My other reason for wanting an M or A lens is the nice long focus ring throw - it's just not the same with the newer AF lenses. Can't wait to try the 150 out on the Q.
Congrats on your new lens Stan!

For me it's not only the long throw, but also the very large focus ring.
Beats reaching out for the little one on a DA and most other AF lenses.
My 135/3.5 ring is firm, not tight but firm, so it holds focus well too.

Here's one from yesterday at the park.
This one with the 01.

And this one of the farthest house on the right, using the 135/3.5.
I was about 100 feet closer when this one was taken.
02-08-2013, 05:57 PM   #566
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

a very nice looking M 150 3.5
HAH!! I looked at that lens!!! Good 4 you
02-08-2013, 05:58 PM   #567
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

great owl shots - hope I'm so good!!
02-08-2013, 06:02 PM   #568
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by baro-nite Quote
I'd much rather use the DA* 300 on a DSLR than a 135 or 150 on the Q. Might have to crop just a little more, but the IQ is likely to be better, and the handling (including AF) much better. I guess I need to go drink some more Qool-Aid!
I keep saying I got he Q to do things I couldn't with my Kr & my P&S so I should limit my Q to my 55-300, Macro work and places that don't allow a DSLR's but that isn't any fun. More Qool-Aid

Hans
02-08-2013, 06:05 PM   #569
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by baro-nite Quote
Maybe I am off in my thinking or math, but....the DA*300 on the K-5 is a 420mm equivalent FL. The M 150 on the Q is a 825mm equivalent. Even thought I know I can heavily crop my FA*300 images, that's quite a bit cropping to equal 825mm. Anyway, it will be fun to do that exact comparison once the warmer weather comes. And for what I paid for the M150 it doesn't really matter which I use.

QuoteOriginally posted by robtcorl Quote
Very nice owl pics Hans!

Congrats on your new lens Stan!

For me it's not only the long throw, but also the very large focus ring.
Beats reaching out for the little one on a DA and most other AF lenses.
My 135/3.5 ring is firm, not tight but firm, so it holds focus well too.
Well that's how I feel also. I know when I am manually focusing with my DFA 100 2.8 WR, the feel is so "light" on the focus ring, I actually have to be conscience of how I remove my hand from the focus ring so I don't tweak it.

Another nice example with the M135 - I think the M150 is going to be a winner on the Q if I can obtain an image like the one you just posted!
02-08-2013, 06:10 PM   #570
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by monochrome Quote
HAH!! I looked at that lens!!! Good 4 you
It was really kind of spur of the moment. I very rarely buy camera gear on ebay - too much risk most of the time in my opinion. But I must have seen the lens a few days earlier and put it on my watch list. My wife (the ebay queen ) told me the lens I had on the watch list was going off in 30 minutes. So I looked at it again, figured up a price that I would be willing to pay, and locked in a snipe bid. Actually I was surprised that I got it.