Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-29-2012, 06:39 AM   #46
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Raider the focus is done with the 2x zoom assist on the q, there is no peaking.
I'm just starting out so am still in trial and error phase but have found that shading the LCD helps.
Some folks are using hood loupes for the LCD that I'm sure helps.
I'm finding that it can be a good birding tool but the targets have to be fairly static to allow time to focus and a solid support is needed.

Barondla thanks for the comments. It would be great to figure out a way to improve the sigma's performance but it may just not be up to the task.
The 60-250 sounds promising.

Shawn I look forward to seeing how the nikon 200 macro works for this application.

09-29-2012, 06:48 AM   #47
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Thanks Crew1...but how do you guys do the birds in flight thingy without AF and with only the 2x zoom assist? Is it that easy to do in the field?
09-29-2012, 07:00 AM   #48
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by barondla Quote
Is it fairly automated or does it require lots of work? Does it work well?
Just chipping in. As Shawn67 says, LR4's CA and purple-green fringing removal does indeed work very well, and is easy to use. It's not perfect, but is pretty impressive.
I almost gave up using my K 300/4, in particular, until LR4 came along.
09-29-2012, 09:22 AM   #49
Veteran Member

The bird in flight cannot be done with the Q and adapted lens (if you do get a BIF this way I suggest you buy a lottery ticket right away)

The BIF from my blue heron set was done with a K-5 + da*300

09-29-2012, 10:57 AM   #50
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by crewl1 Quote
The bird in flight cannot be done with the Q and adapted lens (if you do get a BIF this way I suggest you buy a lottery ticket right away)

The BIF from my blue heron set was done with a K-5 + da*300
Perhaps Pentax can add 'catch in focus' to the new adapter's firmware update.

Whazzat?

Oh, forget it, I was just dreaming...
09-29-2012, 10:57 AM   #51
Veteran Member

What a great thread!

You folks have really got my attention with the Q and long glass. Larry (crewl1), your shots with the DA*300 have me really thinking.

Without getting into the gory details, I have the real need for extended reach as I mostly shoot wildlife here at home but now have to be stationary when shooting. Basically I have to shoot from my deck or river bank without being able to move once I am setup with tripod and chair.

While I wouldn't even attempt shooting with the Q with the 600mm, the 300mm or 60-250 looks like it might be doable (lenses in sig). But, on the other hand, I don't want to enter into something that will be a source of total frustration.......

I have in my mind that a product like a Hoodman loupe for the LCD would be the way to go, but then feel that even touching the loupe while viewing through it would be a cause of unwanted vibration.

Also, has there been any news of a release date for the new Q-K adapter? I think that if I went forward with a Q I would just wait a little if need be to get that adapter.

I guess there really isn't a question in my ramblings - just kind of expressing my thoughts of possibly trying the Q as you folks here have successfully done.

Edit to add: as I am running this through my mind, it occurs to me that my Tamron Adaptall SP300 would make a nice dedicated lens for this project. Is there any reason I wouldn't be able to use this lens adapted to the Q?

Last edited by stormtech; 09-29-2012 at 01:35 PM.
09-29-2012, 02:23 PM   #52
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Does Photoshop have the same ca removal ability or is it only LR4? Could use this for some of my lenses.

Stormtech, welcome to the Q forum and hopefully soon Q ownership. To be a wldlife photographer, own the long lenses you do, and not own a Q "digital teleconverter" is darn near criminal.

You will only be frustrated if you have a hard time manually focusing on a lcd. Hood lupes can be used without problems. I just use a dark long bill hat to shade the lcd. Just don't skimp on a tripod. It needs to be the same you would use with your dslr and that lens. Join us and be prepred for fun.
thanks
barondla
09-29-2012, 03:58 PM   #53
Veteran Member

Thanks for the info barondla.

I'm pretty much convinced at this point. I would really like to use my Tamron Adapt all SP300 with the Q since the manual focusing is nice and precise with a decently long throw. It looks like the DA*300 lens is a great performer with the Q, but that lens is optimized for digital with the lens coatings. I wonder if using an older lens like the Tamron would give me an adverse effect. I know when you magnify as much as we are talking about, that magnification will also amplify any problems.

I thought using the Tamron lens would be a good choice also since it is a fast 2.8

09-29-2012, 04:59 PM   #54
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by stormtech Quote
I know when you magnify as much as we are talking about, that magnification will also amplify any problems.
Actually, there's no magnification. A 50mm lens will retain and express all the characteristics of a 50mm lens no matter what camera it's paired to. The illusion of magnification is really a "crop factor" determined by the camera sensor's area made available to in-coming light. All you are doing is using the size of the camera's sensor, not post-processing software, to crop the image. It's easy to confuse.

Cheers...
09-29-2012, 05:32 PM   #55
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Michaelina2 Quote
Actually, there's no magnification. A 50mm lens will retain and express all the characteristics of a 50mm lens no matter what camera it's paired to. The illusion of magnification is really a "crop factor" determined by the camera sensor's area made available to in-coming light. All you are doing is using the size of the camera's sensor, not post-processing software, to crop the image. It's easy to confuse.

Cheers...
Well that is interesting, and makes sense - thanks!
09-29-2012, 09:30 PM   #56
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Stormtech, the digital coatings might make some difference in IQ. Don't think it will be the biggest difference. The Q packs 12 million pixels in a very small space. This "pushes" the lens much harder than shooting on your K5. The biggest problem seems to be green/purple fringing around objects. Some lens have very little like the Pentax DA*300. Other lenses have more. You will have to try your lens to see how it does. Shawn67 and others use Lightroom 4 to reduce fringing. Don't let this worry you. I shoot non digital lenses on the Q with good results.

At least one of your lenses is a stellar performer with the Q. On another forum a man uses the Pentax 60-250 with great results. He said it was very close to the 300 in quality. Your Pentax 300 4.5 is supposed to be nice too (maybe a little more fringing than the 60-250).

Give the Q a try it will get you shots that are almost impossible to get any other way. It will take some work but it is worth it. And this work is fun.
thanks
barondla
09-30-2012, 01:42 PM   #57
Forum Member

I've just ordered my Q at an ex demo price of 210 in the UK. What do you guys think is the longest focal length lens that can be used hand held in decent light, as things stand without the SR?
09-30-2012, 02:04 PM   #58
Veteran Member

I've been able to do macro shots with the dfa100 in bright sun hand held.

I think 70 - 85 is not too much of a stretch if you have steady hands and the light is good.

The Pentax adapter should help with the jello effect due to the built in shutter.
09-30-2012, 04:23 PM   #59
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by dc1500 Quote
What do you guys think is the longest focal length lens that can be used hand held in decent light, as things stand without the SR?
My Q limit is the FA 77 (cf=423mm) for fairly consistent results using still subjects, or about the same as the DA 300 (cf=450) paired to a K-5. I have not attempted the DFA 100, but will do so soon.

Keep in mind... for me at least, the issue is more the 'all manual all the time' aspect of the work flow than the kit's weight. Getting all the variables to align properly takes some planning and skill. If the subject is active, I'd need to add a large serving of luck. Also, a lot depends on your physical conditioning, good body mechanics, steady nerves and knowing the camera's limits very well. Some may do better, but Hey, I'm over 70, so cut me some slack.

Cheers... M
09-30-2012, 10:53 PM - 1 Like   #60
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by dc1500 Quote
I've just ordered my Q at an ex demo price of 210 in the UK. What do you guys think is the longest focal length lens that can be used hand held in decent light, as things stand without the SR?
I got a rare opportunity to shoot a Red Tailed Hawk that had just grabbed a squirrel late last fall. I had just dropped off some shots at the local Nature Center at closing time (5 PM in Nov) and saw the Hawk swoop down and grab the squirrel. All I had with me was the Q and D FA 100 f2.8 Macro, and I did what I could hand held totally unsupported. I started out at @ 60 ft, and slowly stalked forward. The young hawk was busy with its prey, and I was able to get within about 30 ft before it took off. It was late in the afternoon, and in the woods, so the light was pretty low. These were shot at ISO 160 and 320, f2.8 and 1/100 - 1/160. I was shooting in Av priority, and fiddled with the ISO and Ev comp to vary the shutter speed while stalking hoping to get something usable. Out of @ 150 shots, 15 were okay (more than I had hoped for, actually -- most of the rejects were blurred from subject motion rather than unreasonable camera shake), so I PP'd them. I was using a Hoodman loupe, but had yet to discover the magnified Focusing Aid, so I struggled a bit with MF. Here are a few from the series.

The whole time I was wishing that I had my K-5 and FA* 300/4.5 so I'd have AF and higher ISO to work with, but was glad I had something since this was the first RTH feeding I'd ever been able to get this close to. These aren't great, but certainly within my limits of acceptability.

Scott