Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-13-2013, 06:09 PM   #586
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
A couple of birds with the DA*300.

This cormorant was making some interesting vocalizations but the wind noise masked it on the video. Will probably need a separate audio recorder and dead cat if I get serious about capturing these types of videos.

I think this is a Red Tailed Hawk?

02-13-2013, 06:13 PM   #587
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by stormtech Quote
No images to post yet - but received my M 135 3.5 today which I bought especially for the Q. I got very lucky with this ebay buy - lens is just like new and even came with its original hard case which was not listed in the auction. My original thoughts were correct in that the nice small size of the lens is nice and easy to hand hold even for me. And the beautiful smooth dampened long focus throw is sweet. This will be my 825mm gun to get those ducks in the middle of the river.
Hey mine looks just like yours. It is a pleasure to use and to carry around.

Hans
02-13-2013, 06:14 PM   #588
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by stormtech Quote
No images to post yet - but received my M 135 3.5 today which I bought especially for the Q. I got very lucky with this ebay buy - lens is just like new and even came with its original hard case which was not listed in the auction. My original thoughts were correct in that the nice small size of the lens is nice and easy to hand hold even for me. And the beautiful smooth dampened long focus throw is sweet. This will be my 825mm gun to get those ducks in the middle of the river.
Nice looking setup, very compact. hmmm, got me thinking, hmmmm
02-13-2013, 06:17 PM   #589
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Congrats on your 135/3.5 Stan, very nice setup too!

Great stills and videos Larry!
Makes me lust even more for the DA 300!

02-13-2013, 06:18 PM   #590
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by crewl1 Quote

This cormorant was making some interesting vocalizations but the wind noise masked it on the video. Will probably need a separate audio recorder and dead cat if I get serious about capturing these types of videos.
Great job on the videos Larry. Now I know I need to get a better tripod. And someday a good 300

Hans
02-13-2013, 06:33 PM   #591
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by crewl1 Quote

Just fantastic IQ Larry - and my favorite Cormorant to boot! I can see he was vocalizing but like you say the wind noise over ruled. It was still great to see him in action!

Looks like a Red-tailed Hawk, but can't be sure without his tail feathers in flight mode. Don't want to guess anymore than that since there are so many varieties and you are very far away from where I live. Red-tailed hawk sightings are daily around here.

You guys in So Cal are killing me - I've been cooped up inside for long enough - come on spring!!!
02-14-2013, 05:42 PM   #592
Forum Member

A couple more with the DA*300 then in the next post I have tried something a bit more critical. These not quite as good as my previous ones but the light was a bit flat and it is so easy not to nail the focus 100% (Well at my age anyway!)
Attached Images

02-14-2013, 05:53 PM   #593
Forum Member

With these shots I have shown the originals taken with the Q and 300mm DA* and with the Sigma 150-500 (at 440mm because I didn't notice it creep!). The Redshanks were pretty much at the same distance (one lot look closer because the tide comes in that much in the two minute gap) and the camera settings as close as possible. I then gave them the same pp and cropped them to get the birds the same sizes in the frame.
The results are again promising. While you could argue the SIgma has more detail (Although it may appear that way because of the magnified noise) the Q gives much more pleasing images. I should add they were shot in raw and although sharpened there has been no noise reduction. The difference is more obvious full screen.

Sigma Original
Redshanks Sigma 440 final orig.jpg

Q Original
Redshanks Q final orig.jpg

Sigma Cropped
Redshanks Sigma 440 cr.jpg

Q Cropped
Redshanks Q cr.jpg

Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-30  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX Q  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-30  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX Q  Photo 
02-14-2013, 06:09 PM   #594
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by dc1500 Quote
The results are again promising. While you could argue the SIgma has more detail (Although it may appear that way because of the magnified noise) the Q gives much more pleasing images.
Agreed, the Q file is better. It has room for more sharpening if you want, not that it's necessary. The Sigma file has higher contrast, which also increases the perception of sharpness.
02-16-2013, 06:17 AM   #595
Forum Member

Goldfinch with the Q, cheap adaptor and Pentax DA*300mm. Still learning and still to paint the adaptor.

02-16-2013, 06:48 AM   #596
Forum Member

It's pretty good though Alan isn't it!
02-16-2013, 12:23 PM   #597
Pentaxian

Q adapter paint job

I went with regular enamel flat black - small can of Rustoleum from Kmart and spread it evenly with an art paint brush. Best to use a decent small brush as the cheap ones shed hairs easily. Be sure to paint it in good light so you know you've hit the entire surface. This just seems a lot cleaner and more economical than spray paint. Even working very carefully, takes less 10 minutes. The little can will last a long time, and will likely come in handy for various touch ups around the house.
02-16-2013, 12:57 PM   #598
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by ScooterMaxi Jim Quote
I went with regular enamel flat black - small can of Rustoleum from Kmart and spread it evenly with an art paint brush. Best to use a decent small brush as the cheap ones shed hairs easily. Be sure to paint it in good light so you know you've hit the entire surface. This just seems a lot cleaner and more economical than spray paint. Even working very carefully, takes less 10 minutes. The little can will last a long time, and will likely come in handy for various touch ups around the house.
Thanks for that info. I had decided yesterday to go with the brush on paint - just have to wait until the next trip to town to pick up the paint.
02-16-2013, 02:31 PM   #599
Forum Member

Here in the UK I used one from a Kmart type shop called Wilkinsons. It was water based and gave an incredible flat black that didn't show the brush marks. Very durable and scratch proof as well which surprised me but I guess paint technology has come a long way since my model making days as a kid! Trouble is I now have 249ml of 250ml left!
Dave
02-16-2013, 03:23 PM   #600

QuoteOriginally posted by dc1500 Quote
Here in the UK I used one from a Kmart type shop called Wilkinsons. It was water based and gave an incredible flat black that didn't show the brush marks. Very durable and scratch proof as well which surprised me but I guess paint technology has come a long way since my model making days as a kid! Trouble is I now have 249ml of 250ml left!
Dave
Speaking of model making days, I remember I used to use clear flat paint over gloss when I couldn't find the color in flat. I think I'm going to try to find some of that and use it instead of flat black. That way if I mess up it's just clear paint.