Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 179 Likes Search this Thread
02-21-2013, 03:42 PM   #631
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by hnikesch Quote
I think the owls are about to fly and I might never get to shoot them again.. Last shots maybe, DAL 55-300 Fotodiox adapter plus LCD hood eye piece and a shaky Wallyworld temp tripod.

Hans
Outstanding Hans!!!

02-21-2013, 05:32 PM   #632
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Super shots Hans!
Always happy to see a lens that I own being used, and performing so well.
02-24-2013, 01:57 PM   #633
Inactive Account

surprising reach with 200mm adapted lens!
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
ZTE  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX Q  Photo 
02-24-2013, 02:30 PM   #634
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by 7SeasAtLeast Quote
surprising reach with 200mm adapted lens!
That lens does look good, can you tell us a little more about the lens, looked like you had it set at f5.6??? When you find the best settings for the lens put a post on the adapted lens thread in the sticky on the Q lead page. Check out the other post for the type of info people are looking for.

Hans

02-24-2013, 02:46 PM   #635
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I have posted this elsewhere, but this thread is very appropriate to cross-post the reach of the Q.
In camera jpeg, with minimal one step 'enhancement' in PP. Taken with 80-200 macro Vivitar. The buildings are ten miles as the crow flies. On the original you would be able to see if someone was on a balcony. To be able to pick a figure over that distance is remarkable.

02-25-2013, 06:27 AM   #636
Veteran Member

I recently purchased a viewfinder loupe for my Q.
Thanks to the fine members here for recommending it.
Mine has enough adjustment for the frame to clear the buttons, but I plan to 'adjust' it more in the future.
It has helped me not only with focus, but also to steady the camera for handhelds.

Neighbors chimney with the 01 lens.

jpeg from camera, Fotodiox adapter with stick-on felt inside, Pentax M 135/3.5, handheld.
ISO: 250
Exposure: 1/1250 sec
Aperture: 5.6
Focal Length: 135mm

crop.

Maybe not great examples, but thought it might help those on the fence about buying the loupe.
I use it 'left-eyed' so I can see the tiny green button with my right eye.
02-25-2013, 06:39 AM   #637
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by robtcorl Quote
I recently purchased a viewfinder loupe for my Q.
Thanks to the fine members here for recommending it.
Yeah, a viewfinder loupe transforms the Q into a whole different camera - makes hand-holding so much more steady. And even though I mostly use a tripod for all my shooting, I find the viewfinder a big plus also as it helps me with manual focusing.

02-25-2013, 04:14 PM   #638

A few shots with the Nikon 500m f4p, all uncropped. I used an IR remote to trigger the shots.

Shawn
02-25-2013, 07:37 PM   #639
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Shawn they look good. The first two have a little motion blur?
02-26-2013, 04:21 PM   #640

Probably a little, esp. in the head as it kept turning it around. Shutter speed was around 1/120 of a second which is low for an effective FOV of 2750mm.

Shawn
02-26-2013, 04:33 PM   #641
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Looks more like camera shake to me. With that kind of reach many tripods just aren't stable enough for slower shutter speeds.
02-26-2013, 11:00 PM   #642
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Moon over Arizona with Sigma 400/5.6

Tried shooting the moon tonight for 1st time with the 400mm Sigma (non APO), mounted on one of those $99 Chinese Gimbals and a sturdy tripod; shake was still a big problem. The detail is nowhere near some of the moon pics taken with the Q that I've seen around here. Any tips on how to improve on this would be appreciated.

02-26-2013, 11:54 PM   #643
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by akptc Quote
Tried shooting the moon tonight for 1st time with the 400mm Sigma (non APO), mounted on one of those $99 Chinese Gimbals and a sturdy tripod; shake was still a big problem. The detail is nowhere near some of the moon pics taken with the Q that I've seen around here. Any tips on how to improve on this would be appreciated.
Did you shoot it wide open? If yes, try closing it a stop to see if it gets any sharper.

Play with the ISO a bit if needed to keep shutter speed in a good range, if you start to get noise you could try going to a B/W to hide it some.

Depending on the atmosphere some of the lack of clarity could be stuff in the air too.

You could also try a little more aggressive PP sharpening too.

Keep trying, it already looks very good.
02-27-2013, 05:51 AM   #644
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Shake is indeed a big problem with long lenses on the Q. If you don't have the Remote F, get one; that way you can wait for shake to subside before clicking.

Also, the best contrast is along the "Terminator" (line between light and shadow). Try shooting the crescent moon. Shoot when the moon is well away from the horizon to reduce the amount of atmosphere you're shooting through.
02-27-2013, 09:53 AM   #645
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Thank you guys for the advice and encouragement. I used a wireless remote to trigger the shutter but perhaps didn't wait long enough for the lens to stop shaking completely. Plus, the v. short reach of the wireless remote got me bumping into the camera a lot.

As far as stopping down, I tried it at +/-5.6 (wide open), at 8, 11, 16 and this is the best I got. Clearly, I need to experiment more with the aperture. Still not quite sure what PK-Q adapter (Fotodiox) does with a lens that has its own aperture ring, do I leave it on Open?

I will definitely wait for the moon to climb higher before my next attempt. And, so many other lenses to try

It does look a wee bit better in b&w, I think