Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-25-2013, 06:11 AM   #766
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by ivoire Quote
Nice capture! I tried iso125 but couldn't get the planet to show up no matter what i did. Last night was the first semi-clear nite in weeks. perhaps that was the problem (or my frozen fingers). It is supposed to be clear and warmer soon and i intend to make another attempt.
Thanks, the sky was clear here and it was a reasonable way of the horizon where the city is for me.
Like i said I was surprised how bright it was.
Jupiter was more easily visible 2 weeks ago here near the moon but I didn't have my Q-K adapter then.

Just downloaded the "Stellarium" program, it's brilliant ! Thanks for the link. +1 I wished I'd seen it 2 hours ago.

04-25-2013, 07:33 AM   #767

Thanks

QuoteOriginally posted by barondla Quote
Welcome to the Q and this forum. It takes some practice to master any ultra telephoto kit. Even more so with the Q. Post some of your shots so we can see your results. Things I find helpful:

1. Paint or flock the inside of the adapter. Paint should be good quality like Rust-O-Leum or Krylon flat black. Killing reflections in the adapter can make a huge diference. Especially on older lenses.

2. Shoot the lowest ISO possible.

3. Set noise reduction to lowest.

4. Check out all the Q focusing aids to see what works for you. Try lcd magnification and focus peaking. You must do firmware update to get focus peaking. There are also firmware updates for the Q 01 and 02 lenses.

5. Use self timer or wireless remote.

6. Use a bigger, stronger tripod than you think is needed.

7. Shoot Raw.

8. Try different aperture settings on lens. Most lenses seem their sharpest at F4-5.6 on the Q. Q pushes a lens hard. Find your best aperture.

9. Play with sharpening in the supplied Pentax Silkypix software. Don't over sharpen.

10. Practice, practice, practice!
thanks
barondla
Thanks for the tips barondla, I'm just curious about the noise reduction. It seems the only settings are Auto, low, and high. Would auto be fine if I kept the ISO low?
04-25-2013, 07:46 AM   #768
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by steve1307 Quote
I'm in Sydney AUS, I looked where to find Saturn on google and then on www.calsky.com.

It said tonight it would be somewhere near the full moon and easist to pick out before all the stars became visible.
I just looked for the brightest thing close to the moon and there it was.
(With the sun aligned showing us full moon then if Saturn is in a similar position in the sky then it will also be lit well by the Sun I guess.)

I was surprised how bright it was. using DA*300 / AFA1.7x @ f 6.7
I started off at ISO 1600 1/50 and got a whit blob, speeding up to 1/800sec the shape of grainy Saturn was defined. I quickly realised with the shutter speeds i was getting i could go right down to ISO125 and about 1/40. for much less noise.

shot DNG, Heavily cropped of course (about 3:2) . Some adjustment of clarity slider only in LR4.

Just like the moon shots posted above, my Saturn is upside down to yours.
Wow! Very cool.
04-25-2013, 10:21 AM   #769
Veteran Member

Wow really like the astro photos of the planet! good work everyone.

04-25-2013, 10:28 AM   #770
Veteran Member

Howie Mandel, shot using the DFA100WR on the Q. ISO 3200, F4, 1/125
@ LA Convention Center West Hall, I was about 300 feet away. Cropped a little for composition, LR4 noise reduction and purple fringe removal.

04-25-2013, 05:20 PM   #771
Forum Member

QuoteOriginally posted by steve1307 Quote
I'm in Sydney AUS, I looked where to find Saturn on google and then on www.calsky.com.

It said tonight it would be somewhere near the full moon and easist to pick out before all the stars became visible.
I just looked for the brightest thing close to the moon and there it was.
(With the sun aligned showing us full moon then if Saturn is in a similar position in the sky then it will also be lit well by the Sun I guess.)

I was surprised how bright it was. using DA*300 / AFA1.7x @ f 6.7
I started off at ISO 1600 1/50 and got a whit blob, speeding up to 1/800sec the shape of grainy Saturn was defined. I quickly realised with the shutter speeds i was getting i could go right down to ISO125 and about 1/40. for much less noise.

shot DNG, Heavily cropped of course (about 3:2) . Some adjustment of clarity slider only in LR4.

Just like the moon shots posted above, my Saturn is upside down to yours.
Wow, that's AWESOME!!
04-26-2013, 10:40 AM   #772
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by MariusCTM Quote
hey guys, on my pentax q, on movie menu, i can't set SR to ON position! Why?
I'm using 01 lens, and the last firmware both for lens and for camera.
help!
you may have remote mode or the 2sec. timer set to on

Hans
04-26-2013, 10:42 AM   #773
Forum Member

QuoteOriginally posted by hnikesch Quote
you may have remote mode or the 2sec. timer set to on

Hans
it was the da... remote!
thanks Hans!

04-27-2013, 11:03 PM - 1 Like   #774
Veteran Member

Cormorants - photo is with Sigma 70-200 OS @ f4, and video is with DA*300 @ f5.6
Kids can be such a pain in the neck.

04-28-2013, 02:14 PM   #775
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
Great video Larry. That 300 does a great job

Hans
04-28-2013, 02:48 PM   #776
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by crewl1 Quote
Cormorants - photo is with Sigma 70-200 OS @ f4, and video is with DA*300 @ f5.6
]
What a great Cormorant portrait! I don't know why, but to see the webbed feet wrapped around the branch is just amazing along with having claws at the end.

Great video also - what an aggressive youngster.

Thanks Larry - you know I love the Cormorant shots!
04-29-2013, 04:41 PM   #777
Veteran Member

My best shot of the moon with the Pentax Q + Kenko 1.5x PZAF + Pentax DA* 300mm F4 setup. It was actually shot through a thin cloud so I'm more than surprised!

04-29-2013, 04:47 PM   #778
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by stormtech Quote
What a great Cormorant portrait! I don't know why, but to see the webbed feet wrapped around the branch is just amazing along with having claws at the end. Great video also - what an aggressive youngster. Thanks Larry - you know I love the Cormorant shots!
QuoteOriginally posted by hnikesch Quote
Great video Larry. That 300 does a great job Hans
Thanks Hans and Stan

QuoteOriginally posted by VisualDarkness Quote
My best shot of the moon with the Pentax Q + Kenko 1.5x PZAF + Pentax DA* 300mm F4 setup. It was actually shot through a thin cloud so I'm more than surprised!
Very nice Andreas, the colors are interesting.
04-29-2013, 04:55 PM   #779
Veteran Member

CormorantChick - YouTube
Finally Youtube let me watch the video in something better than 320 and what an energetic video! You should really title yourself a "nature videographer".
Very nice Andreas, the colors are interesting.
I boosted the colors in PP expecting to only find false ones but to my surprise the true ones where there! I had to deal with some prism color-like CA and dots that I suspect were due to the cloud.
05-03-2013, 06:50 PM - 2 Likes   #780
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Timithybobw, I use the Q noise reduction on low to make sure the camera doesn't pick high. Who knows, on auto it may be able to turn noise reduction totally off and perform better- doubt it. Sorry it took a while to answer. Hope you are enjoying the Q.

Crewl1, your Cormorant video is great. Captures these wonderful birds perfectly. Your results keep reminding me to try video. Will give it a go this season.

VisualDarkness, that is a super moon shot. Like the enhanced color. Clouds don't seem to have bothered the results any. I have that teleconverter. Haven't used it much with the DA*300 and the Q. That will be rectified now that the eagles are back.

A new pair of eagles at a differnt location. Pentax Q, Pentax DA*300, Pentax Q-PK adapter, Pentax red dot RD10. Shot at #1 setting on adapter (f5.6).
thanks
barondla
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX Q  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX Q  Photo