Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-08-2012, 11:05 AM   #76
Site Supporter

DA* 50-135mm at 135mm ƒ/2.8 (approximately 750mm equivalent with an ƒ/2.8 exposure). 1/100 sec. Sensitivity was around ISO 700. Uncropped. Braced on my knee.

*edited to add*
I also didn't feel like a weirdo amongst the other parents because the lens (without hood) plus body is relatively small for such huge reach. Having owned the Pentax 500mm ƒ/4.5, I can say with certainty that other people notice huge lenses and give funny looks.

Attached Images

Last edited by Aegon; 10-08-2012 at 01:06 PM.
10-08-2012, 11:52 AM   #77
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Amazing shots!
10-10-2012, 01:46 PM   #78
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I like that spider Shawn, looks like the 200 is going to work out great. Wondering how it will work telephoto applications.

Michaelina the Tak output looks great. Does it have a tripod foot or was this hand held?
10-10-2012, 01:49 PM   #79
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Indiana Jones and the Temple of Doom (hummingbird version)

Pentax Q + DFA100WR, a bit of exposure bump, sharpen and clarity in LR4.2

Last edited by crewl1; 10-10-2012 at 02:56 PM.
10-10-2012, 02:24 PM   #80
Veteran Member

Is the grain in the 400mm noise?
10-10-2012, 02:50 PM   #81
Veteran Member

It looks like noise that was corrected by in camera noise control (I see it was shot at iso 800).
10-13-2012, 04:49 AM   #82

Nice shot but I guess the comparison that really matters is less the original prime but the Tak shot on the DSLR cropped to the same size as the Q shot with the Tak. If they are the same or the Q is worse then the advantages are reduced. Just a thought.

10-13-2012, 05:19 AM   #83
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by dc1500 Quote
Nice shot but I guess the comparison that really matters is less the original prime but the Tak shot on the DSLR cropped to the same size as the Q shot with the Tak. If they are the same or the Q is worse then the advantages are reduced. Just a thought.
I've seen a couple of comparisons of moonshots and bird photos with DA300 and one thing that was consistent was that the Q ones looked better, well if you like "pixel art" the K-5 was better.
Dunno about the Takumar though.
10-17-2012, 10:33 AM   #84

I have my Q now and am debating which adapter to get for my telephoto shots. It's so interesting reading this stuff. I will get carried away and probably have already but I must try and bring some rationality to my wildlife photography. So, thinking out loud I mainly use my K-r with a 150-500 Sigma. This works well and I know my upgrade route for DSLR. So why do I want this. Well I suppose extended reach and portability (weight reduction) are the main reason. But I will need my tripod with me and I figure I am only going to get shots with more than 500mm reach with fairly static birds. Also I previously used a (a few years back) a Panasonic Bridge camera. Which makes me wonder how all this really competes with the new Panasonic DMC FZ200. It has 600mm at f2.8 all the way. It can be extended a bit and in fact I had an Olympus telecon converter on my previous one which wasn't bad. I reckon I could hand hold that most of t he time for a 1000mm in good light. Still if the Q doesn't hack it for this, what a great little camera I will still have!
Dave
Flickr: dcweather's Photostream
10-17-2012, 05:41 PM   #85
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
dc1500, glad you got a Q. Now you are finding how much fun it is to own and use. The Q is one of the most fun cameras around!

The Panas can do some amazing things with their long fast zooms. The Panasonic might bring some things to the table that the Q does not. We won't know untill Pentax makes their Q firmware update(or not) policies known. Either way, don't think the Q has any thing to worry about. At 600 2.8 the Pana is really just getting into Q range. Granted the Oly adapter can stretch it to 1000. Hard to believe that optical quality matches a killer lens like a Pentax 200 2.8. Even if the pana manages this it falls short of the Q and the Pentax DA*300( ef 1650). Look at all the people using that combo or even bigger. The Q is in a whole different range.

The adapter question is simple. Buy the Pentax if you have Pentax mount lenses and the extra coin. The shutter will help stop motion without Jello effect and allow handheld macro shooting with flash. If you decide on the non Pentax made adapters there maybe some modifications you need to do. If the tripod adapter is held on with two tiny screws, remove the tripod mount and re-attach using some type of glue like JB Weld. If the inside of the adapter is not flat black paint it.

Good luck with your Q. It will take some effort but you will be rewarded. The Q puts craft back into photography. Post some Q pics.
thanks
barondla
10-18-2012, 01:10 AM   #86

Morning Barondla - well just ordered the DA* 300 from UK Amazon on an offer for £585 GBP ! I've been waiting to get this for some time for my DSLR. I now have most corners covered. Need to sell some other lenses and bits now to fund all this! Thanks for your advice,
Dave
10-18-2012, 03:37 AM   #87
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Wow dc1500. Ordering the 300 is a big step. Haven't found a better lens for the Q. I am a lazy cheapskate so would have probably tried your Sigma before springing for the DA*. The rear element digital coatings must be awesome on the 300 because with the flairy aftermarket adapter my pics are good. With the Sigma 50-500 the white haze was unusable at anything over 400. Friends had that problem with other lenses. After painting the inside of the adapter ( thanks for the nuidge crewl1) the lenses are totally fine. Need to borrow the bigma again.

Make sure you get the Pentax weatherproof wireless remote to have " constant mirror lockup". One of the great advantages of the Q is no camera vibration when using long lenses. Never realized how bad this was with dslr's and I always tried to practice the no shot between 1/4-1/60 range.

For really long lenses the Pentax red dot scope and after market adapter are incredible to use ( thanks snostorm). Many people also use a magnifying lupe on the rear lcd to aid focusing and block the sun. Just built a cheap cardboard cover to block the sun.
thanks
barondla

ps you are about to get extreme wildlife images you never dreamed of before!
10-18-2012, 04:04 AM   #88

Thanks, you and a couple of others have been a great help. I would have always got the DA*300 at that almost half price deal as I have borrowed one for my K-r before and also had some success with it with my Kenko 1.5X AF teleconverter. (Yes, I'm one of the lucky ones with all the contacts). What I will have to do now is see how that combo compares in the field with the K-r and decide if I still need the Bigma. The Q was an irresistable aside when I saw your stuff and at £200 it was worth the risk even though I was planning (and still am) upgrading to the K5 or K30. Now I will have to part with some of those lovely Takumars, Chinons and Adaptalls that I have to fund all this!
Dave
10-18-2012, 08:03 AM   #89
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Congrats DC1500 on the DA*300, it is a lovely lens both native on a K-DSLR as well as on the end of a Q.

I'm also curious if you get a chance to test the Q with the 150-500 to see what kind of quality it can output.

FYI I bought the Fotodiox adapter as a stopgap until the Pentax adapter comes out. It does the job for now but I plan to get the Pentax adapter once it is available.
Amazon.com: Fotodiox Lens Mount Adapter w/ Aperture Dial, Pentax K/PK Lens to Pentax Q-Series Camera, fits Pentax Q Mirrorless Cameras: Camera & Photo
10-18-2012, 08:16 AM   #90

QuoteOriginally posted by crewl1 Quote
Congrats DC1500 on the DA*300, it is a lovely lens both native on a K-DSLR as well as on the end of a Q.

I'm also curious if you get a chance to test the Q with the 150-500 to see what kind of quality it can output.

FYI I bought the Fotodiox adapter as a stopgap until the Pentax adapter comes out. It does the job for now but I plan to get the Pentax adapter once it is available.
Amazon.com: Fotodiox Lens Mount Adapter w/ Aperture Dial, Pentax K/PK Lens to Pentax Q-Series Camera, fits Pentax Q Mirrorless Cameras: Camera & Photo
I feel with all the other outlay the Pentax one will be too expensive, for now at least. The Fotodiox is the one I would like to get but Amazon UK doesn't seem to have it although Fotodiox have others on there. I sent Fotodiox an email to see if they would supply it in the UK but they didn't reply.
Dave