Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by buly Quote
Last nights moon
Nice work buly. What lens did you use?
08-07-2014, 01:31 PM   #1023

QuoteOriginally posted by crewl1 Quote
Nice work buly. What lens did you use?
Thanks... its an m42 mount lens Quantaray 70-210mm f/4.0-f/5.6 Zoom Lens w/ Macro Focusalso had a 2x converter on it.

Last edited by buly; 08-07-2014 at 01:45 PM.
08-12-2014, 06:46 AM   #1024
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
I missed the full moon Sunday due to overcast, but went out last night to take pictures. There was lightning very close to the moon, but unfortunately it had moved before I got set up, and I ended up just getting some wider angle shots with lighting and the moon (using my K-3).

I then started taking pictures of the moon with my DA* 300 + Q10. I realized there was a flight path right in front, and i was thinking it would be really cool to get a picture of a plane in front of the moon. I then saw a plane that seemed to have the perfect trajectory. I verified everything and low and behold - the plane flew right in front of the moon. And OF COURSE my IR remote wouldn't trigger the Q10, and I missed it by half a second Oh - what could have been

Of course even if the camera had responded, chance of the plane being right where it needed would be pretty small. ALso I am not sure the 1/200 sec shutter speed would have been fast enough to freeze the plane. I switched to my K-3, and set to hight speed, but every plane after that was way wide.

08-12-2014, 07:10 AM   #1025
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by HenrikDK Quote
And OF COURSE my IR remote wouldn't trigger the Q10, and I missed it by half a second
Bother. I have had many a frustrating miss from the same cause. I suppose everyone in this thread has.
08-12-2014, 07:49 PM - 2 Likes   #1026
Veteran Member

So here is my missed shot of the year - this is the exhaust of the plane that I missed last night - now if only the Q could do High speed in Raw (say 5 pictures per sec) I might have caught it. Ricoh - are you listening?!
Attached Images

08-12-2014, 09:55 PM   #1027
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
HenrikDk, nice moon shot. If you got a shot of the aircraft, you could combine them in post processing. Sometimes I wonder if my Q has a rear remote sensor. Seems like it is hooked to an inner roulette wheel. You just never know when there will be a winner.

If you put Q on bracketing and set it to +- .03 the Q will shoot 3 shots Raw very quickly.

thanks for sharing
barondla

08-12-2014, 10:47 PM   #1028
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by barondla Quote
HenrikDk, nice moon shot. If you got a shot of the aircraft, you could combine them in post processing. Sometimes I wonder if my Q has a rear remote sensor. Seems like it is hooked to an inner roulette wheel. You just never know when there will be a winner.

If you put Q on bracketing and set it to +- .03 the Q will shoot 3 shots Raw very quickly.

thanks for sharing
barondla
Good info.
08-13-2014, 08:27 PM   #1029
Veteran Member

I'll throw a moon shot in too:

Pentax Q, k-q adapter, Promaster 1.7x tc, Sigma 400 F5.6 - equivalent to 3808mm

08-13-2014, 11:21 PM   #1030
Veteran Member

Everything east of Copernicus is in focus but the west isn't. i kind of see this a lot. What's the deal? Does it have to do with angle of incidence? It's a cool shot nonetheless. I wish my 55-300mm could do this.
08-14-2014, 12:20 AM - 2 Likes   #1031
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

You never heard that Pink Floyd album 'The Blurry Side of the Moon?'
08-14-2014, 03:06 AM   #1032
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Moon shots always look sharpest along the terminator because of the much higher contrast.
08-14-2014, 05:31 AM   #1033
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by MD Optofonik Quote
Everything east of Copernicus is in focus but the west isn't. i kind of see this a lot. What's the deal? Does it have to do with angle of incidence? It's a cool shot nonetheless. I wish my 55-300mm could do this.
When you focus (as I am sure you know if you tried it) the moon is just a big white blown-out blob on the LCD screen. I can see a little bit of of texture around the edge - sometimes - but that is the only place you have anything to focus on. Also the focus is extremly sensitive. When i did it the other day I was actually wondering if the field-of-depth were narrow enough that the front of the moon might be a little out of focus. I dismissed it since I just assumed the distance was great enough the whole moon would be in focus, but maybe not? Even if you backfocus slightly I have a hard time imagining the front of the moon would be out of focus, while the side is not.
08-14-2014, 09:15 AM   #1034
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by HenrikDK Quote
When you focus (as I am sure you know if you tried it) the moon is just a big white blown-out blob on the LCD screen. I can see a little bit of of texture around the edge - sometimes - but that is the only place you have anything to focus on. Also the focus is extremly sensitive. When i did it the other day I was actually wondering if the field-of-depth were narrow enough that the front of the moon might be a little out of focus. I dismissed it since I just assumed the distance was great enough the whole moon would be in focus, but maybe not? Even if you backfocus slightly I have a hard time imagining the front of the moon would be out of focus, while the side is not.
That has been my thought whenever I've tried as well.
08-14-2014, 09:55 AM   #1035
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Good point; the moon may be very distant but then it's a rather large object. Distance from earth to moon is roughly 250 times the moon's radius.

However, if that were the issue in the photo above, you would see a sharp band on the left side of the moon also (same distance as the right side). Whereas in fact you can see cyan fringing in many places, suggesting a simple case of slightly missed focus.