Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-14-2014, 10:48 AM   #1036
Lens Buying Addict

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Does it help at all to adjust the LCD brightness way down (to the left with the slider)?

08-14-2014, 11:06 AM   #1037
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
I was able to focus on the moon without it being a bright blob. The exposure was set based on the moon, and I zoomed in to 4x to get the focus based on the edge of the moon (seeing when the green/magenta disappeared).
08-17-2014, 12:08 AM   #1038
Site Supporter

If the moon is not at infinity, then the infinity setting would never be used on earth.
08-17-2014, 07:03 AM   #1039
Site Supporter

Original Poster
How to focus the moon with the Q.

Focusing the moon is tough because mirrorless cameras are designed improperly. At least the Q, K-01, and Olympus EPL-1 are. Mirrorless cameras adjust the lcd brightness to the scene, to make up for their poor viewing dynamic range vs an optical viewfinder. This is fine for auto modes and standard subjects. The moon is not standard- witness the problems cameras have with exposure, unless the moon fills a large part of the frame. Mirrorless cameras are making the same mistake when setting the lcd image brightness.

Mirrorless cameras should be designed to show the screen as you have set it on manual exposure mode. Then there would be no problem. Knowing the proper moon exposure follows the Sunny 16 Rule, the moon would not be blown out when focusing and shooting in manual exposure mode.

THE FIX

Set the Q metering mode to spot meter and keep the spot on the moon. The lcd will show a properly exposed moon for focusing. It is difficult to keep the moon in the center of the frame. It will move out of the spot meter area Quickly, turning back to a white blob.

I haven't tried it yet, but it may be possible to use exposure lock to shoot the moon when it is off center. Will have to test it. Now if the sky would clear off.
Hope this helps
barondla
The Q is fun!

Last edited by barondla; 08-17-2014 at 08:26 AM.
08-18-2014, 04:18 AM   #1040
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by barondla Quote
Focusing the moon is tough
It is at infinity. Just set the lens to infinity, manually if necessary.
08-18-2014, 04:50 AM   #1041
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Just setting a long lens to infinity will not always work. Especially adapted lenses 200mm and bigger. The infinity mark on longer lenses is an approximation. The true infinity setting varies with temp. Notice the longer the focal length, the more the lens focuses past infinity. This makes sure the lens can reach infinity focus at all times. You are correct, the moon is at infinity. The problem is getting the lens set to infinity.
thanks
barondla
08-18-2014, 06:59 AM   #1042
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by arnold Quote
It is at infinity. Just set the lens to infinity, manually if necessary.
Seems logical, but definitely does not work on my Q10/DA*300. You may get something that is useable, but useable vs great is not the same as I have found out taking lots of these....

Not sure why - maybe lenses are set to be able to go past infinity due to difference in heat, compensate for cameras etc. I took some using autofocus on my K-3 and they did not come out well - not focused correctly. Mind you, I did set focus compensation but that was for something much closer than infinity. Usually I try to use live view for critical focus.
08-25-2014, 08:41 AM - 4 Likes   #1043
Loyal Site Supporter

I haven't replaced my Adapter Q so am still having occasional problems with it. Seems to be more of an issue with the IR remote (I should probably change the battery in the remote -- it is often difficult to get the Q to fire with it), so contrary to my usual habit I shot these in the normal drive mode with the shutter release button on the camera, SR enabled (camera was on a tripod but with the head not locked down tight). I was really pleased with how well the SR performed and will try shooting this way more often, at least in good light.

Yellow-crowned Night Heron (juvenile):

shaking out after a successful hunt

posing

08-25-2014, 05:59 PM   #1044
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Baro-nite, great images. Especially like the first shot. Super captures.

think everyone has trouble with the rear remote sensor. Wish Pentax would improve this.
thanks
barondla
08-25-2014, 06:25 PM   #1045
Loyal Site Supporter

Thanks barondla. Should have mentioned these were with the DA*300.
09-01-2014, 11:49 AM - 3 Likes   #1046
Veteran Member

Went to Brooklyn Zoo, and tried my new Q7 (upgraded from the Q10!) with the DA* 300mm.
Attached Images

09-01-2014, 06:47 PM   #1047
Loyal Site Supporter

Brooklyn Zoo

These are great! Am I right in assuming you used a tripod? A 135 is about as big as I can hold steady with the Q.
09-01-2014, 07:43 PM   #1048
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by baro-nite Quote
haven't replaced my Adapter Q so am still having occasional problems with it. Seems to be more of an issue with the IR remote (I should probably change the battery in the remote -- it is often difficult to get the Q to fire with it), so contrary to my usual habit I shot these in the normal drive mode with the shutter release button on the camera, SR enabled (camera was on a tripod but with the head not locked down tight). I was really pleased with how well the SR performed and will try shooting this way more often, at least in good light.
Excellent shots! My adapter acts up every once in a while. I can't quite determine a consistent scenario so until I do I will just keep shooting with it.

---------- Post added 09-01-14 at 07:44 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by HenrikDK Quote
Went to Brooklyn Zoo, and tried my new Q7 (upgraded from the Q10!) with the DA* 300mm.
Very good results, the lion in black and white looks great. How do you like the Q7 vs the 10?
09-01-2014, 08:12 PM   #1049
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Mikesul Quote
These are great! Am I right in assuming you used a tripod? A 135 is about as big as I can hold steady with the Q.
Absolutely. Tripod, with 2 second timer. The DA* 300mm is a great lens and - relatively - produces better results on the Q than any of the other lenses I have tried. But getting sharp picture requires tripod and plenty of patience to get the focus right. Much harder than the 300mm on a k-3. However, it is fun and really nice when it works out..

Btw, I am strong believer in using tripod whenever I can. I have compared handheld vs tripod shots using a 31mm in good light and the results were noticeable different when pixel peeping

---------- Post added 09-01-14 at 08:33 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by crewl1 Quote
Very good results, the lion in black and white looks great. How do you like the Q7 vs the 10?
Not sure yet how much better it is. The difference in crop makes it a little harder to do direct comparisons. Very pleased with it so far, but I liked the Q10 too...

Last edited by HenrikDK; 09-01-2014 at 08:34 PM.
10-08-2014, 04:26 PM   #1050
Pentaxian

Another one of those "reach" shots.

560mm scope at 73x magnification at a distance of 900 feet. The truck is in the full scale shot but its so small the pic can hardly resolve it. About in the center of frame.

Thought I would add something you could actually see in the full scale shot.
Campaign sign and 100 percent crop of small (about 3/8" high) type at bottom of sign.

Last edited by wildman; 10-12-2014 at 06:13 AM.