Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home
 

Reply
Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-19-2014, 11:47 AM   #1081
Pentaxian
Rimfiredude's Avatar

Join Date: Oct 2014
Location: Washington
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 2,177
A comparison shot. Original jpeg from 600 Sigma Mirror Lens on a K10D. I did a simple HRD and sharpened in Photoshop. Not too terrible for a crappy lens.

Attached Images
 
11-19-2014, 11:51 AM   #1082
Loyal Site Supporter
pacerr's Avatar

Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Henry, TN
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 2,910
Q + 500mm

First exploratory shoot with Q + Adaptall-2 SP 500/8 (55B). IQ OOC.

Target distance approximately 22 ft/7 M.

Motion blur is a real issue at 2800mm mag -- even indoors with no wind.

Mini-tripod convenient but needs mass for stabilization.

* Hole (mentioned in another thread) to remind me to turn off the camera when hood is shut.
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-5  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX Q  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-5  Photo 
11-19-2014, 12:18 PM   #1083
Veteran Member
crewl1's Avatar

Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Los Angeles, CA
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 9,797
QuoteOriginally posted by pacerr Quote
First exploratory shoot with Q + Adaptall-2 SP 500/8 (55B). IQ OOC.

Target distance approximately 22 ft/7 M.

Motion blur is a real issue at 2800mm mag -- even indoors with no wind.

Mini-tripod convenient but needs mass for stabilization.

* Hole (mentioned in another thread) to remind me to turn off the camera when hood is shut.
Looks very good, as I thought the f8 would cause diffraction. Look forward to the long shots.
11-19-2014, 01:06 PM   #1084
Loyal Site Supporter
pacerr's Avatar

Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Henry, TN
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 2,910
QuoteQuote:
the f8 would cause diffraction
I could be wrong about this, but I believe the F-stop in a cat/mirror lens is solely related to EV and has nothing to do with the size of a physical aperture so diffraction should not be a factor. Same applies to lack of prismatic refraction/fringing.

Corrections are welcome here.

11-20-2014, 07:44 PM   #1085
Pentaxian




Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Savannah, GA
Posts: 5,002
That's much better than anything I could get out of the 55BB w/ the Q. (I was probably using the cheapo adapter at the time which may have had something to do with it.) I did shoot a bird with the Russian 500/8 the other day that looked ok, haven't made a serious effort yet. I just received a Q7 and will be having fun with all that...
11-20-2014, 09:30 PM   #1086
Loyal Site Supporter
pacerr's Avatar

Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Henry, TN
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 2,910
I find it ironic that I acquired the Q just to explore a cheap, light weight path to extreme tele FLs and within 3 days I'm already considering tying the whole kit to a 5-pound block of lead with a 'pod head to eliminate camera motion blur . . . fortunately, I'm not interested in BIFs. An' that WAS with the cheap adapter.

However, I'm beginning to re-think it as the 1/2-frame Oly Pen-F system I once used when a Spotty wasn't an option. I suspect that would call for a Q7 upgrade though.
11-21-2014, 10:19 AM   #1087
Veteran Member
crewl1's Avatar

Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Los Angeles, CA
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 9,797
QuoteOriginally posted by pacerr Quote
I find it ironic that I acquired the Q just to explore a cheap, light weight path to extreme tele FLs and within 3 days I'm already considering tying the whole kit to a 5-pound block of lead with a 'pod head to eliminate camera motion blur . . . fortunately, I'm not interested in BIFs. An' that WAS with the cheap adapter.

However, I'm beginning to re-think it as the 1/2-frame Oly Pen-F system I once used when a Spotty wasn't an option. I suspect that would call for a Q7 upgrade though.
It's all downhill from here. Eventually you will buy a $1200 lens to make your Q telephoto shots look just right
11-23-2014, 02:29 PM   #1088
Loyal Site Supporter
Mikesul's Avatar

Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Phoenix, AZ
Posts: 2,656
Moon Q7 DA*300

I had forgotten about this photo. Moon photos are somewhat new to me but the top of the moon does not seem as sharp as the lower half. Is this avoidable? Hard to believe that DOF makes much difference at that difference but maybe. Since it was on the adapter I do not remember the aperture.

Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX Q7  Photo 
11-24-2014, 04:15 AM   #1089
Pentaxian
LensBeginner's Avatar

Join Date: Sep 2014
Photos: Albums
Posts: 2,604
QuoteOriginally posted by Mikesul Quote
I had forgotten about this photo. Moon photos are somewhat new to me but the top of the moon does not seem as sharp as the lower half. Is this avoidable? Hard to believe that DOF makes much difference at that difference but maybe. Since it was on the adapter I do not remember the aperture.
I bet it's only the way the light of the sun hits the surface... in the lower part you have stronger shadows hence more contrast...
11-29-2014, 04:32 AM - 1 Like   #1090
Site Supporter




Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Melbourne Australia
Posts: 291
A better shot tonight, probably as good as I'll get:



Those from the k-x are still sharper.
11-29-2014, 06:15 AM   #1091
Site Supporter




Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Northern Wisconsin
Posts: 703
QuoteOriginally posted by alfa75ts Quote
A better shot tonight, probably as good as I'll get:



Those from the k-x are still sharper.
That's pretty darn better! ;-)
11-29-2014, 07:19 AM   #1092
Loyal Site Supporter
Mikesul's Avatar

Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Phoenix, AZ
Posts: 2,656
QuoteOriginally posted by alfa75ts Quote
A better shot tonight, probably as good as I'll get:



Those from the k-x are still sharper.
What lens were you using? That is scary close to the craters!
11-29-2014, 11:19 AM   #1093
Pentaxian
Weevil's Avatar

Join Date: May 2012
Location: Near Montréal, Québec
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 2,617
QuoteOriginally posted by Mikesul Quote
What lens were you using? That is scary close to the craters!
That's pretty good indeed !
11-29-2014, 12:05 PM   #1094
Site Supporter




Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Melbourne Australia
Posts: 291
QuoteOriginally posted by Mikesul Quote
What lens were you using? That is scary close to the craters!
See posts 1060 and 1062, two pages back.


Link to full size image : here.

K-x full size image: here.
11-29-2014, 12:11 PM   #1095
Loyal Site Supporter
Mikesul's Avatar

Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Phoenix, AZ
Posts: 2,656
QuoteOriginally posted by alfa75ts Quote
See posts 1060 and 1062, two pages back.


Link to full size image : here.

K-x full size image: here.
Thanks. Should have been following the thread closer
Reply

Bookmarks
  • Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook
  • Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter
  • Submit Thread to Digg Digg
Tags - Make this thread easier to find by adding keywords to it!
adaptor, camera, focus, frame, hummingbird, images, iso, loupe, marco, mirrorless, nikon, pentax, pentax q, pentax q10, pentax q7, q-s1, q10, q7, setup, shot, shots, sigma 500mm, sort, thanks
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Post your "Park Bench" "or "Picnic Table" images tessfully Mini-Challenges, Games, and Photo Stories 1438 12 Hours Ago 02:13 PM
Don't say Pentax "Q" in French ... "Q" = "cul" = "A--" Jean Poitiers Pentax Q 52 11-10-2013 06:25 AM
"Focus Adjustment Washer" replacement...(with images) Catalana Pentax K-5 18 11-04-2012 03:40 PM
"Real Life" K5 AF.C images yet? jpzk Pentax K-5 69 02-02-2011 03:48 AM
How do I turn this so-called "film" into images? Todd Adamson Pentax Medium Format 12 01-07-2011 03:33 PM



All times are GMT -7. The time now is 02:25 AM. | See also: NikonForums.com, CanonForums.com part of our network of photo forums!
  • Red (Default)
  • Green
  • Gray
  • Dark
  • Dark Yellow
  • Dark Blue
  • Old Red
  • Old Green
  • Old Gray
  • Dial-Up Style
Hello! It's great to see you back on the forum! Have you considered joining the community?
register
Creating a FREE ACCOUNT takes under a minute, removes ads, and lets you post! [Dismiss]
Top