Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-23-2012, 03:41 PM   #106
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by mamethot Quote
I went to the flying field today, probably one last time until next year. Had a little fun with the FE.
Cool airplane! Is that yours? I need to pick up an FE for the Q, but have been spending more time and $ on the tele setup.

Would be great to see the hummingbird as a giant beast at 106".

10-23-2012, 03:44 PM   #107
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Aegon Quote
Their little hearts must beat so hard, you can count every beat.
Thanks. It does seem pretty hyper up close, right? There was also another guy buzzing nearby, that's why it kept looking around.
10-23-2012, 03:51 PM   #108
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by VisualDarkness Quote
I heard National Geographic calling...
You so funny
10-23-2012, 04:49 PM   #109
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Aegon Quote
Amazing hummingbird video. Their little hearts must beat so hard, you can count every beat.

Either that or they've got a nervous tick.
I noticed that also so I had to look it up. While perched like this one, their heartbeat is 500-600 beats per minute. When in a chase it can go as high as 1240 bpm.

I had to go back to view the video a couple more times in HD and full screen on my 24" monitor - Mrs Stormtech really enjoyed it also!

10-23-2012, 05:05 PM   #110
Loyal Site Supporter

That hummingbird video is amazing! I wish I had had a Q and adapter this spring when a hummingbird nested 10 meters or so from my window. Even when they perch they're never still -- that "look left, look right, look left..." routine is very familiar from my many observing sessions. With luck I will get another hummer nest to shoot next spring and by then I will have the Q.
10-23-2012, 06:00 PM   #111
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by stormtech Quote
While perched like this one, their heartbeat is 500-600 beats per minute. When in a chase it can go as high as 1240 bpm.
Wow that's pretty amazing. Guess I better keep the feeders topped off with go-juice

QuoteOriginally posted by baro-nite Quote
With luck I will get another hummer nest to shoot next spring and by then I will have the Q.
That would be so cool! With all the hummers living around here I have yet to see a nest, no luck there,
10-23-2012, 09:19 PM   #112
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Original Poster
Increible video crewl1! The quality is awesome. Hummers are amazing. I need to try video. Rarely even think of it when shooting.
thanks
barondla
10-23-2012, 09:33 PM   #113
Veteran Member

Thanks Barondla.
It's funny but I think the video from the Q is almost better than the static shots with the adapted lens, it really does a nice job.
I think I will be using it every chance I get as it gives another dimension to the creatures, being able to record their movements

10-26-2012, 09:38 AM   #114
Veteran Member

There is a small group of deer that like to dine on the manicured lawn of a local cemetery, but they scramble as soon as they see a human walking remotely near.

They don't seem to mind cars, though so I decided to sneak up on them and shoot them from the truck. I used a Manfrotto 243 window clamp that I just picked up to be able to use the truck as a blind

The video was shot with the Sigma 70-200 as the deer move out of frame too quickly when using the DA*300 which I used for the photos.

The lighting was poor and to keep ISO down I shot at low shutter speed so only a few of the shots were not blurry. (I find that anything over base ISO reduces quality with these longer shots on the Q so it is a bit of a battle.)

iPhone shows the buffer distance they kept between them and the truck, if I would roll any closer they would move away until they were comfortable again.

10-26-2012, 12:19 PM   #115
Site Supporter

Very cool, Larry. Now that shot with the iPhone has allowed me to realize the magnification factor and I am very impressed!
10-26-2012, 01:26 PM - 1 Like   #116
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by mamethot Quote
Now that shot with the iPhone has allowed me to realize the magnification factor and I am very impressed!
Mamethot, yes the range is very impressive indeed, I am finding however that the Q is a good tool with good lighting.

In the shots above I am really pushing the limits of the Q for this application since it really needs the lower ISO and higher shutter speeds(which I could not use), along with careful focus (which I have missed) to be able to shine for photographs.

The Q seems to be more forgiving with video in challenging situations, though.

When the conditions are difficult like this , I think using the excellent DA*300 natively on the K-5 gives very good results that can be successfully cropped to approximate the output of the Q.

Shot with DA*300+K-5

Crop from DA*300+K-5 to approximate Q output.

Last edited by crewl1; 10-26-2012 at 01:34 PM.
10-27-2012, 04:28 PM   #117
Forum Member

Not a lot in it really which is a shame bearing in mind that the K5 shot must be a lot easier to take.
11-08-2012, 10:06 PM   #118
Veteran Member

Check out this FA*300 on the Q. (Not my video)

11-08-2012, 11:24 PM   #119
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
That's a wonderful result!
11-13-2012, 09:27 AM   #120

Hi, i just bought a Q from a member on this forum, i will be using it almost exclusively for long range photos, with my FA*300 f4.5 lens, the F100 f2.8 Macro and maybe the Tamron 70-200 f 2.8, i bought a Pentax RD10 sight for it also and this adapter (the XtendaSight was not available): Amazon.com: Firefield Weaver Camera Adapter: Sports & Outdoors will this adapter by it self be sufficient or will i need other accessories to elevate the RD above the camera (so that the lens will not block the sight of the RD? Thanks ;-)