Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 179 Likes Search this Thread
12-08-2012, 03:00 PM   #166
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Thanks for your Kingfisher story Scott - and I thought it was just me!

I can see the river from my house, and directly off my lawn there is a deep hole which holds a lot of fish even when the water is low in the summer. There is a pair that live right there along the opposite bank.

I can hear him from the house and look out to see him flying back and forth and diving for dinner. As soon as I walk half way from the house, he moves upstream just out of reach like you say. I will sit for a while, and they will carry on up above. After I finally give up after a while and go back up to the house, I look out the window and there he is chattering away as if laughing at me!

However if I sit quietly in our pavilion along the bank, he will land on a certain branch - the same branch every time and clean himself. It's a nice open shot without anything in the way. The only problem is this is ~150' away. I've shot away with my 300mm but it just isn't enough to get a decent fill of the viewfinder. I am hoping the Q will fix that especially that he will sit still of 10-15 minutes at a time on that branch.

Here is what I get with the FA*300

And a pretty heavy crop of the same image

Last edited by photolady95; 04-17-2016 at 02:10 AM.
12-08-2012, 09:31 PM   #167
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by ChrisJ Quote
Again sorry for the delay, coupling a Q to a scope is easy and cheap just a Q>C mount adapter and a C mount to 1.25 Inch tube coupler which just slips into the lens holder of the scope.
Thanks for the info Chris, looks funny to see the tiny Q on that big lens. Look forward to more of your shots.
12-09-2012, 05:52 PM   #168
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by stormtech Quote
I look out the window and there he is chattering away as if laughing at me!]
I have a pair that taunt me also and my view with my 300 is about the same as yours, I will have to wait till next summer to get them with the Q

Hans
12-09-2012, 10:58 PM   #169
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
If I go for the Q, I have some osprey that are going to find themselves on the receiving end of some old prime glass. Have an old 200mm that's itching to be used.

12-10-2012, 08:10 AM   #170
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Sagitta Quote
If I go for the Q, I have some osprey that are going to find themselves on the receiving end of some old prime glass. Have an old 200mm that's itching to be used.
My favorite lens on my Q is a $10 estate sale Super Tackumar 200 f4 you will love it just pull the trigger before all the Q's are gone

Hans
12-13-2012, 04:21 PM - 2 Likes   #171
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Finally had a bit of patchy sun after some cloudy, rainy days. This hummingbird was enjoying getting warmed up a bit.
Q + DA*300, 1/160 sec, ISO 125, F5.6

Just a test to see why pictures uploaded to Photobucket look soft when shared, sorry.

2nd Photobucket test, resized before upload

Last edited by crewl1; 12-13-2012 at 05:04 PM.
12-13-2012, 04:41 PM   #172
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by crewl1 Quote
Finally had a bit of patchy sun after some cloudy, rainy days. This hummingbird was enjoying getting warmed up a bit.
Q + DA*300, 1/160 sec, ISO 125, F5.6

Just a test to see why pictures uploaded to Photobucket look soft when shared, sorry.
Excellent shots, Crewl1, realizing the potential of the Q.

12-13-2012, 04:45 PM   #173
Veteran Member

Very nice Larry, great composition and detail. I have yet to get a hummer with any of my cameras

Hans
12-13-2012, 04:48 PM   #174
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Thanks JVA. The Q+DA*300 actually produces very good IQ results.
(I've been a bit frustrated because I've been using Photobucket to share my pics and when I post them here they always look rather soft as compared to the shots I share through Flickr.
I think the mistake I have been making is that I don't resize my shots before uploading. My investigation continues.)
12-13-2012, 04:50 PM   #175
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Thanks Hans. I'm lucky that I have a few that stay here year round, and I keep feeders up all year so they are always around.
When I see other folks from other places shooting some fabulous birds I feel jealous, but I guess I should be more grateful for what I have access to.
12-13-2012, 05:12 PM   #176
Veteran Member

Thanks for sharing the hummer shots Larry - you really get me itching for when I can get my Q combo out for some wildlife when the weather turns around again (in 4-5 months ). Very nice detail for sure!

While I don't seem to have a problem with the forum software softening images - maybe it is because I am hosting my images on my own rented web space - I've read where others said that you need to resize your photos locally before you upload them (which I have been doing). The main reason for this is that if the images are larger than allowed here, the forum software will automatically resize them which is not being gracious to our photos. The hummer shots you posted look good and sharp - I see you hosted them on flikr and have it sized at 1024x768. That should do the trick I think. I'm pretty sure that Adam just increased the allowed size of displayed images in the forum recently to 1200x800.

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/forum-suggestions-news-help/203806-news-l...hed-posts.html

Anyway, I think the key is to not let the forum software resize your photos.
12-13-2012, 05:31 PM   #177
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by stormtech Quote
The hummer shots you posted look good and sharp - I see you hosted them on flikr and have it sized at 1024x768. That should do the trick I think. I'm pretty sure that Adam just increased the allowed size of displayed images in the forum recently to 1200x800.
Ahhh Ok thanks Stan. The first shot is on Flickr and looks sharper to me than the other two which are on Photobucket. The last one is resized before export but it just doesnt have the detail of the one from Flickr.
I'll keep trying.
12-14-2012, 01:29 AM   #178
Veteran Member

Hi Larry,

Nice work!!!

Now I know why I've always hated people who live on the West Coast. . .

About all the birds I'll be seeing for four months will be House Sparrows and the now ever-present Canada Geese -- they're good for practice, but I have literally thousands of shots of them. . .and even in the summer, we only have Ruby Throated Hummers. ..I've never even seen any other species, except in zoos

It's okay though -- I have quite a few new toys to experiment with over the winter. . .and shovel snow. . .and build snowmen. . .

I always downsize and usually PP (a little NR and sharpening to offset the blurring from downsizing interpolation) my shots before posting. That way I don't leave anything to the whim of the forum software.

Scott
12-14-2012, 03:34 PM   #179
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Thanks Scott. So is your workflow: downsize first, then PP? I may be doing it backwards as I PP the full image, then downsize on export.
12-14-2012, 11:31 PM - 1 Like   #180
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by crewl1 Quote
Thanks Scott. So is your workflow: downsize first, then PP? I may be doing it backwards as I PP the full image, then downsize on export.
Hi Larry,

Actually I have a dedicated workflow for posting since I'm downsizing more than I would normally. I normally shoot in jpeg ***, Natural, high iso NR set to low (and to "off" with DSLRs), in-camera sharpening at -4 (I don't like the way Pentax sharpening biases towards the dark side of edges -- it adds a dark outline where it should not be), and tweak the colors to what I see. This gives me close to what a converted unprocessed RAW file would in a jpeg. My primary PP is done with Topaz DeNoise and InFocus, and these plugins only work with 8 bit files, so I'm not really losing much if I get the exposure close.

I first tweak exposure and contrast if needed

Downsize to about 3/4 res (3000 pixels on the long side) and apply light NR so subsequent sharpening won't exaggerate noise much, then I apply light sharpening to accentuate finer detail so it won't be smoothed over by further downsizing.

Downsize to 1/2 res (now at 2000 pixels on the long side) I add another application of light sharpening if I see I've lost some detail, otherwise just go to the next downsizing.

Downsize to 1700 pixels on the long side, examine, and light sharpening again if needed otherwise . .

Downsize to 1300 pixels on the long side, same as before

Downsize to final 1024 on the long side, add very light sharpening and light NR if needed. I look over the final image looking for excess contrast from sharpening and go over any with the "soften" brush at 3-4% opacity just to take the edge off.

Save to a different file name (usually just add a code that shows res and general PP done) at about 200-250 KB

I downsize in steps so fewer details are lost to the interpolation algorithm and the extra steps allow me to see if I'm losing too much along the way.

I use PSPP X4 with Topaz Denoise for NR and Topaz InFocus for sharpening -- I've developed my own presets for InFocus using only deconvolution sharpening and micro contrast with no conventional sharpening

This is about as close to the original as I can get in such a low res file. It's been slowly evolving for quite a few years. . .and probably will continue to in the future. Kind of involved, especially since the Topaz plugins are relatively slow for what they do, but they're the best that I've tried so far, and I don't post that many pics. . . and I like to show the good ones off a bit. I've gotten so used to the drill, I can almost do it all with my eyes closed now.

Scott