Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 179 Likes Search this Thread
12-30-2012, 07:35 AM   #256
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by crewl1 Quote
Seems like f5.6 is the best aperture for a lot of lenses on the Q.
WOuld love to see a tele that reports 2.8 to be the best. Maybe only the 06 lens
With the 06, I just let the Q decide which f-stop to use... I've yet to out guess it... an amazing mid+ range tele-lens!

Great thread... keep up the good work, all !

Cheers...M

12-30-2012, 08:51 PM   #257

Comparison of the reach between a 200mm and 500mm lens on the Q. Both shots uncropped.

This is with the Nikon 500mm f4 yesterday. There was not enough light so it is at ISO 500 and only 1/80 of a second shutter, pretty sure this was at F4. The feeder was rocking so this has a combination of motion blur and higher ISO blurring details.

More light today so I tried again with a Micro Nikon 200mm F4 AI.

This is ISO 125, F4 or 5.6 at 1/200 of a second.

Bokeh on the 500mm is *much* nicer than on the 200mm.

Shawn
12-31-2012, 06:51 AM   #258
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Shawn67 Quote
This is with the Nikon 500mm f4 yesterday. There was not enough light so it is at ISO 500 and only 1/80 of a second shutter, pretty sure this was at F4. The feeder was rocking so this has a combination of motion blur and higher ISO blurring details.
Looks promising -- I look forward to seeing more shots.

I am thinking some of the best bang-for-buck long glass for the Q might be FD-mount Canon, since the mount is long obsolete. Anyone tried any of these?
12-31-2012, 10:48 AM - 1 Like   #259

My first video footage

Hi, HAPPY NEW YEAR to all of you. I was away last week, to visit my wife's parents, they live in Cali, Colombia, a region with LOTS of Birds, i took a lot of pictures with the K5 and restricted the use of the Pentax Q for taking video footage, which i find it excels in. Here is a short clip of a beautiful bird the Blue Crowned Motmot (Momotus momota) which came to visit at the family weekend house. Shot with the Nikon 300mm f4.5 ED IF lens at f8, manual exposure at ISO 800.

A photo of the setup, light conditions and distance that i usually used while filming this bird:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/51467365@N00/8329863967/in/photostream

Last edited by mgbirder; 12-31-2012 at 11:02 AM.
12-31-2012, 10:51 AM   #260
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Nice video of a pretty bird MGBirder!
12-31-2012, 10:52 AM   #261
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Shawn67 Quote
Comparison of the reach between a 200mm and 500mm lens on the Q. Both shots uncropped.
Pretty good results from the 200, looks like the 500 will need more light to dial it in, but it is awesome reach!
12-31-2012, 10:59 AM   #262
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by mgbirder Quote
i took a lot of pictures with the K5 and restricted the use of the Pentax Q for taking video footage, which i find it excels in.
Well done! Agreed that super-tele video is a strength of the Q, great for wildlife video so long as tracking/panning isn't required.

12-31-2012, 11:38 AM   #263
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by baro-nite Quote

I am thinking some of the best bang-for-buck long glass for the Q might be FD-mount Canon, since the mount is long obsolete. Anyone tried any of these?
Hi baro-nite,

I had the same thought -- I also thought that the non-AI Nikons and some choice OM Zuikos might be easy pickings, but unfortunately we're a bit late to the game with the larger format MILCs with their multiple platform lens adapters having been available for a lot longer, and the demand for these has gone up (which forces the price up). The fast moderate wide and normal lenses sometimes can be had for a song (which is good for us since they become very fast medium and long teles), but the fast teles, while being generally more available than K mounts, are no longer in the "steal" price category, IMO -- especially if you're a Pentax DSLR shooter also, where Pentax mount glass can find dual use.

I have an FD 300 f4 L that's been converted to K mount, and it's an excellent lens -- very sharp wide open with UD glass for CA/PF control -- in the same class optically as my FA* 300 f4.5 IMO. It was badly defaced cosmetically by a former owner who amateurishly engraved his name in large letters on the hood and barrel (I wrapped electrician's tape over it and it's hardly noticeable at first glance), so the price was right for me (under $250 -- for a lens that originally sold for over $1500 in 1978!! ) The market price for these lenses seems to be $450-600, so in about the same range as the A* 300/4. This seems to be up from a year ago, so I think the MILCs (including the Q) has had an effect on the pricing of this class of lens. IMO, it's a better lens optically than the M*/A* 300/4 (slightly sharper, shorter MFD (10' vs13'), and much better CA/PF control, and usually comes with a weird looking, but functional tripod ring), so it can be a bargain, but not a steal. I've not tested this lens on the Q since the FW update, so I'll hold off on a final conclusion until I can trust that I've given it a fair shot with Focus Peaking now in play.

Canon also offered the same spec lens (300mm f4) in a "non - L" version without the UD glass. CA/PF is not as well controlled, so it's always been considered a lesser lens, but center sharpness, in reviews I've seen, is close to the L version. At the current market price of usually under $200, this lens is very abundant on the used market, and would probably be at least a very good, and may be an excellent super tele lens on the Q, for a more than very reasonable price.

Sorry for going on, but I'm easily excitable about this subject. . .

Scott

Last edited by snostorm; 12-31-2012 at 11:44 AM.
12-31-2012, 12:13 PM   #264
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Thanks Scott. $450-600 for a high-quality 300/4 is, if not a steal, still a good price. For that spec I'd rather spend more to get the DA* 300/4, so I'm more thinking 300/2.8, 400/2.8, or 400/4.5. Of course one of the advantages of the Q system is small size and light weight, which would be completely negated by such a lens...
01-02-2013, 04:26 AM   #265
Veteran Member

I just received my K and C KIWI adapters and I must say that they both seem to work perfectly. I've had no problems with the K one being a too tight fit, with the lenses I've tried, as people reported. The only thing is the short throw of the aperture mechanism that makes hard to use. I guess the official one got a longer throw and clicks?

I took some shots and a video of the bird feeder through a window from the porch. Here's the video, Pentax DA* 300mm F4 wide open:
01-03-2013, 04:48 PM   #266
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Hadn't taken a pic of the Bigma with the Q. There is a camera in there somewhere

01-03-2013, 04:54 PM   #267
Veteran Member

What an awesome sight! And, I am impressed with the color matching of everything.
01-03-2013, 04:59 PM   #268
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by stormtech Quote
What an awesome sight! And, I am impressed with the color matching of everything.
It is! It actually looks a bit ominous, I'd probably get hassled trying to take pictures in some places.
01-03-2013, 05:04 PM   #269
Veteran Member

It is! It actually looks a bit ominous, I'd probably get hassled trying to take pictures in some places.
Around here, if anybody did see me with a rig like that, they would just huff and walk away mumbling something about a guy who is kind of nuts.

I see you have the plate slid pretty far back on the gimbal mount - did you get it to balance properly?
01-03-2013, 05:30 PM   #270
Veteran Member

Hadn't taken a pic of the Bigma with the Q. There is a camera in there somewhere
Haha, nice setup! I see why you need the sight after trying out my Sigma 150-500 with the Q.