Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-21-2013, 07:56 PM   #466
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by VisualDarkness Quote
I tried to do the same now that the weather cleared up a bit but the moon and Jupiter were way too low.
Great pic!
I'm having that problem with saturn plus the -22.7C temperature. Very hard on the fingers

01-21-2013, 08:08 PM   #467
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by ivoire Quote
I'm having that problem with saturn plus the -22.7C temperature. Very hard on the fingers
-18C here and I didn't freeze at all. Woolen socks, warm shoes, jeans, thermo pants, t-shirt, warm thick shirt, woolen overcoat, hat and a couple of thin leather gloves and you're set!
01-22-2013, 12:27 AM - 1 Like   #468
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I threw together a short video of my settings with the Q and DA*300 to hopefully help folks who are just starting out with the Q and adapted tele lens.
Questions and comments welcome.
01-22-2013, 04:12 AM   #469
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by crewl1 Quote
I threw together a short video of my settings with the Q and DA*300 to hopefully help folks who are just starting out with the Q and adapted tele lens.
Setting up to shoot the Q and DA*300 - YouTube
Crewl1,

Thanks for taking the time to create and post this! I'm going to check this out this week.

I just got my Fotodiox adapter and I'm anxious to try it on my Sigma 70-200/2.8. I also just ordered a Pentax M-135 off eBay for $40 to play with as well.

Any special advice on using focus-peaking?

01-22-2013, 06:49 AM   #470
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Helpful video -- well done. The point about the adapter aperture setting reminds me of something I need to check. My copy of the adapter doesn't stop turning at the zero mark -- it goes past by half a stop or so (in terms of distance traveled by the ring). Is this normal? I need to do some testing.
01-22-2013, 07:02 AM   #471
Veteran Member

Very nice Larry. I think you should start a thread with your video on its own with a proper title. This way folks will be able to find it easier than it being buried 30 pages into this thread.

I know when I am looking for something in the forum, I will usually search for "titles only" in the search field or you get way too many results. And then the results you do get may be buried 30 pages into a thread.

Only suggestion (not trying to criticize here...) is maybe do another one exactly like that with the video camera on a tripod.
01-22-2013, 09:31 AM   #472
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by DaveInPA Quote
Crewl1,

Thanks for taking the time to create and post this! I'm going to check this out this week.

I just got my Fotodiox adapter and I'm anxious to try it on my Sigma 70-200/2.8. I also just ordered a Pentax M-135 off eBay for $40 to play with as well.

Any special advice on using focus-peaking?
I like the Sigma 70-200 2.8 on the Q, I have the HSM II version and I found the best spot for it is #2 on the Fotodiox which gives about a 5.6 F stop.

This lens particularly requires that the Fotodiox be modified to have the internal reflections reduced since it has an element very close to the rear that can catch reflections. I painted the adapter with flat black spray paint inside, masking off the aperture mechanism. Use a good quality spray paint, not a 99c cheap store brand so it will stick well. Rustoleum or Krylon or something for engine parts from the auto supply store should work.

If you try it without, you will get a kind of smoky hazy look to the pictures in shots with a lot of light.

The first two images in this post shows the IQ before the paint https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-q/173602-reach-q-images-3.html#post2116729

This shows what you can get afterwards https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-q/173602-reach-q-images-5.html#post2120904

As far as focus Peaking, it really depends on the subject and shooting conditions as to when it will be most effective.
When shooting birds outdoors with the longer lenses I usually turn it off because I can get a better focus view with the 4x magnification, and now I am using a lcd loupe which really helps.
In dimmer lighting the peaking helps. Just try it both ways and see which you like better.

01-22-2013, 09:39 AM - 1 Like   #473
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by stormtech Quote
Very nice Larry. I think you should start a thread with your video on its own with a proper title. This way folks will be able to find it easier than it being buried 30 pages into this thread.

I know when I am looking for something in the forum, I will usually search for "titles only" in the search field or you get way too many results. And then the results you do get may be buried 30 pages into a thread.

Only suggestion (not trying to criticize here...) is maybe do another one exactly like that with the video camera on a tripod.
Thanks Stan. Yeah I used my iPhone and I don't have a tripod mount for it.
Just wanted to get something out quick to help Amy since I was not near my equipment this weekend when she was testing things out.

If it looks helpful to folks I'll try to do another and use the second Q to record it so it will be steadier

Maybe we can start a Tips and Tricks thread for the Q with adapted lenses?
01-22-2013, 09:52 AM   #474
Veteran Member

Thanks Stan. Yeah I used my iPhone and I don't have a tripod mount for it.
Just wanted to get something out quick to help Amy since I was not near my equipment this weekend when she was testing things out.

If it looks helpful to folks I'll try to do another and use the second Q to record it so it will be steadier

Maybe we can start a Tips and Tricks thread for the Q with adapted lenses?
Well for doing the video on a phone that is quite impressive!

A title like that may work well. There are a lot of new Q owners coming around since the Groupon cameras are now landing. For someone coming to the Q section for the first time, the title of this thread "The "reach" of the Q images" might not mean the proper thing to them.

Or maybe something more simple - in your starting post for the "Adapted Lenses Tested On the Q" - you could put a link on that page near the top to the post of yours with the video and any others that may help folks with this subject.
01-22-2013, 10:00 AM   #475
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by baro-nite Quote
Helpful video -- well done. The point about the adapter aperture setting reminds me of something I need to check. My copy of the adapter doesn't stop turning at the zero mark -- it goes past by half a stop or so (in terms of distance traveled by the ring). Is this normal? I need to do some testing.
Baro-nite my adapter also goes to the N in OPEN.
Seems to be designed that way, possibly to allow for variances in different lens manufacturer aperture assemblies.
01-22-2013, 10:10 AM   #476
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by stormtech Quote
Well for doing the video on a phone that is quite impressive!

A title like that may work well. There are a lot of new Q owners coming around since the Groupon cameras are now landing. For someone coming to the Q section for the first time, the title of this thread "The "reach" of the Q images" might not mean the proper thing to them.

Or maybe something more simple - in your starting post for the "Adapted Lenses Tested On the Q" - you could put a link on that page near the top to the post of yours with the video and any others that may help folks with this subject.
Good idea - I'll add a section in the first post. PM me with any items you have found helpful.
01-22-2013, 10:22 AM   #477
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Would someone with experience kindly point me to +/- posts of the Fotodiox versus Pentax Q>K adapters. All I ahve so far is the price differential, paint versus painted, presumptively OEM quality in the Pentax and possibility of eventually getting a tripod foot for the Pentax.

I think I can tease out the operating stuff (aperture on adapter versus lens) from the various threads, and much of the rest seems pretty standard for long lenses (HD support, remote release, long exposure times for celestial, etc.).

Anything else?
01-22-2013, 10:24 AM   #478
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Baro-nite my adapter also goes to the N in OPEN.
Seems to be designed that way, possibly to allow for variances in different lens manufacturer aperture assemblies.
Thanks; I've just done a quick test and will report in the reference thread.
01-22-2013, 10:39 AM   #479
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by monochrome Quote
Would someone with experience kindly point me to +/- posts of the Fotodiox versus Pentax Q>K adapters. All I ahve so far is the price differential, paint versus painted, presumptively OEM quality in the Pentax and possibility of eventually getting a tripod foot for the Pentax.

I think I can tease out the operating stuff (aperture on adapter versus lens) from the various threads, and much of the rest seems pretty standard for long lenses (HD support, remote release, long exposure times for celestial, etc.).

Anything else?
The info is kind of spread out in this thread by Barondla https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-q/205119-original-pentax-q-pk-adap...ni-review.html
01-22-2013, 10:48 AM   #480
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Thanks; I've just done a quick test and will report in the reference thread.
It's been noted elsewhere that the aperture ring on the Pentax K->Q adapter turns past 0 on the scale, about half a step beyond. Does 0 really mean 0? I did a quick test, photographing a gray wall lit with off-camera flash. I then checked how much exposure compensation was required in RAW processing to get the same mean brightness level. My findings: Reference point is turning the ring until it stops (at the N in OPEN). Compared to this, the 0 setting is a quarter-stop slower. The 1/2 setting is .9 stops slower. The 1 setting is 1.3 stops slower.
There is a table in the adapter manual that specifies resulting settings that I have been going by, but real world may be different. Which lens did you use to do your testing?
Attached Images